Mystcraft mining world and GeoStrata rocks

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
It is that time, Monster is (as good as) out and stable and I have started to poke holes in overworld of my favourite seed already. So I think it is about time to set up a mystcraft mining age before I roll out the heavy machineries(Turtles, Quarries etc).

In the past I always used a flat desert world(easy to set up quarries, plenty of sand and sandstone for building/glass). But with GeoStrata comes another concern. I read that the rock types only spawn depending on the biome types. And from earlier testing a lot of the rocks were missing when mining in a desert age.

So this brings me to the actual topic: Anyone have any idea on which combination of biomes would be ideal for a Mystcraft mining age to also include most(all if possible) the GeoStrata rock types?

Most ideal for Quarries etc. would be biomes without water and little to no trees. But without knowing which rocks spawn where, I would make the guess that it might be difficult to make a biome selection completely without water/trees. Maybe @Reika would be willing to give some hints(read spoilers :p) to the rocks spawn mechanics?

Ammaneus

Jul 29, 2019
I had a look at where rocks spawn online, couldn't find much, but i did find a workaround.

Maricultures Autodictionary can convert any type of rock to any other, which is super handy, so you don't actually need more than 1 biome, its a little bit 'cheaty-feeling' though.

p.s the Autodictionary autoejects to pretty much any adjacent inventor, be careful what you place it next to.

Don't tell anyone, but it can convert most types of Forestry/Extra Trees wood too, the FTB team may want to look at adding those to its blacklist, also dont put bees, saplings or anthing that can be converted into something with 'genes' or you'll crash any client that tried to interact with it until the Autodictionary is broken and replaced

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
I had a look at where rocks spawn online, couldn't find much, but i did find a workaround.

Maricultures Autodictionary can convert any type of rock to any other, which is super handy, so you don't actually need more than 1 biome, its a little bit 'cheaty-feeling' though.

p.s the Autodictionary autoejects to pretty much any adjacent inventor, be careful what you place it next to.

Don't tell anyone, but it can convert most types of Forestry/Extra Trees wood too, the FTB team may want to look at adding those to its blacklist, also dont put bees, saplings or anthing that can be converted into something with 'genes' or you'll crash any client that tried to interact with it until the Autodictionary is broken and replaced
Hmm feel a bit stupid now. I already realised this a few weeks ago, but my mind was totally blank of it today :p. It does feel a bit cheaty imo, but definitely a possibility if I cant figure out a decent biome setup. Would still prefer if it could be done with 2-4 vanilla biomes for example that were relative free of obstacles(trees and such).

And what you mentioned in the spoiler, yeah it most definitely should be added to the blacklist. Takes most of the purpose out of those mods.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Hmm feel a bit stupid now. I already realised this a few weeks ago, but my mind was totally blank of it today :p. It does feel a bit cheaty imo, but definitely a possibility if I cant figure out a decent biome setup. Would still prefer if it could be done with 2-4 vanilla biomes for example that were relative free of obstacles(trees and such).

And what you mentioned in the spoiler, yeah it most definitely should be added to the blacklist. Takes most of the purpose out of those mods.

The only biome-dependent rocks are shale and slate, which do not spawn in desert-type biomes (no water).

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
The only biome-dependent rocks are shale and slate, which do not spawn in desert-type biomes (no water).
Ahh excellent! On to experiment with spawning water type biomes with... no.. water... Hmmm... :p

Reactions: kaovalin

kaovalin

Jul 29, 2019
Ahh excellent! On to experiment with spawning water type biomes with... no.. water... Hmmm... :p

I wonder if spawning desert with river in a flatworld would elevate the terrain above where the water in the river would get to generate. Maybe you could try that?

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
River biome sans water? It can happen quite easily.
wlJbYtW.png

Reactions: Padfoote and rhn

kaovalin

Jul 29, 2019
Flat lands will average the height of all the biomes, so if you use something relatively tall it will raise up the rest of the biomes that would otherwise be at or below sea level.

Reactions: rhn

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Ok, after a lot of experimentation and a fair bit of frustration about the increased randomness factor in newer mystcraft, I came up with a world that suits my needs pretty well. And I thought I would share it with the rest of you if someone else wanted to try it out:
slKRTNh.png

Code:
Desert Biome, Desert Biome, Ocean Biome, Medium Biomes.
Stone block, Water block, Flat world.
Normal lighting.
No weather.
Zenith Phase, Zero Length, Normal Sun.
Normal Sun.
Dark Moon.
Dark Moon.
Dark Sun.
Dark Sun.
Normal stars.
Star Fissure.
Natural Cloud Color.
Natural Fog Color.
Natural Foliage Color.
Natural Grass Color.
Natural Sky Color.
Natural Water Color.
Stone Block, Spheres.
Stone Block, Spheres.
Stone Block, Spheres.
Stone Block, Spheres.
Stone Block, Spheres.
Stone Block, Spheres.
Stone Block, Spheres.
Stone Block, Spheres.
Stone Block, Spheres.
Clear Modifiers.

2 Parts Desert, 1 Part dried up Ocean.

You might ask, why all the damn annoying Stone block spheres everywhere? Thing is I want my world to be completely void of caves and ravines. And the more times you list another Terrain altering page, the less likely it will get that it will randomly add another Terrain altering page(like Caves, Floating Islands, Ravines, Skylands or Tendrils). And the spheres are IMO the lesser annoyance of those for Quarries etc.
You could use another material than stone for the spheres, but I didn't want it to feel cheaty. But in hindsight I might have chosen dirt instead just to avoid the falling gravel.

Bruigaar

Jul 29, 2019
If your pack has Extra Utilities in it the new Ender Quarry kind of kills the need for mining ages as it does not effect the actual terrain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMarvinTPA

Jul 29, 2019
I've had lots of luck learning stuff by just opening the MYST files in a NBT editor. I've hacked myself a perfect overworld replication age file.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
If your pack has Extra Utilities in it the new Ender Quarry kind of kills the need for mining ages as it does not effect the actual terrain.

That is true, but is it SO annoying to set up with all the fences. And I prefer quarrying in deserts for sand and sandstone, and the ender quarry would ruin the deserts anyway by replacing the sand with dirt.

Bruigaar

Jul 29, 2019
It does not replace the top block so if would still look like a desert. As for getting sand pop your cobble into a macerator. Also In another thread I learned you can place the fences with a drawbridge if you have available.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
It does not replace the top block so if would still look like a desert. As for getting sand pop your cobble into a macerator. Also In another thread I learned you can place the fences with a drawbridge if you have available.

Really? It replaced the sand in the desert test world that I tried it out in with grass. But could have been because it was a Flat world and it wasnt an actual desert biome.

And yeah there are ways of producing sand, but it gets tiresome to wait/annoying intermediary crafting step if you use it in large quantities(like I usually do).