new to ftb infinity - basics?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
J

jaruanna

I'm new to this community and I'm currently playing on a server running the infinitypack on normal settings. the thing is idk where to start or what I should attack first. idk much about the mods in the pack except for industrialcraft as I used to play tekkit. anyways, what are your thoughts.

Middleclaw

Apr 12, 2014
My advice is to watch some " Lets Plays " on youtube and see how they do things. I would recommend youtubers such as Direwolf20, PurpleMentat and Grok DuckFarmer amount others. A lot of them will play out a lets play as a tutorial series when playing SSP but their SMP lets plays do vary a bit. Another place you may look at is right in your inventory window. There should be a book (left pane) there labeled guide which would give suggestions.

Nedrith

Jul 29, 2019
Direwolf's single player series are pretty good. Personally I prefer just picking a mod and finding information about it and what I want from it and then playing with that mod. If you like magic, Botania is probably the easiest to get started in and the lexica botania has some pretty good information on how it works. Thaumcraft has a really annoying start but it is probably the most diverse and complicated of the magic mods.

For tech I would honestly start with EnderIO or Thermal Expansion. Both have decent resource processing methods to double ores and both are relatively easy. EnderIO has a lot more to do but Thermal Expansion is the easiest to get started in and has decent power generation methods.

Zarkov

Mar 22, 2013
Right in the beginning, you probably want to build a grindstone from AE2. It's cheap, offers (nearly) ore doubling, and is operated manually (no power or infrastructure needed). You basically only have to find three regular certus quartz.

knn03

Jul 29, 2019
My is my normal routine:

1. Find a nice open place to settle down.
2. Dig a mine. Look for iron, redstone, and a couple pieces of gold.
3. Build a small Tinker's Construct smeltery and make some tools. Alumite or bronze is not bad to start with.
4. Set up ore doubling with Thermal Expansion machines and make several survivalist generators, it's a good idea to make a basic energy cell as a buffer.
5. Jetpack.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
My best advice for someone new to the mod scene is to play like you would in Vanilla. A good Vanilla base can help immensely when breaking into mods. Then, find tasks you no longer wish to do yourself (personally, a hate chopping wood) and enter into a mod that has an answer for it. After that, you can see what other options the mods you've chosen has to offer. Once you've fleshed out one mod, see if the power system you've chosen can power other mods, and then see what they have to offer as well.

Basically, start small then automate and autocraft your problems away.

Reactions: Azzanine

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
I tend to set up TiCo first. Neat repairable tools and you have ore doubling with the smeltery. Also 1.7.10 versions have handy user guides.

Other then that you start much like Vanilla.
Build a safety shack, mine some coal, cobble and whatever iron, copper or tin ore you find. Make an iron pick (with TiCo or regular pick) if you can get gold and redstone and you should be able to start mostly any mod.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk