Opinions on Microsoft buying Mojang

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Diablo II's got microtransactions.

I don't remember any. I actually recouped all of the money I spent on buying the game through the RMT auction house. :p

Oh, diablo II? No. It's been a while but 99% sure no

sqitchy

Jul 29, 2019
Well, I was in early beta, so I think I can answer this.

As somebody who came directly from EverQuest, the game at launch was amazing. It had a little something for everybody, and didn't oversimplify or act too hand-holdy, but yet it didn't leave you hanging the way EQ did at times. It struck a good balance between the casual and the hardcore.

I canceled my account 3 days after we killed Naxx 1.0, not long before Wrath, but I've hopped back in from time to time with their free 7 day passes, scrolls of resurrection that have been sent to me, and so on.

The game today? Completely Unrecognizable, and not just in a physical sense (cataclysms kinda change things, yeah), I'm talking Everything. I mainly dislike that it has become a race to the bottom, "We must make *all* content accessible to *all* people." That and they've so badly mangled my hunter class that I have zero desire to ever play her again.

Is the game ruined for everybody? No, there are many that enjoy the game as it is now, but they can't deny that subscriptions are bleeding at an increasing pace. Notice all of the realm mergers? That's a shrinking playerbase.

I agree. When blizzard changed everything with cataclysm, I began to get turned off. Mists of Pandora made me leave for good, and I've yet to return. All my friends are playing the new expansion, and yesterday with all this stuff about MC I had my first thought of maybe playing again. God smite me now..

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
I agree. When blizzard changed everything with cataclysm, I began to get turned off. Mists of Pandora made me leave for good, and I've yet to return. All my friends are playing the new expansion, and yesterday with all this stuff about MC I had my first thought of maybe playing again. God smite me now..
piss on that, I'm going back to EvE if things turn south

Vasa

Jul 29, 2019
I use Windows 7 too i like it, i even love win 8/8.1 and my first os on my first pc was win 98se(back in 2001 or 2002,was little kid :) )
And in worst scenario im gonna retire from Minecraft completely and play Counter-Strike(Source or GO) or DotA2.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Give it another year or two. By then, we'll likely have the Next Big Thing, and Minecraft will largely be forgotten except by the truly dedicated of its current fanbase.

"We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later, we all push up flowers."
- Membrillo, Grim Fandango

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Totally OT, but pandas killed WoW. It like many games dumbed down the gameplay elements to make it more open to a wider audience.

As to MC, lets see how things go, but just do regular drills to ensure the lifeboats are working...

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
I'd be more concerned about Valve having it, actually. They're far more down with the microtransaction model, it seems. Although Workshop could have been nice.

Sent from my Toaster using Tapatalk

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Heck- If I was in Notch's shoes I would of dropped the billions and gave Minecraft to the steam community.

The look on Bill Gate's face alone would be worth it.
Even though Bill Gates doesn't even work for Microsoft anymore and is more or less retired. He's too busy helping ensure people in third world countries get the vaccines they need to stay at least somewhat healthy.

Reactions: Larmonade

DoomSquirter

Apr 19, 2014
Home Alone
They invested 2.5 Billion Dollars. They won't be changing anything over night. I've said it before. We will have to wait quite a while till they perform what they are planning to do now. Hopefully someone hacks into M$ servers and creates a new Halloween document to give us a taste of things to come. Or, perhaps a fellow minecraft player that works at M$ higher up releases it. Either way, it's the only way we'll ever know before it's too late, what will befell our beloved pastime.

It's been said above a couple times. The Merch and other things related to the IP are what it really wants, but the large Behemoth that is M$ is unrelenting. The blob replacement for the dagger of sacrifice? Yeah, that'll be forced to stay. The Hats with Pikachu, etc. ? That'll go. Avatars that can be made uniquely? Those'll go. They are a large monied corporation that is forced to protect themselves from litigation by doing all the things we hate because of those same deep pockets. Thus, they get proactive on anything that has the potential to hit their bottom line.

On the other hand, Minecraft is one of those very unique things that doesn't happen very often. It's still possible that M$ sees this and decides to stay out of that and let the IP riches just flow in, but who knows. With other companies taking advantage by suing M$ over various things will eventually dictate how this all works out over the next couple of years.

We will end up seeing quite a few scapegoats over the years to come. Scapegoats that will be used to push down a path they don't want to tread for fear of screwing up their beloved 2.5 billion dollar milk cow. Once you see those signs, it'll be inevitable that the worst will come to pass.
Edit: derp of M$ suing itself, hey it could happen. :)

Last edited:

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
Edit: derp of M$ suing itself, hey it could happen. :)
That sounds more like Apple or Samsung. I could definitely see that happening. "Samsung sues for infringement, forgets defendant is subsidiary"

dothrom

Jul 29, 2019
That sounds more like Apple or Samsung. I could definitely see that happening. "Samsung sues for infringement, forgets defendant is subsidiary"

That would be hilarious. Especially if they don't realize it before their legal department get's a copy of the subpoena the subsidy got sent to them by the subsidy. I'd want that meeting recorded.
"Um sorry sir, but I have bad news."
"WHAT!? What is it?"
"Well, apparently we're being sued."
"Who's suing us."
"Apparently we are sir."

Reactions: Flipz and trajing

Evelyne Lachance

Jul 29, 2019
Here's my take on the whole thing, now that it's official. First, good on Notch, I saw his post where he said he didn't want the fame and the big games. He's rich, he's happy now, and I'm perfectly fine with that. Good on him.

Now, Mojang has been promising official mod support for, what, a few years now? They never delivered. Updates to minecraft have been minor (bunnies and horses, really?), especially compared to everything that the modding community has done.

So picture this: Microsoft starts by doing a huge rewrite of Minecraft's Java source code, or does it from scratch in, say, dotNet (let's hope Java, to maintain OS compatibility, of course). Then, they create an API that modders can use, that could hopefully be just as powerful as the APIs the community came up for their own mods. They then layer some sort of space for these mods to live - say, a bit like the Steam Workshop hosts mods for Space Engineer. They have the power, much more than Mojang could ever have, to ensure compability between mods, reduce conflicts, etc.

Once those basics are done, what else can Microsoft do? Make the game look nicer by creating shaders that don't require a powerhouse? Start supporting mods on the Xbox version? Add engineering and programming into the game (such as what Computercraft does)?

I, for one, welcome our new Microsoft overloards. I know that great things can happen.

Reactions: Dorque

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
Here's my take on the whole thing, now that it's official. First, good on Notch, I saw his post where he said he didn't want the fame and the big games. He's rich, he's happy now, and I'm perfectly fine with that. Good on him.

Now, Mojang has been promising official mod support for, what, a few years now? They never delivered. Updates to minecraft have been minor (bunnies and horses, really?), especially compared to everything that the modding community has done.

So picture this: Microsoft starts by doing a huge rewrite of Minecraft's Java source code, or does it from scratch in, say, dotNet (let's hope Java, to maintain OS compatibility, of course). Then, they create an API that modders can use, that could hopefully be just as powerful as the APIs the community came up for their own mods. They then layer some sort of space for these mods to live - say, a bit like the Steam Workshop hosts mods for Space Engineer. They have the power, much more than Mojang could ever have, to ensure compability between mods, reduce conflicts, etc.

Once those basics are done, what else can Microsoft do? Make the game look nicer by creating shaders that don't require a powerhouse? Start supporting mods on the Xbox version? Add engineering and programming into the game (such as what Computercraft does)?

I, for one, welcome our new Microsoft overloards. I know that great things can happen.
It could go either way. Something horrible could happen, or something amazing.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
Even though Bill Gates doesn't even work for Microsoft anymore and is more or less retired. He's too busy helping ensure people in third world countries get the vaccines they need to stay at least somewhat healthy.

^This. The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation drops a minimum of 10 Million a year fighting disease in 3rd world countries, and everyone thinks he's the anti-christ. I doubt Apple drops that much in payroll in their overseas endeavors.

Evelyne Lachance

Jul 29, 2019
Here's a question, modders? What if Microsoft paid you part of the profits for every sale of your mod, individually, or in a mod pack? Would you go for it?

FyberOptic

Jul 29, 2019
^This. The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation drops a minimum of 10 Million a year fighting disease in 3rd world countries, and everyone thinks he's the anti-christ. I doubt Apple drops that much in payroll in their overseas endeavors.

You're correct, Steve Jobs was a notably selfish man throughout his life, and his biography made no attempt to hide that fact. Bill on the other hand never cared to make a fool of himself for internal Microsoft videos, promotional events, or random things like the ice bucket challenge, and always had his wallet open to charity. I've always had a lot of respect for him.

Here's a question, modders? What if Microsoft paid you part of the profits for every sale of your mod, individually, or in a mod pack? Would you go for it?

Would I like to make money to make Minecraft-related stuff? Sure. But I don't know if I feel right charging for mods, especially when I know a lot of young people use them who don't have cash laying around. Hell, I wouldn't even buy mods myself, probably. How do you know if they're any good unless you throw money at them? I've downloaded lots of mods that I never ended up using long-term. I just don't think I'd be interested in a paid mod store.

Curse pays in points, and says they eventually will even for mods in packs, and that's okay because no money is exchanging hands for the people actually using them. That's about the extent of what I would support.

Last edited:

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
You're correct, Steve Jobs was a notably selfish man throughout his life, and his biography made no attempt to hide that fact. Bill on the other hand never cared to make a fool of himself for internal Microsoft videos, promotional events, or random things like the ice bucket challenge, and always had his wallet open to charity. I've always had a lot of respect for him.

Would I like to make money to make Minecraft-related stuff? Sure. But I don't know if I feel right charging for mods, especially when I know a lot of young people use them who don't have cash laying around. Hell, I wouldn't even buy mods myself, probably. How do you know if they're any good unless you throw money at them? I've downloaded lots of mods that I never ended up using long-term. I just don't think I'd be interested in a paid mod store.

Curse pays in points, and says they eventually will even for mods in packs, and that's okay because no money is exchanging hands for the people actually using them. That's about the extent of what I would support.
I have a lot of respect for Bill Gates, just not Microsoft in general.

Reactions: xbony2 and Flipz