Opinions on Microsoft buying Mojang

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Michael280

Jul 29, 2019
For the moment I believe so. But if they introduce an official modding API (however powerful that might be), and if they're planning an app-store like "MC store" with skins, maps, mods, etc., they'll want all modding to go through that.

Along with an App store for mods, they could also extend the Minecraft Realms server model to bolster their cloud computing offerings. The Minecloud™ name hasn't been taken yet has it?

mcalpha

Jul 29, 2019
Along with an App store for mods, they could also extend the Minecraft Realms server model to bolster their cloud computing offerings. The Minecloud™ name hasn't been taken yet has it?
I think this is likely. MS-run servers might not be a bad thing for servers with lots of users, and it's one thing I wouldn't mind them taking money for (instead of the EULA-breaking "donations" of today).

As long as we can still run our private server for 5 people for free (well, whatever it costs to keep the machine running).

Kill-Joy

Jul 29, 2019
"Well I tried
One more night
One more night
well I'm laughin' out, cryin' out, laughin' out loud
I tried, well I tried, well I tried,
'Cause I tried, but I lied
I lied"
"I tried
I tried
I tried, well

And we'll love again, we'll laugh again
We'll cry again and we'll dance again
And it's better off this way
So much better off this way
I can't clean the blood off the sheets in my bed"

ratchet freak

Nov 11, 2012
I think this is likely. MS-run servers might not be a bad thing for servers with lots of users, and it's one thing I wouldn't mind them taking money for (instead of the EULA-breaking "donations" of today).

As long as we can still run our private server for 5 people for free (well, whatever it costs to keep the machine running).
the least cost is a static IP or dynamic domain name

buggirlexpres

Relatable Gamer
Trusted User
Retired Staff
Nov 24, 2012
she/her
twitter.com
"I tried
I tried
I tried, well

And we'll love again, we'll laugh again
We'll cry again and we'll dance again
And it's better off this way
So much better off this way
I can't clean the blood off the sheets in my bed"
"And never again, and never again
They gave us two shots to the back of the head
And we're all dead now"

ThomazM

Phoenix Team Founder
Jun 11, 2013
The Immortal's Cemetery
Well, if I were to express my opinions on this with a song, I'd probably go with:

"I fall down on my knees
In Praise of the..
Horrible things that take her away"
Dig Up Her Bones, by Misfits.

It's pretty fitting, in my opinion.

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
And meanwhile while all of this is going on I'm still trying to wrap my head around mekanism's ore processing...

it's actually not that hard until you get to the 5x setup.

Up to 4x it just looks a bit like this:
mekprocessing.jpg

Runebooke

Jul 29, 2019
It's official we are all microcrafters =(, my primary concern is the modding community. Because it is what makes Minecraft for me, and Microsoft will probably tighten the noose around Mod Devs.

Tat45

Jul 29, 2019
I'm hopeful. The phrase "more powerful development tools" could have been expanded somewhat for the benefit of the modding, but I'm interested to see where this goes.

Bottom line though, LexManos and Microsoft need to talk. =)

Reactions: GreatOrator

SlowboyFast

Jul 29, 2019

I think they would go with OneCraft (because of this recent "One" obsession, Xbox One, OneDrive).

And really, I think it's good that MSFT bought Mojang. Imagine what would happen if it was bought by EA :p

1M Industries

Jul 29, 2019
I think they would go with OneCraft (because of this recent "One" obsession, Xbox One, OneDrive).

And really, I think it's good that MSFT bought Mojang. Imagine what would happen if it was bought by EA :p
Oh god no. Would you like diamonds in your world? That will be $29.99 for a precious minerals DLC please.

Brian Cherrick

Jul 5, 2013
Funny you should mention the EULA situation... So does Notch in his "Farewell Address":

http://pastebin.com/n1qTeikM

I hope some of you are proud of yourselves.

On the other hand, as a tech geek myself, I can understand his feelings that he never wanted to be an entrepreneur or a CEO. He's done well enough that he can now retire and play with the interesting stuff for the rest of his life and shut the door on the rest of the world if he wishes.

GG, Notch!

Only thing I can say is that if he didn't want the "responsibility" then why create a game, let alone release it to the public.

mcalpha

Jul 29, 2019
Only thing I can say is that if he didn't want the "responsibility" then why create a game, let alone release it to the public.
Making an indie game and chatting with a few dozen fellow game devs and players about it is a bit different from having the responsibility of managing a billions-worth enterprise where the game is not even the most important bit (sales is).
And as you can clearly read from Notch's post, he's far more into the former.