Modpack config files

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Cougar281

Jul 29, 2019
With the modpack config files, if I update the mods but keep my old config files, if there are any new entries in the config files, will the mod add the required entries to its existing config file, or will things break horribly?

Erosparadox

Jul 29, 2019
My experience tells me that it would not add or edit your current configs(most likely over write them) .It would be like having the wrong configs . Now this isn't a straight forward answer .If the mod is still in same mc version and no major changes have been made to mod in a update then it should work the old config file .Usually tho mods are constantly changing and so are the configs .So an updated mod needs updated configs .I can't help but , to think you are trying to do this because you edit the configs a lot and hate doing so every time.I know I do ,but that is modded mc if you want it to run as best as you can you need to proper up date and configs which means re editing the configs the way you like to play them . I hope this helps and answers your question . using old configs will cause problems the only question is how soon and how many problems will arise but, problems will show up eventually.

Nicon4454

Jul 29, 2019
My experience tells me that it would not add or edit your current configs(most likely over write them) .It would be like having the wrong configs . Now this isn't a straight forward answer .If the mod is still in same mc version and no major changes have been made to mod in a update then it should work the old config file .Usually tho mods are constantly changing and so are the configs .So an updated mod needs updated configs .I can't help but , to think you are trying to do this because you edit the configs a lot and hate doing so every time.I know I do ,but that is modded mc if you want it to run as best as you can you need to proper up date and configs which means re editing the configs the way you like to play them . I hope this helps and answers your question . using old configs will cause problems the only question is how soon and how many problems will arise but, problems will show up eventually.

This is true you will need to re edit the modpack config files each time you update. there are a few things you can do to make things easier for you though.

1) look at the change log for each mod that has changed for the pack, and determine if it is really worth updating if it is only minor changes then maybe just wait to the next one.
2) make a reference file for your self and list all the files you change ie..

Code:
Server Config Changes

mod1
     15; blabla.bla=2048
     19; use.hat.whatever=true

mod2
     7; keep.going=true
     78; get.the.point=true
etc.....

3) keep a clean copy of the config files so you can refer to them. (and replace the edited ones in case of epic fail)

i hope this helps.