Quarries and steam engines Oh My

Dylan Meurs

Jul 29, 2019
so currently in the 152ngt pack I am running a quarry with 4 hobbyist's steam engines, so far it has run great, what I've noticed though is it is digging up a dismal amount of coal, also it seems like my engines are randomly obtaining coal without my intervention, i'm on a single player world so I know there is no one putting it in there while i'm not around. so my question is, do these engines actually accept coal straight from the quarry?

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
The quarry will eject items into any available inventory slot. Normally this is either a chest next to the quarry or some type of transport system. If you want to avoid this, use some type of energy conduit to connect the engine to the quarry rather than placing the engines directly on the quarry.

AlanEsh

Jul 29, 2019
You can test that easily enough. Just take a couple of stacks of coal and throw them on the ground in the path of your quarry beam. The beam will suck up loose items -- just check your fuel levels immediately prior and after dropping the coal.

/edit

And if you want to improve your power system's fuel efficiency, make an 8 block low pressure boiler and a 4 block solid fuel firebox. Use that to provide steam to your engines and you'll get better fuel efficiency, plus your Hobbyists will output 25% more power. Or better yet, build 4x Commercial Steam engines and power those with the boiler instead, for 2x the quarry speed on the same size boiler.
Just put a coal/charcoal fuel chest next to your boiler firebox and it will auto feed as needed.

Dylan Meurs

Jul 29, 2019
yeah I found out by watching it that it seems to be doing exactly what I described, but thanks for the info alan, i'll have to see if I have the resources to get more efficient :D