Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Material Energy^4

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

tigertomd

Jul 29, 2019
Hi all,

Recently I have been trying to find a good modpack to play. I have browsed the launcher (3rd party & Main) and found packs that either don't interest me or are really good, but I just finish them too quickly. I then started to browse the 3rd party section of the forum, and was blown away by the choices. The problem was, some packs advertised themselves really well, then turned out to be terrible. Without any guide to compare them to or reviews to browse, I kept getting frustrated by packs that looked to be put together in 5 minutes.

The purpose of this thread is to provide detailed, relevant and consistent reviews about the many modpacks available. At the present time, this thread will only be posting reviews on packs available on the FTB launcher. Packs that are on other launchers won't be reviewed presently, but may be in the future. Modpacks that require manual setup will under NO CIRCUMSTANCES be reviewed.

If you want your pack to be reviewed, reply to this thread with a link to the forum page.

The following conditions must be met before a modpack is reviewed:
  • Must be available for download on the FTB launcher under either main or 3rd party. It does not need to be listed (ie. it can have a download code)
  • Must be for Minecraft versions 1.7.10 or above
  • Must be in at least beta (see here for explanation)
  • Must be playable in single player (This may change in the future)
Each pack will get a rating out of 14, based on the following criteria (If some categories don't apply to a pack, then the scoring will be adjusted. Adjusted scores will be marked with an asterisk). A comment on the pack is also included:

Experience: Uniqueness of theme. Overall enjoyability. Experience compliments pack genre/themes. Overall story, dialogue, narration, background and/or character motivation if applicable. Engaging. Consistent.
0 = Below Average. Unenjoyable in every way
1 = Average. Enjoyable, but not unique.
2 = Above Average. Enjoyable and unique.
3 = Exceptional! Something I’ve never seen before!

Challenge: Mental and physical challenge. Risk density and variety (Player vs. Environment, Player vs. Mobs, Traps, Generated Structures). Secondary goals (e.g. Hidden items, scoring challenges, Quests). Resource management. Combat.
0 = Below Average. Too hard. Unable to reach the pack end under intended gamemode and rules.
1 = Average. Easy, focused on a single mechanic or observation of the overall experience with minimal participation.
2 = Above Average. Challenging, as compared to pack genre/theme. Mental or physically challenging mechanics.
3 = Exceptional challenge both mentally and physically!

Pacing: Pacing of tiers, progression through the pack. End game isn't rushed, early game doesn't linger. Balanced combination of mining/resource farming and combat/system building.
0 = Below Average. Confusing. Not enough, or too much down time between major progression points.
1 = Average. Pace is consistent. Major progression points occur as needed. Gear is obtained in time to meet next challenge.
2 = Above Average. Well-timed events. Incremental gear and challenge. Many progression paths occurring at once to keep variety.
3 = Exceptional! Never a dull moment!

Mechanics: Gameplay Mechanics, Use of mod mechanics, Use of Map and HQM Mechanics (If Applicable). Recipe changes .
0 = Below Average. Vanilla Mechanics only (Crafting and smelting)
1 = Average. Use of basic mod mechanics. Basic or Unfinished Map/Quests
2 = Above Average. Introduces a new or unique mechanic, or uses an existing mechanic in a new or unique way. Developed Map/Quests.
3 = Exceptional! Really well thought out use of new/unique and existing mechanics. Well thought out quest line/map.

Bonus Point: Personal Favorite: This map has something unique that really stood out to me, or created a very personal connection for me regardless of other ratings categories.
0 = No bonus point.
:) = 1 Bonus point.

Bonus Point: Perfection: This map represents perfection. Perfect score in all 6 of the main categories, personal favorite, AND has that extra special magic - I wouldn't change a thing.
0 = No bonus point.
:D= 1 Bonus point.

I consider packs rated 8 through 14 to be above average.
Packs rated 5 to 7 are good, but basic, and could use a bit more work.
Packs 4 or lower are unplayable, in my opinion.

Note: Scoring system is based on that used by rsmalec to review maps. Check them out here.

Here I will list the packs I am currently reviewing, in the order that they will be released (Yeah Right).
  1. Clouds of Darkness
  2. Running Red 2
  3. Material Energy^4
  4. Direwolf20

These are my 5 most recent reviews
By Gideonseymour CODE: Listed on FTB Launcher SCORE: 12/14 (3+3+2+3+1+0) :) THREAD: http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/thr...ampire-money-v1-2-0-hardcore-magic-rpg.51957/
A very well thought out and deep modpack. The gameplay uses very neat and unique mechanics (although reward bag randomness means that it can take awhile to get resources) and the story line really makes you think about society in general. I believe it is a great pack and everyone should download and play it now, if not for the gameplay, then at least for the experience.
By parcel31u CODE: Listed SCORE: 11.5/14 (2.5+3+2+3+1+0):)THREAD: http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/1-7-10-material-energy-4.57967/
The sequel to the winner of Jampacked is here, and more advanced than the first. More quests, more cookies, and more MineChem (I'm so confused :p). Having had the privilege to beta test it, I got to see all of the effort that went into it to get it balanced and ready for release, and parcel has done it well. Some of the spatial storage areas are still difficult, and are maybe encountered before the player is ready to experience it (Nether Sphere, for example). Early game can drag on a bit, and reward choices have a much bigger impact than what's normal for a HQM map. Minor flaws aside, the easter eggs alone could give this pack a good rating.
By FTB Team CODE: Listed SCORE: 6.5/14 (1+2+2+1.5+0+0) THREAD: http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/challenge-map-win-a-nvidia-gtx-980.61317/
The new PAX map is out and is a major change to the last few, which were crafting maps based on the original pyramid maps. This is a cross between the CTM and Parkour genres that seems to be, as it stands, a difficult Parkour map, and that's it. To an extent, it is no different to any other Parkour map that I could pull off of the Minecraft Forums, only with modded blocks. Whilst a map like this is a very good idea, having 13 of the 16 wools as Parkour isn't good. More variety is needed to make this type of pack flourish. Now if you excuse me, I'm off to win that graphics card. MY BEST TIME: 1:01:49:(
By Phoenix Team CODE: phoenixreborn SCORE: 11/14 (2+2+3+3+1+0) THREAD: http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/1-7-10-phoenix-reborn-tech-magic-progression-ores.59301/
All I can say is... Ores. I never thought that I would have an upgraded barrel full of iron. This pack makes it so ores are nearly as common as stone underground. However, initially, only coal, iron, lapis and redstone are available, with the rest requiring a trip to the Erubus or the Nether. These can only be access through completing various other tasks, including integration between Botania and Blood Magic. Crops have been revamped, meaning that farming is nearly impossible to automate, yet crop breeding makes it more interesting. Project E, in my opinion, removes the balance of the pack, so I have avoided it myself. The integration between mods is the biggest plus of this pack, with both quarries requiring progressive automation. A slower start is my only negative (1 stack of cobblestone for a furnace, really?) but still keeps things interesting.
Just remember that these reviews are a guide only. Your own enjoyment will vary based on your own interests and opinions. Also, if your pack gets a bad review, don't sweat it. If you feel that I have missed something considerable, had a bad experience due to a bug or glitch, or an update has changed the pack considerably, reply below or send me a PM and ask me to reconsider. Also, take the comments into consideration. Use that to improve the pack, or any packs you make in the future. Just remember, your first pack will not be perfection.

I hope that this thread proves useful to you, humble gamer, and that you find entertainment within.

Last edited:
Reactions: Strikingwolf

MarkesOrelies

Jul 29, 2019
The big problem with reviewing packs now is that everything is running on alpha or beta. You can get a sense of what the pack is about but until it is in full release anything can change. Some packs like blastoff is waiting for mods like galacticraft(and those other space stuff) to update ,and when they do the pack as a whole will feel different.
Don't get me wrong I like the idea of pack reviews and if I remember correctly, the same idea was talked about somewhere in a thread. All I am saying is that you need to be careful about judging a pack's merits and flaws, that are are barely standing upright, because they released it for feed-back to early or waiting for mods to update. So Good luck.

tigertomd

Jul 29, 2019
The big problem with reviewing packs now is that everything is running on alpha or beta. You can get a sense of what the pack is about but until it is in full release anything can change. Some packs like blastoff is waiting for mods like galacticraft(and those other space stuff) to update ,and when they do the pack as a whole will feel different.
Don't get me wrong I like the idea of pack reviews and if I remember correctly, the same idea was talked about somewhere in a thread. All I am saying is that you need to be careful about judging a pack's merits and flaws, that are are barely standing upright, because they released it for feed-back to early or waiting for mods to update. So Good luck.

As I said, I won't be reviewing any packs that aren't at least beta, meaning that all mods are in the pack, updated if necessary, and maps and quests (if any) are mostly or 100% completed. The main idea of this stage is bug testing, and bugs won't have an impact on final scores, especially if it is a bug with a specific mod (most likely).

Also, the feedback left is also another way for pack creators to know how to edit their packs before final release. I only stated that packs were to be reviewed once due to time constraints. If I feel that a pack has changed considerably between updates, I may reconsider my review.

Lastly. I will always attempt to seek out the pack author if I am unsure if it is complete enough for a review. For example, the DireWolf20 pack is obviously complete, so I won't be hassling Dire about it. With a pack such as Blastoff I probably would wait to review it, due to it waiting for mod updates.

Matthewk1000

Jul 29, 2019
Hey you can review my pack if you want. It is not a map. It was made for my lets play on my channel The Winter Miner. Its called The Endless Winter Pack. Code TEWP and forum: http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/thr...-adventure-magic-tech-213-mods-v-1-5-0.58774/ It has a ton of mods (213 to be more accurate) for lets plays and you can last a long time playing it. It is actualy in its more final form 1.5.0 it won't have major changes until much later (prob 1.8 update). So only real updates will be for mod updates ext. So you can review it if you want.

tigertomd

Jul 29, 2019
Hey you can review my pack if you want. It is not a map. It was made for my lets play on my channel The Winter Miner. Its called The Endless Winter Pack. Code TEWP and forum: http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/thr...-adventure-magic-tech-213-mods-v-1-5-0.58774/ It has a ton of mods (213 to be more accurate) for lets plays and you can last a long time playing it. It is actualy in its more final form 1.5.0 it won't have major changes until much later (prob 1.8 update). So only real updates will be for mod updates ext. So you can review it if you want.
Will check out soon, once I have cleared through some of the other packs I have planned (Could be between 2-3 weeks).

Also, I hope to release the first and second reviews by early next week.