New laptop?

pc_assassin

Jul 29, 2019
Reactions: Qazplm601

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
Well, the hard drive is a bit slow, and it's an AMD processor. It should be fine, but you might have problems in 1.8.

pc_assassin

Jul 29, 2019
Well, the hard drive is a bit slow, and it's an AMD processor. It should be fine, but you might have problems in 1.8.

I have a solid state for a laptop that might fit in it.. Atleast it fits in the old one

What about fastcraft/optifine? Or a suggestion on a better one

Sent From Something That You Won't Care About Using Tapatalk 2

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
I almost never recommend Optifine for obvious reasons. Fast craft will definitely help performance. As for better laptops, let me do some quick searching.

Reactions: pc_assassin

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Why would there be problems in 1.8? AMD CPUs struggle with singlecore speed compared to Intel, and 1.8 greatly improves threading performance-hungry things such as chunkloading and parallel dimensions. If anything, a weak CPU with multiple cores should see a noticable performance gain in 1.8...

Harddisk speed is also largely irrelevant for MC performance, even on servers.

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
Why would there be problems in 1.8? AMD CPUs struggle with singlecore speed compared to Intel, and 1.8 greatly improves threading performance-hungry things such as chunkloading and parallel dimensions. If anything, a weak CPU with multiple cores should see a noticable performance gain in 1.8...
There is an AMD specific bug in 1.8 that has yet to be resolved .

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
Freaky really that I was shopping for a friend yesterday looking for the same thing.
I will link to British sites, but I am sure you can find them in American stores or on Amazon. I am just gonna link these because I saw these in store, tested them out, and they all seemed pretty smooth :)
All the ones on the shops' site are windows 8, but if you don't want that, then I am sure you can get ones with Win7:
http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/lapto...6-touchscreen-laptop-silver-21414700-pdt.html
http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/lapto...50d-b-11x-15-6-laptop-black-10011198-pdt.html
http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/lapto...re-e5-571-15-6-laptop-black-10011066-pdt.html
http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/lapto...0d-b-14p-15-6-laptop-purple-10011290-pdt.html
http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/lapto...0sa-15-6-touchscreen-laptop-21729450-pdt.html
http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/lapto...ire-e5-571-15-6-laptop-blue-10011159-pdt.html

Then there were a few in second hand gadget/game shops which were actually really good. I saw a tower that would be suitable for "high end" games (on low settings) for around £300, which came with a monitor. So you'd just need to buy a keyboard and mouse, and if you didn't care about them being the best, you'd be paying what you'd pay for some of those laptops.
But if you don't mind something used, you can pick up some laptops that are better than those I linked, for around the same sorta price (a little under usually), in any store that will resell old computers/laptops/games. I dunno if you have this in America but a store called CEX sells great PCs/Laptops really cheap. And if you don't have anything like that, but want something on their site I would assume you can get it exported to the states for a little extra :p

pc_assassin

Jul 29, 2019
I don't mind used the t61 in the OP I bought used and we have microCenters around here that are computer stores that sell anything from mouse pads to Ipads to refurbished laptops

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
Oh right, well I thought you were looking for other suggestions too :p So I thought I'd send you the links I sent to my friend (who basically said "here's my budget, buy me a laptop that can run Minecraft and Photoshop").

And the link you sent doesn't really give much detail on the laptop you are looking at, so I couldn't really gauge whether what I was linking was better or worse :p

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019

pc_assassin

Jul 29, 2019
I have an Acer Netbook and it works extremely well. That laptop should serve you fine.

Hmm my uncle (an IT) told me to steer clear of acers something about everything in acers run of the same RAM... There is no RAM dedicated to a specific piece of hardware... Much like the one I have now.

Now another question would it be able to play CS:GO with low graphics? Also would it FTB well?

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm my uncle (an IT) told me to steer clear of acers something about everything in acers run of the same RAM... There is no RAM dedicated to a specific piece of hardware... Much like the one I have now.

Now another question would it be able to play CS:GO with low graphics? Also would it FTB well?

FTB it should be able to do. CS:GO...you may wanna go for the Z50 I linked to. It's an extra 100 dollars( sorry. :( ) But has the Lenovo name, so you can trust it to last a while.

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
FTB it should be able to do. CS:GO...you may wanna go for the Z50 I linked to. It's an extra 100 dollars( sorry. :( ) But has the Lenovo name, so you can trust it to last a while.
I have never heard of Lenovo... they probably didn't make it big over here, but would you care to explain why they are so good?

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
I have never heard of Lenovo... they probably didn't make it big over here, but would you care to explain why they are so good?
Ignoring the fact that OP's computer is one. :p
My private school gave everybody Lenovo think pads for their school work and they performed like a dream. Very fast, reliable, and tough(I can't remember how many times I dropped it.)

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
Ignoring the fact that OP's computer is one. :p
My private school gave everybody Lenovo think pads for their school work and they performed like a dream. Very fast, reliable, and tough(I can't remember how many times I dropped it.)
No, not ignoring that fact at all. Just wondering why you praised them as you did, and now I see why. Last time I had a laptop a drop or two of water got onto the keyboard, and after that it would just hold down "." constantly. So playing games was fun. That's sorta why I moved to desktops. I have 2 keyboards (technically 3) so if something like that happens, then it's a quick $15 fix (price of the s****y keyboards I have) instead of the *googles conversion* $70+ fix for a laptop's keyboard...

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
No, not ignoring that fact at all. Just wondering why you praised them as you did, and now I see why. Last time I had a laptop a drop or two of water got onto the keyboard, and after that it would just hold down "." constantly. So playing games was fun. That's sorta why I moved to desktops. I have 2 keyboards (technically 3) so if something like that happens, then it's a quick $15 fix (price of the s****y keyboards I have) instead of the *googles conversion* $70+ fix for a laptop's keyboard...
Oh I agree. Desktops are MILES better than laptops for several reasons. I'm in the process of building one right now on pcpartpicker. Not to mention you save 60% by building it yourself instead of buying it pre-made.[DOUBLEPOST=1411670820][/DOUBLEPOST]Oh hey, I'm a Forum Addict now.

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
Oh I agree. Desktops are MILES better than laptops for several reasons. I'm in the process of building one right now on pcpartpicker. Not to mention you save 60% by building it yourself instead of buying it pre-made.[DOUBLEPOST=1411670820][/DOUBLEPOST]Oh hey, I'm a Forum Addict now.
Wouldya look at that! Congrats! :)
But I didn't build mine myself. I coulda saved about £100 on mine, but I brought a custom built PC, and it is still going well :)

Reactions: Wagon153