mod list for direwolf20 1.6 pack?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

BaxtorUK

Jul 29, 2019
I think the 1.6 mods are about as stable as they are going to get
Can't see anyone putting to much into 1.6 stuff anymore 1.7 has been out for 2 weeks and anything they do now will have to be rewritten in a few weeks or a month at most
If they are waiting for TE then i would not be surprised if at this late stage they skip 1.6 altogether and go straight to 1.7

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
I could of swore Thermal Expansion was ready for 1.6, but I guess not. Seems to be the only thing, outside of IC2, that doesn't have a "stable" release. Really can't release a pack without TE though...
A lot of us thought that about RedPower. We got by though.
If they are waiting for TE then i would not be surprised if at this late stage they skip 1.6 altogether and go straight to 1.7
I think CoFH committed themselves to releasing TE for 1.6 as a response to charity donations.

SonOfABirch

Jul 29, 2019
Considering the Launcher was completely rewritten, I don't think "the excuse is wearing thin". It's not only about the launcher though, there are certain mods that they want updated that just aren't quite ready yet.

ATLauncher3 was completely rewritten and done by a single person.. that is no excuse. There is obviously some issue, but "complete rewrite" is not it.

Tyrindor

Jul 29, 2019
I think the 1.6 mods are about as stable as they are going to get
Can't see anyone putting to much into 1.6 stuff anymore 1.7 has been out for 2 weeks and anything they do now will have to be rewritten in a few weeks or a month at most

Please not this again. People say this every patch and it never happens. When a stable version of Forge is released, that's when most mod makers will abandon 1.6. 1.7 had massive code changes, much more than any other patch, and it's my understanding a stable version of forge will likely take a couple months at the minimum based on what he was tweeting. There is no way they will skip 1.6 and go straight to 1.7. We are talking at least half a year for most mods to be ready, and stable modpacks much longer than that. With the increased size of the Minecraft team, and more work going towards the official API, you can bet that 1.8 or maybe even 1.9 will be released before many mods are ready for 1.7. Also, expect internal changes for 1.8 and beyond to be very large too, completely breaking each and every mod every few months.

I'd actually wager the opposite. 1.6.4 will likely be the golden version for minecraft modding until the official API releases sometime in 2014, that is, if you like playing with lots of mods in a stable pack. If I was making mods, I definitely would not rewriting my code every 3-4 months as progress towards the official API is made... then have to rewrite completely for the official API. I would just wait for the official API, and focus on 1 version of minecraft while the major changes are happening.

Just imagine how much further the modding community could get if we focused on 1 version and waited for the official API to move on. All that time rewriting mods over and over could of been used for balancing and making new content. It's no surprise many modders burn out and pass their mods to another team.

Garth nailo

Jul 29, 2019
Please not this again. People say this every patch and it never happens. When a stable version of Forge is released, that's when most mod makers will abandon 1.6. 1.7 had massive code changes, much more than any other patch, and it's my understanding a stable version of forge will likely take a couple months at the minimum based on what he was tweeting. There is no way they will skip 1.6 and go straight to 1.7. We are talking at least half a year for most mods to be ready, and stable modpacks much longer than that. With the increased size of the Minecraft team, and more work going towards the official API, you can bet that 1.8 or maybe even 1.9 will be released before many mods are ready for 1.7. Also, expect internal changes for 1.8 and beyond to be very large too, completely breaking each and every mod every few months.

I'd actually wager the opposite. 1.6.4 will likely be the golden version for minecraft modding until the official API releases sometime in 2014, that is, if you like playing with lots of mods in a stable pack. If I was making mods, I definitely would not rewriting my code every 3-4 months as progress towards the official API is made... then have to rewrite completely for the official API. I would just wait for the official API, and focus on 1 version of minecraft while the major changes are happening.

Just imagine how much further the modding community could get if we focused on 1 version and waited for the official API to move on. All that time rewriting mods over and over could of been used for balancing and making new content. It's no surprise many modders burn out and pass their mods to another team.

It seems at least one mod author is not sticking with 1.6.4

AlgorithmX2 posted the following on http://ae-mod.info/Announcement/

As of this moment all AE Development for 1.5 and 1.6 has been halted.

I'll be spending all of my time working on a massive overhaul for 1.7 and beyond. I apologize that this means bugs will linger, and that rv14 will not be getting a final build, but I think that this path is the most sound for the future of the mod.

BaxtorUK

Jul 29, 2019
It seems at least one mod author is not sticking with 1.6.4

AlgorithmX2 posted the following on http://ae-mod.info/Announcement/

And this is exactly what I meant and what I would do as well if I wrote mods.
Why continue development on a platform will be obsolete in a few months
Forge said it would take them a month to update, it's been 2 weeks since 1.7 so let's say a month at a push for forge, then it's all systems go

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Why continue development on a platform will be obsolete in a few months
Because the current platform will always be obsolete "in a few months". So what you are saying means that there will never be a time when we have a stable set of mods with bug fixes happening. Unless Mojang finally implement a stable modding API at some point, that is.

BaxtorUK

Jul 29, 2019
Because the current platform will always be obsolete "in a few months". So what you are saying means that there will never be a time when we have a stable set of mods with bug fixes happening. Unless Mojang finally implement a stable modding API at some point, that is.

Phil what I mean is while you are on the latest release then great develop away and fix bugs, but when a new release comes out then surely development shifts towards that, otherwise you are just going to fall further and further behind.

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Phil what I mean is while you are on the latest release then great develop away and fix bugs, but when a new release comes out then surely development shifts towards that, otherwise you are just going to fall further and further behind.
Any time that a piece of software that I am using, and that is the only version available, is officially abandoned and declared "never to be bugfixed", I need to consider whether it's a good idea to rely on that software. And I haven't even started using 1.6 mods yet!

Tyrindor

Jul 29, 2019

That's not really the case anymore though, it's gotten to the point where pretty much entire rewrites to a mod's code are needed everytime the game is patched. As they slowly implement features/changes for the official API, it just destroys/alters the coding mods are based on. Either way, when the official API comes, most mods will need to do complete code re-writes again. Virtually everything they do right now is going to be ~90% unusable in the near future, whether that be 1.7/1.8 or the offical API.

So if it was me: Why would I spend all my time trying to keep my mods up to date, rewriting them everytime a new patch comes until the new API (just to rewrite it completely again), when I could focus on a stable version of Minecraft before these major changes started happening? I'd ask myself, what would allow me to get more actual content and stability to my mods? The answer is most definitely sticking with 1.6.4 until the official API changes are finished. Sadly, you are right. Unless most major modders throw their arms up and say "We're sick of it, lets stick with 1.6.4 for now!", then people will demand newer versions forcing people to spend 99% of their time rewriting for new versions of Minecraft instead of actually improving their mods.

I'm sad AE is done with 1.6.4. It's exactly what i'm talking about, and I feel it's a bad move. We now won't be seeing any AE updates until (1.8?) if I read his post right.

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
...people will demand newer versions forcing people to spend 99% of their time rewriting for new versions of Minecraft...
Demands do not force anyone to do anything, quite the opposite, they piss off the developers and slow things down. I demand that nobody will demand anything! (and, not being a moderator, my demand is unenforcable)

Tyrindor

Jul 29, 2019
Demands do not force anyone to do anything, quite the opposite, they piss off the developers and slow things down. I demand that nobody will demand anything! (and, not being a moderator, my demand is unenforcable)

Well sadly, some people are just greedy even when it comes to free things. Anytime a mod is not updated there's dozens of posts on their thread ranting about it. I think the best step for the Minecraft modding community is to just stop releasing mods for newer versions until the official API, then port everything over. If some of the biggest modders decided they are sticking with 1.6.4, others would follow, and it would result in so much more content and stability. Sadly, I don't see it happening because it could result in losing their fanbases, and getting replaced by different mods.

Official API just can't come soon enough...

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Well sadly, some people are just greedy even when it comes to free things. Anytime a mod is not updated there's dozens of posts on their thread ranting about it.
Sure, but my point is that those demands do not force anyone. Modders do whatever they want, and I can't criticise Algo for his choice of what to do in his spare time. I agree with you, though, that my preference would be to stabilise on the even number versions.