Nuclear power and advanced tech. The good, the bad, and the mentally unstable (aka the USSR).

damagingbill

Jul 29, 2019
I might be wrong, but isn't uranium actualy one of the more tame radioactive materials? I mean the isotope for a reactor,
I believe in a video I watched it said if you ate some uranium you would die faster of metal poisoning than radiation,

Reactions: Not_Steve

dalekslayer96

Jul 29, 2019
I might be wrong, but isn't uranium actualy one of the more tame radioactive materials? I mean the isotope for a reactor,
I believe in a video I watched it said if you ate some uranium you would die faster of metal poisoning than radiation,
Uranium actually is one of the tamer ones. Things like Plutonium, Thorium, and Protactinium are all way deadlier.

ThatOneSlowking

Jul 29, 2019
I can relate to the thing about radiation "sickness". Look at Atomic Science and IC2. Both of them have a Radiation potion effect which damages you for around 10 minutes. I doubt radiation actually can kill you. Sure, you might have a shortened life span and your kids might have genetic mutations/defects, but it can't directly kill you by just touching a Uranium Fuel Cell, can it?
Prolonged exposure can. Little exposure still has a chance to harm you.

1M Industries

Jul 29, 2019
*Snip* Even Chernoble wasn't that bad. *Snip*
So untrue. Chernobyl was the worst nuclear disaster ever. It is true that the technology of nuclear power plants is sound, and I agree with that...as long as it is built correctly. The plant had a fire every week. Does this inspire confidence? No. The accident has left a huge swath of land unusable for centuries. It was first noticed when radiation alarms in Switzerland were set off by the plume of radiation. One of the forests near the plant glows red at night due to radiation.
I am not agreeing with Greenpeace, some of the stuff they do is a little...crazy. But even the waste that the reactors produce will be dangerous for thousands of years. Also, where are we going to put it? "Far away from people"? Really? Humanity appears to have an incredible rate of expansion and also a horrible memory. How can we tell if where we think is "Far away" today is merely a brief hop tomorrow?

Last edited:

1M Industries

Jul 29, 2019
When I was a boy during the Reagan years, my elementary school teachers told me that I wouldnt live to see 20, and we did nuclear drills every week where they would have us hide under our desks even though they made it clear nothing could possibly save us. Im 35 now.
Sigh. This is why I say that nuclear power should not be used or at the least, it should be VERY heavily restricted. What prevents someone from getting enough plutonium to blow up a major city half a world away? A few flimsy agencies that can at the most send an unhappy letter to the country in question.