Power generation - the next stage?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

eric167

Jul 29, 2019
Monster has version 23 of the Reika mods but anyway...
I highly suggest using a HTGR Pebble bed from Reactorcraft. Cheap and, if done right, can produce more power in less space then a giant Big Reactor.
yep.
8 core PBR, feeding 4x6 boilers piping into a HP turbine/turbine generator will spit out ~4.2GW and 750k RF/t.
the first version I built, prior to the HP turbine, was able to run 4x small turbines at max, for ~3.8 GW (950MW per turbine) output and moderate steam buildup. double that if I went with ammonia.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
yep.
8 core PBR, feeding 4x6 boilers piping into a HP turbine/turbine generator will spit out ~4.2GW and 750k RF/t.
the first version I built, prior to the HP turbine, was able to run 4x small turbines at max, for ~3.8 GW (950MW per turbine) output and moderate steam buildup. double that if I went with ammonia.
fwiw, the numbers I gave previously assume 940MW per turbine, which I felt was a bit more honest.

Also, these reactors won't legitimately start an HP turbine in the most recent version. You can "kickstart" the HP turbine by letting steam build, but eventually it will shut down (when the steamline entering the turbine has < ~35m^3 steam.

True for V23d.

Brian Cherrick

Jul 5, 2013
Make a blaze spawner and a slime spawner for blaze powder and magma cream. Coal well wither skellie spawner but you should have enough of it :p Ethanol crystal is quite easy to automate, need a sugar cane farm and (if you want) an MFR on harvest leaves mode (I personnaly just go harvest leaves of silverwood/greatwood with it) Netherack and soul sand can be done with a few boring machine in the nether around y=60

oh and they also require some gearbox and possibly lub depending on the version and gearbox you use

Takes a while to get ready, but once you have it, fairly easy!

Just trap a magma cube and cut down on power consumption for the cream

jtloft05598

Jul 29, 2019
This is a question for those with encyclopaedic knowledge of mods. I'm looking for options for high-end power generation. For now, I have enough to run all my machines, but I have some long-term plans that require crazy amounts of power. What options are there?

I've looked into several mods. ReactorCraft's Fusion reactor is probably where I want to end up should things go well, but I'm not sure I'm ready to tackle that yet. Big Reactors? Looks fairly cool and has the advantage of outputting RF, but I prefer a setup with less fantastic new ores (unless it's magical power generation, don't know if there is such a thing). IC2 nuclear power? Done that before, wasn't impressed, also power conversion would be a problem. Any other options?

Currently, I'm creating about 5-6 kRF/t with four RoC solar towers (three of them running in a Mystcraft age with eternal day), one Railcraft steam boiler powering 16 TE steam dynamos and 10 compression dynamos running on Forestry Ethanol. What I'm looking for is a way to push my power generation up by an order of magnitude, for all the MFFS and AE crazinesss I'm planning. A high degree of renewability (alternative: extreme fuel efficiency) is desirable.

Note that while I can and will add mods from other ftb packs to my DW20 setup like I did with RoC, I can't update mods to versions which aren't in any ftb pack (like RoC 23). I've tried. It makes the launcher crash. BTW, if someone knows a way around that, I'd like to know.

I would highly recommend pairing the endothermic pump, 2 endertanks and a load of magmatic engines. you can do this mid way through the game and it is low maintenance and unlimited. Lava power is definatly the way to go!

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
I'm ready for the next stage in power. Since early game I've been running a big block of TE3 dynamos alongside 64 IC2 semifluid generators for all my power needs. It's time for something else even tho this power has been - and still is - sufficient for me. It's served me very well, but I'm bored. :)

So I took my 663 Yellorium ores that were just sitting there and ran em thru a Sag Mill and smelted the output - 1326 Yellorium ingots and 25 Cyanite ingots. Time to learn something new! I've been saving a link to this reddit post for a while now... it seemed to be good and important info. Maybe I can finally understand it! I see there's a good wiki too: http://wiki.technicpack.net/Big_Reactors

Reactions: Wagon153

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
@Pyure:
Regarding the Jet Fuel: I'll be trying that at some time for temporary power boosts, but getting the tar reliably and continuously may pose a problem. Magic Bees has a solution, but that's some way off.

BTW, is there a way to get a regular Blaze Spawner set up in the overworld? I've been using an MFR autospawner so far, but it would be better to use a method that doesn't require additional resources like Mob Essence.

Geometry

Jul 29, 2019
@Pyure:
Regarding the Jet Fuel: I'll be trying that at some time for temporary power boosts, but getting the tar reliably and continuously may pose a problem. Magic Bees has a solution, but that's some way off.

BTW, is there a way to get a regular Blaze Spawner set up in the overworld? I've been using an MFR autospawner so far, but it would be better to use a method that doesn't require additional resources like Mob Essence.
Use the RoC spawner controller. It requires some power, but at max speed, it can spawn hundreds of mobs in a matter of seconds. It's the fastest method to spawn mobs known to man; watch this to get an idea of what it is capable of.

Reactions: Pyure and Padfoote

madnewmy

Jul 29, 2019
@Pyure:

What the other guy said is the best ;)
diamond dolly or bedrock pickaxe to move it ;)

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Use the RoC spawner controller. It requires some power, but at max speed, it can spawn hundreds of mobs in a matter of seconds. It's the fastest method to spawn mobs known to man; watch this to get an idea of what it is capable of.
Generally speaking, this.

If your modpack has the auto spawner (MFR I believe), that. At low power, its way faster (RotaryCraft spawner controller is basically as fast as a standard spawner until you give it decent power, thus not very useful at all).

At high power, the spawner controller is way faster. But it also lets mobs spawn when its unpowered, which can be undesirable. Its also a bit easier to power (conduits being easier to run than shafts, bevels or rotary hubs.)

madnewmy

Jul 29, 2019
Generally speaking, this.

If your modpack has the auto spawner (MFR I believe), that. At low power, its way faster (RotaryCraft spawner controller is basically as fast as a standard spawner until you give it decent power, thus not very useful at all).

At high power, the spawner controller is way faster. But it also lets mobs spawn when its unpowered, which can be undesirable. Its also a bit easier to power (conduits being easier to run than shafts, bevels or rotary hubs.)

If you unpower it and light up the place I think it completly stops spawning mob...

when it as no power it seems to act like a regular spawner

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
If you unpower it and light up the place I think it completly stops spawning mob...

when it as no power it seems to act like a regular spawner
Some spawners act differently. In this case I believe we're talking about blaze spawners, and an unpowered RoC spawn controller lets them spawn as I recall.

Or maybe I dropped the ball in my spawn factory and am giving myself grief for no reason...

madnewmy

Jul 29, 2019
Some spawners act differently. In this case I believe we're talking about blaze spawners, and an unpowered RoC spawn controller lets them spawn as I recall.

Or maybe I dropped the ball in my spawn factory and am giving myself grief for no reason...

Maybe :p
I let mine run to 10k rods then cut the power, but its for the whole server so it's more often then not running :p

Oh and a little thing with spawner controllers, you can get a enderman spawner in roguelike dungeon :3 so much ender pearls :D

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
Maybe :p
I let mine run to 10k rods then cut the power, but its for the whole server so it's more often then not running :p

Oh and a little thing with spawner controllers, you can get a enderman spawner in roguelike dungeon :3 so much ender pearls :D

I hate when mods add stuff like that. Ender Pearls are an important balancing mechanic for almost every major mod.

madnewmy

Jul 29, 2019
I hate when mods add stuff like that. Ender Pearls are an important balancing mechanic for almost every major mod.

and this is why people get to automate it, there is tons of other ways! grinder + cursed earth will get you a good chunk to start with and when you can get a safari net and autospawner running constanly, spawn those endermans with no tomorrow :p

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
and this is why people get to automate it, there is tons of other ways! grinder + cursed earth will get you a good chunk to start with and when you can get a safari net and autospawner running constanly, spawn those endermans with no tomorrow :p

I dont think I will ever stray away from my snowman factory for mob essence.

Reactions: netmc and madnewmy