Multiple ingot types very irritating.

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Recon

Jul 29, 2019
I'm finding the occurrence of multiple types of: Copper, Tin, Silver and Lead to be fairly annoying because they look different and they don't stack. The ore dictionary makes them interchangeable in a recipe but you get different ingots depending on whether you use IC2 or Factorization machines to make them. Is there any way to resolve this and have them be just one type?

I use the Sphax textures. Check out how some of the different metal types look next to each other.
Strangely, the one on the upper right is the result from using IC2 to macerate then cook silver.
Also, when Redpower 2 is added to FTB, we'll have yet another type of silver. Its fairly ridiculous. Can this be fixed?

metal10.jpg

NosajDraw

Jul 29, 2019
You get a third ingot type if you use Thermal Exchange.

It's getting annoying as sorting machines are getting overly complicated just to handle all the ingot types you come across.

Recon

Jul 29, 2019
I don't mind if there's a lot of ingot types to be honest - if a new mod wants to have its own proprietary ingot, then whatever.. But they should at least give it a new name. Having 3 or 4 types of silver is just stupid. Call it something else. Call it Lithium, or Potassium, or Gallium or Bismuth or whatever, but man.. One type of copper, tin, lead and silver please...

So I'm wondering, is there a way to fix this within the game? A way to merge the silvers together into one silver, etc. That would be nice.

NosajDraw

Jul 29, 2019
The reason they are all called silver is because they are all meant to be silver, and mean to be shareable across mods. And there must be a way to fix it, I think, I guess, Tekkit/Technic doesn't suffer from the same issue, all its bars are IC2 bars.

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
The word from a mod pack developer who I talked to in IRC is that a lot of this duplicate ore/ingot stuff will be fixed for release.

MadDogTen

Jul 29, 2019
I personally went through and disabled all but 1 of each Ore (Switching it to use IC2 Copper and Tin at the same time). So if it is as annoying to you as it was to me, Just do that, Its fairly simple.

Recon

Jul 29, 2019
Can you list instructions on how this is done?
Also, doesn't it matter which machine you use to process the ore? For example, the factorization mod makes "pulverized" ore, which then turns to _x_ ingot. Where the IC2 macerator turns it into ore dust and then you cook it to become _x_ metal without the word "ingot" in the name. So with your fix, does this inconsistency go away too?

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Nope, machines will still produce "their" ingot type, regardless of what kind of ore was processed.

zemerick

Jul 29, 2019
I would have to check that this works in all cases, but you should be able to drop any offending ingots into a macerator then cook the dust in a furnace to end up with all the same.

I just make it a point to pick one processing method so they all end up the same. If I somehow manage to end up with another type I use it in a recipe first to get rid of it.

Recon

Jul 29, 2019
I suppose with the add-on mod, and Logistics Pipes, one could fully automate the "correction" of every bad ingot type.

zemerick

Jul 29, 2019
I just tested my maceration and resmelting theory and it mostly works, so no need to add extra mods, this could be easily automated with the current mods.

Copper, Tin and Silver can all be handled with a macerator, but the lead requires a pulverizer. Easy enough to adjust as necessary though.

PS: OP, be glad with Sphax that they look different. That's a pro not a con. It was annoying when I was using no texture pack and a lot of them looked the same but would refuse to stack:(

I think some of them still do though. IIRC 2 of the coppers looks the same. Better than most if not all though.

Bibble

Jul 29, 2019
There are easier ways, you know. if you make blocks/nuggets and build them up/break them down you get the same type out (can't remember which). You could simple set up a factorisation stamping whatsit to convert all of them.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
it'd be nice if this could be configured on forge's side, that you could go into an ingame menu, and select which ores you want.
I know this can be done through configs, but come on, how many mods are there now that uses all kinds of ingots? it'd take ages to configure it all.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
That's one of the major problems with using multiple machine mods all together, they overlap with what they can do, and so also conflict with each other.

Once RedPower is out and in FTB, I guess they will just review the ores added by each mod, and then only generate one of each type of ore, ensuring the selected ore will work with all machines.

Factorization will be the main problem, as it requires a ton of silver, while the other mods that use silver expect it to be rare. Factorization is incompatable in that regard with the other mods.

Watchful11

Forum Addict
Team Member
Third Party Pack Admin
Nov 6, 2012
I can confirm that we are working on making there be less duplicate ores.

Reactions: Lawbroken

Recon

Jul 29, 2019
That's excellent news. Here's hoping its not too difficult to figure out.
And yeah I agree that Factorization is probably the biggest culprit due to the amount of silver it requires. In fact, someone suggested to the mod author that the recipe for the reflector be reversed, with silver being in the center rather than all around the edges, since mirrors which use silver in real life after all, only have an extremely thin film of silver on the inside. The author said "Nah" and that was that. Very odd. But if this mod were to have the recipes changed then it would make Factorization compatible with other mods. We already know that one mod can change the recipes for another mod (Gregtech) so maybe somebody could write a mod which specifically makes Factorization balanced for FTB. Then, we could have RP's silver be the only silver generated and it would be just fine.

zemerick

Jul 29, 2019
If the recipe is changed, I would think Aluminum could be a good material to use, though perhaps 4 aluminum per mirror rather than the full 8. Or perhaps less by 1 aluminum crafting into 8 aluminum film or something.

This would be more accurate as aluminum is the best material for a mirror, and can applied in layers of only a single atom thick. Aluminum also has little to no use at all currently. It might need to be made a bit easier to make though or even have its own ore generated.

Really though, I think simply turning of factorization silver would be fine. The other 2 mods provide enough silver even for factorization, especially if you pulverize your lead.