Question about glass fibre cable and currents

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Azurl

Jul 29, 2019
Hi! I have built a Lightningrod on top of a tower, with 4 HV transformers on it's sides, and one MFSU in each corner between the HV-transformers. after that a glass fiber cable comes out of the MFSUs and join to make a single cable down to my future workshop/factory. each MFSU can dish out 512 EU/tick, will these four add it up to 2056 EU/tick and blow the cable, or is the total output still 512?

ItharianEngineering

Jul 29, 2019
It is still 512 EU/t but it will have 4 packets of 512 EU/t so it will be fine. Cables can run unlimited packets as long as no packet goes beyond the cables limit.

Azurl

Jul 29, 2019
Awesome, I have two of those setups built atop two towers, will be an awesome power generation as they're in a charged age. thanx for the answer!

Exe19

Jul 29, 2019
Every cable can hold unlimited EU per TICK, but limited EU per PACKET. Every tick each MFSU sends packet of 521 EU. Only size of packet matters, not number of them. Cable "don't care" that you send through them one 512 EU packet (512EU/t) or four (2048EU/t) or even 1000 (512000 EU/t) packets at once.

natchu96

Jul 29, 2019
Every cable can hold unlimited EU per TICK, but limited EU per PACKET. Every tick each MFSU sends packet of 521 EU. Only size of packet matters, not number of them. Cable "don't care" that you send through them one 512 EU packet (512EU/t) or four (2048EU/t) or even 1000 (512000 EU/t) packets at once.
Which seems to mean that, in theory, you can probably have several billion EU going down glass fibre if you split them enough. But that both makes no sense at all and will probably lag you out.

Azurl

Jul 29, 2019
Cool, well I won't use that many, I think this will be enough to power my machines

Xen0n

Jul 29, 2019

Grumpy explains everything you need to know. If you are wanting to learn alot about FTB I highly recommend you subscribe to him. His videos are very informative and clear

firas55556

Jul 29, 2019
This can be very usefull to know when overclocking machines and when you want voltage to remain at the lowest possible level.
One thing I didn't "get" is: can you hook one mfe to a glass fibre--> connect 1 lv-transformer to that-->more glass fibre-->then 5 batboxes-->low voltage glass fibre cable that has 5X32 eu/t ?

SilvasRuin

Jul 29, 2019
By having five different cables come off the transformer, it pulls five different packets from the transformer. Then combining the cables would send all the packets through one cable. Now... I'm not all that familiar with how power is pulled from batboxes and the like, but that sounds awfully messy and probably completely unnecessary... Anyone more familiar with IC2 want to explain how/why this would be "needed"?

firas55556

Jul 29, 2019
By having five different cables come off the transformer, it pulls five different packets from the transformer. Then combining the cables would send all the packets through one cable. Now... I'm not all that familiar with how power is pulled from batboxes and the like, but that sounds awfully messy and probably completely unnecessary... Anyone more familiar with IC2 want to explain how/why this would be "needed"?
So all the faces of the transformesr are regarded as separate sources?

makeshiftwings

Jul 29, 2019
This can be very usefull to know when overclocking machines and when you want voltage to remain at the lowest possible level.
One thing I didn't "get" is: can you hook one mfe to a glass fibre--> connect 1 lv-transformer to that-->more glass fibre-->then 5 batboxes-->low voltage glass fibre cable that has 5X32 eu/t ?
The power comes out of the MFE as one 128 EU packet. It comes out of the LV-Transformer as four simultaneous 32 EU packets. So it's a total of 128 EU/t both before and after coming out of the transformer; the transformer just breaks it into smaller "chunks".

firas55556

Jul 29, 2019
The power comes out of the MFE as one 128 EU packet. It comes out of the LV-Transformer as four simultaneous 32 EU packets. So it's a total of 128 EU/t both before and after coming out of the transformer; the transformer just breaks it into smaller "chunks".
Ya, I know that it does so. It is just he mechanics behind it that are unclear to me.
Does four cables from one transformer count as one source or four, and similar questions.

eculc

Jul 29, 2019
This is the best way to understand how EU works:

IC2 wiki said:
"In IC2 electricity is only a buzz word for small magical dwarfs carrying nanobatteries. From every energy source or storage there is one dwarf released every tick. Size of a dwarf is determined by amount of energy they are carrying. Cables are in reality just a tunnels where they run. If a cable or machine don't provide enough space for a dwarf it will get angry and blow up.
However many dwarfs are happy to run alongside each other and will in cooperation carry any amount of energy through a cable. Big dwarf will still prefer to blow up, then to split, but he can split into smaller dwarfs in transformer. Every smaller dwarf which is produced by transformer can go to the same output tunnel.
These useful little creatures are also sometimes nicknamed packets."

firas55556

Jul 29, 2019
This is the best way to understand how EU works:
A little simplisitc and as I said, I understand that part, however the tidbit of of several dwarfs from one transformer was what I wanted to know: transformer faces counts as different sources even if they go to same cable.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
I've never really worried about it too much really. I know that at this point in my power system, I'm producing 128 power, and at this point, it's now 32 so I can plug my machines in. As long as I've got numbers in my storage boxes, I know my system is all powered. That's enough for me.

If I'm losing a small % of my power, not a big deal, considering virtually everything in game is infinite. A few simple solar panels will cover the cost of any energy wastage.

Just wish you got more cable for your diamonds....

firas55556

Jul 29, 2019
I've never really worried about it too much really. I know that at this point in my power system, I'm producing 128 power, and at this point, it's now 32 so I can plug my machines in. As long as I've got numbers in my storage boxes, I know my system is all powered. That's enough for me.

If I'm losing a small % of my power, not a big deal, considering virtually everything in game is infinite. A few simple solar panels will cover the cost of any energy wastage.

Just wish you got more cable for your diamonds....
It is more a case of "how fast can I get my machines to go with overclockers without running low on internal energy storage"
And having seperate power grids for high voltage is pain in the ass, really annyoing to place a machine to have it instantly blow up since you forgot the voltage XD

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Well, if I overclock, I know I need to generate more power in my system.
As to the power grid, I ran mine at medium, and when I carried the power to a central location, I put a transformer, then ran everything from that location from that transformer. No confusion then.