Power Comparison Spreadsheet

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
Seems like the right place to ask these two questions.

Which generates power more efficiently off of biofuel, a mfr bio gen or hp boiler with industrial steam engines?

And the second, which creates biofuel more effectively per sapling/components, MFR or Forestry?

I would say go with MFR for the farms. I have never used boilers, so I can't answer your first question.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Huh. Did IC2's geothermal generators (and GregTech's thermals) get a massive buff recently while I wasn't looking?

Recommendation: add typical numbers for nuclear reactors in addition to the "varies by design" line.
- internal cooling: up to ca. 500 EU/t, high output comes in tandem with low fuel efficiency
- external cooling: up to ca. 2000 EU/t, very expensive, full automation required
- condensator cooling: greater than 4000 EU/t, extremely expensive and unsafe, full automation required

P.S.: Your Redpower numbers are off. Output depends on network voltage, which is variable. You need to either specify which voltage you're talking about, or give the rating in Ampere. See my guide for a quick summary of peak outputs (under "numbers reference"). The thermopile has its output given for the best stable configuration, all others degrade within seconds to minutes. Also, the blulectric engine doesn't really go over 25 MJ/t.

UE is potentially affected by a similar issue of defining power based on voltage, though I've not looked into the exact mechanics.

Bibble

Jul 29, 2019
1. I don't know the figures for it, but a 36 HP steam boiler will run for 1 hour on 36 buckets of biofuel, generating 144MJ/tick. This equates to 144MJ/tick for 2 000 ticks, or 288 000 MJ /bucket. It's unlikely that the biorecator will be able to match this, but the capital cost (of steel and the heatup time) is hefty, and in order to account for this, you need to use all of those 144 MJ/tick. I would say that, when you are producing 36 buckets per hour, it's the way to go (after a while to build up a buffer, of course).

2. As far as I can tell, per single item, you are probably better with forestry (also uses bits like wheat, which the bio-reactor doesn't), but, if you can set up a diverse input, the reactor is the way to go (also don't forget the trick about jalier's net, quid and rancher for massive amounts of reactable ink sacs!). My current setup uses vanilla oak saplings, melon seeds, pumpkin seeds, carrots, potatoes and ink sacs and gets me more than is being used by 2 36HP boilers.

ApSciLiara

Jul 29, 2019
Which generates power more efficiently off of biofuel, a mfr bio gen or hp boiler with industrial steam engines?
HP boiler hooked up to Atomic Science turbines. Those things have crazy output compared to steam engines!

Sent from boobs (because why not?)

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
Huh. Did IC2's geothermal generators (and GregTech's thermals) get a massive buff recently while I wasn't looking?

Recommendation: add typical numbers for nuclear reactors in addition to the "varies by design" line.
- internal cooling: up to ca. 500 EU/t, high output comes in tandem with low fuel efficiency
- external cooling: up to ca. 2000 EU/t, very expensive, full automation required
- condensator cooling: greater than 4000 EU/t, extremely expensive and unsafe, full automation required

P.S.: Your Redpower numbers are off. Output depends on network voltage, which is variable. You need to either specify which voltage you're talking about, or give the rating in Ampere. See my guide for a quick summary of peak outputs (under "numbers reference"). The thermopile has its output given for the best stable configuration, all others degrade within seconds to minutes. Also, the blulectric engine doesn't really go over 25 MJ/t.

UE is potentially affected by a similar issue of defining power based on voltage, though I've not looked into the exact mechanics.

I don't think the geothermals and thermals got buffed, I'm 100% positive that thermals always made double the EU as a IC2 geothermal. About nuclear reactors, the only reason I didn't add any numbers to it is because I have never made a successful reactor (boom, or just completely inefficient in comparison to my 104 UH solars). I'll work on the RP2 numbers today.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
I don't think the geothermals and thermals got buffed, I'm 100% positive that thermals always made double the EU as a IC2 geothermal.

The proper scientific method recommends empirically confirming even the things you think you know... and especially the things you think you know 100%. ;) Always question everything, then obtain concrete proof.

When I last tested lava EU generation shortly after mods released for 1.5.2, IC2 geothermals produced 20,000 EU per bucket, not 32,000... and incidentally, the IC2 wiki says the same. Even the super-obscure geothermal pump combo that I have not seen anyone use, ever, only generates 30,000 EU, minus the running cost of the pump. Similarly, when I last tested the GregTech thermal generator, it produced 30,000 EU per bucket, not 64,000. That's 50% more than the basic geothermal, and other wiki sources agree.

Remember that not all modpacks run at default configs. If you played a third party pack running custom configs, the values you memorized might be entirely correct in that setting, but they only apply to that specific modpack and not to general usage.

caramba2564

Jul 29, 2019
How about make the lines into the different types of engines and the columns into the different types of fuel?

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
How about make the lines into the different types of engines and the columns into the different types of fuel?

I'm unsure what you mean.
E: Okay, I think I understand. You mean like
Generator Type | Fuel Source : Power | Other Fuel Source | More Fuel | Mod Compatibility

I think this is what you are thinking. I could work on this tonight if you verify that this is what you mean. The problem is some things (like the Magic Energy Converter) have TONS of fuel sources, and some generators don't have any (solar, wind).