need help with sliding doors (frames)

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

ahwtx

Jul 29, 2019
i was watching a random youtube vid the other day and i saw a guy who had the coolest door i've ever come across. he had two door panels actually. and by pressing a button, both panels would recede by one block, and then they would slide apart.

i simply must have this! i'm sure it was done with frames and timers and wireless redstone and all that, but after playing around, i just can't get it to work. i'm wondering if anyone knows of any good tutorials on this. my googling must be smothered in weak sauce today, because i can't find anything quite like what i'm looking for and the tutorials i have found just aren't up to snuff.

Mikey_R

Jul 29, 2019
Assuming I'm thinking of the same door, it can be done with vanilla pistons and is nicknamed the Jeb door, but without actually seeing it, it can be hard to say.

ahwtx

Jul 29, 2019
ooo, that isn't quite what i was looking for, but it's still very cool! might try out a jeb door instead since the pistons are a wee bit faster than frames anyway.

thanks!

if anyone can find a video tutorial for the kind of frames door i'm describing, though, please do post it. i don't think piston powered doors are going to scale very well beyond 3x3 or so, and this is going to be the main door to my base, so i want it to loom large. :p

Neirin

Jul 29, 2019
Frame doors are pretty straight forward - just need a pair of motors per door (one to open, one to close) and a way to stop them from moving too far should something go wrong. The trickiest part of the setup you're describing would be adding in 2 more pairs of motors to make the doors recede before opening. You'd have to stick them in the wall around the doorway to avoid having them stick out like sore thumbs, which probably means you're in for some rather cramped circuitry.

If I were to do it, I'd actually just wire up the motors using wireless receivers and have the mechanism that controls the redstone pulses elsewhere so I could have more room to work with. Either that or something with computers and jacketed cable, I suppose.

ahwtx

Jul 29, 2019
it's not so much the frames part that vexes me. it's the redstone and wiring that i'm terrible at figuring out. i want it setup such that i can have two buttons (one outside, one inside) to open/close the door. i'm sure i'll need timers, toggles and repeaters, but i just can't figure out what configuration they need to be in.

whizzball1

Jul 29, 2019
It'll take me a while, but I think I could figure it out. Then I might try to explain it, even though it might be horribly complicated.

budge

Jul 29, 2019
Any good with lua? I made a silo door that moves on two axes and slides under the ground, controlled by a computer. It was much more compact than designing a circuit, and easier to modify or adjust on the fly, too.

ahwtx

Jul 29, 2019
@whizball - any and all help is appreciated!

@budge - i'm even worse with lua than i am with redstone, hah. i need to poke around the computercraft forums and get into it, though. i'm sure it's immensely useful once you get the hang of it.

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
Timers and Counters in combination are handy for pulsing something a given number of times. Say you want to have 5 pulses- configure the timer to max at 5, increment by 1, and decrement by 5. Now wire the positive output of the counter to the back of the timer, and any other side of the timer to the positive input of the counter. Simply pulse the negative input of the counter to reset it, and the timer should output 5 pulses before being shut off.
You can also use a pulse former connected to the positive output of the counter to trigger your next set of circuits.

A couple more Redpower Logic/Frames tips:
State cells are handy for delaying events by a certain amount of time.
Frame motors take exactly 0.8 seconds to move a block. Thus, if you make your pulses 0.8 seconds apart, the frames won't appear to stop between movements.
Thermopiles are handy for powering frames- they don't generate a lot of power, but frame motors don't use much BT either.

steelblueskies

Jul 29, 2019
20130325112133.png
20130325112230.png
20130325112143.png
20130325112107.png

20130325110627.png

argh, cannot get spoiler hiding of images to work to save my life atm.

anywho couple timers set to .8 seconds with that toggle latch fed by a wireless receiver and the counter set up properly, duplicated per side arranges one button push causes both arms/doorsides to move their full swing in/out and stop until next buttonpress. the example here is a ground plane bay door. the logic is duplicated for each door side, one moving 5 blocks in/out, the other moving only 3. used a layer of reinforced stone over the top and bottom of the frames for blastproofing, black is warded stone. 2 motors for each door. just big enough to construct rainwarriors compact 6 direction frame motor setup below and open the doors to fly it out.

if you are going for simple sliding door than that's more than enough.
if you want it to do the full jeb door and pull back then slide to the side the tricky bit is going to be setting up the logic for the pull back/push forward on top of the rest.

frankly at that point i'd probably move to cc computer control with bundled cable instead of individual rp logic units for comparative performance reasons.

if you want some examples built in a map for you to fiddle with i can imagine putting them together and uploading one for you.

lastly if this is nothing like what you had in mind please disregard.

Peppe

Jul 29, 2019
here is how you might do a jeb door of any size using frames:
Closed
r4CE6cG.png

Open
hkTtQy4.png

Logic:
arSgofF.png

Motors:
6Kzjc7a.png

All smooth stone in frames are covers.
Glass over motors are also covers in the frame (did glass, so you could see motor direction)

Logic walk-through:
on flipping the latch in either direction the counter is pulsed through the pulse formers and reset to 0.
the state of the latch (white side vs black side) controls which motor will run (blue 'and' gate vs orange 'and' gate).
When the counter is reset the timer is allowed to run (.8 seconds seemed the fastest the frames could move -- adjust for lag as needed).
The timer pulses both 'and' gates, but only the active one outputs and the orange or blue motor's are pulsed.

When the counter reaches it's max it pulses the magenta color, which tries to push the door forward (flush to the outer wall). Technically it tries to do this when the door fully retracts, but the outer wall blocks the movement, so there isn't really a need to get fancy and account for this.

The counter is set to 3, since on this door it moves back 1 and over 2. The chiseled stone blocks are there for when you don't know the movement count or set the counter wrong -- It will stop it from over opening. Thinking about it now... taking off the last frame on the end will also keep it from over closing, though the other side being there should stop it if you have the count wrong.

Edit:
8x8 Version -- only change is the frames obviously and the counter is set to 5 instead of 3.
http://imgur.com/a/90n7W

ahwtx

Jul 29, 2019
this community is AWESOME! thank you so much for the very detailed walkthrough, peppe!

and steelblueskies, just from the look of your screenshots, i'm betting your base is sick. great job! even though peppe pretty much has it spelled out for me, i still wouldn't mind taking you up on your offer of a world download for me to fiddle with. i'm very much a hands-on learner.

Peppe

Jul 29, 2019
Looked closer at steelblueskies' logic and modified it to work with the extra forward/back motor. His logic section is better ;)

It is simpler than my design... Timer counts up in one mode and then in the other mode the other timer counts down.

v1AcArz.png

steelblueskies

Jul 29, 2019
mind that layout doesn't protect against rapid signal spam, irony was looking at examples of how to make a version that is safe for mobs in the opening and also multiple (mis)clicks of the button to open/close and found a redpower wiki had the same design plus the upgrade o_O (http://integratedredstone.wikispaces.com/Circuits) not sure if i should be proud or dissapointed.

the test world used for the images seemed to be intact more or less when used with a clean ftb ultimate download.
might be a bit harsh on performance but for hopping in in creative and looking at that bay door it should hopefully be fine.
fairly certain that the bay door framship+accessories are probably the only fully functional bits witht he default config.

will see about whipping together a flat testworld with a few designs if peppe doesn't chance to upload that construction, in the next day or so. meanwhile here's that other map(third start over on the layout for an adventure challenge map about 20% progress on general layout and fill in)
http://www.mediafire.com/?ap874jkwd0md5bl