Mekanism/IC2

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

OlexaKid64

Jul 29, 2019
I realize that there's probably threads about this and I may be beating a dead rabbit further into the ground by asking this but, what are the differences between Mekanism and IC2? I'm tempted to do my big 1.6 survival with IC2 and Mekanism but is it really worth it? What are some things that Mekanism adds that are neat and cool? I know IC2 is looking really good with its new update so I for sure want to play around with it, but is it worth it to have Mekanism too or are the mods THAT similar?

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Mekanism has several different types of passive energy generation, each with their own cost to energy ratio which I find to be fairly well balanced.

The solar panels, for example, are rather pricey and, of course, don't function at night or during storms.
The heat generators produce an anemic amount of energy... just barely enough to get you started.
The hydrogen generators require electrolytic seperators to run, which means if you lose all power, you will need to 'prime the pump' so to speak to get it running again.
The Windmill is good for low power in remote locations, like an MFR harvester. Obviously it does better at higher altitudes, but it's not bad so long as it is out in the open.
There's also a Bio-Reactor, which does require fuel in the form of Bio Fuel, which in this mod is a solid produced by putting most plant-like things into the Crusher. It's more of a long-term energy producer, though, outputting an okay amount of energy, but doing so for a relatively long time.

In addition, Mekanism has an interesting way of ore refining. Either you can just use the Enrichment Chamber for a doubling of ore, or you can go the whole hog for Purification Chamber -> Crusher -> Enrichment Chamber -> Smelter for a tripling. Best of all, you can make Factories which can handle multiple inputs simultaneously. So you can have up to seven different items being smelted in the same machine simultaneously. Combine that with the speed upgrades, and you can crank out some pretty insane output rates.

Also, Mekanism machines are configurable with the Configurator. So you can have any side be an input or output, so you can automate them easier.

Oh, and the Mekanism Universal Cable and Energy Cube (energy storage device) can output EU, MJ, or UE energy, depending on which one is requested on the other side. So there's no need to rely on conversion blocks, it does so internally!

OlexaKid64

Jul 29, 2019
Mekanism has several different types of passive energy generation, each with their own cost to energy ratio which I find to be fairly well balanced.

The solar panels, for example, are rather pricey and, of course, don't function at night or during storms.
The heat generators produce an anemic amount of energy... just barely enough to get you started.
The hydrogen generators require electrolytic seperators to run, which means if you lose all power, you will need to 'prime the pump' so to speak to get it running again.
The Windmill is good for low power in remote locations, like an MFR harvester. Obviously it does better at higher altitudes, but it's not bad so long as it is out in the open.
There's also a Bio-Reactor, which does require fuel in the form of Bio Fuel, which in this mod is a solid produced by putting most plant-like things into the Crusher. It's more of a long-term energy producer, though, outputting an okay amount of energy, but doing so for a relatively long time.

In addition, Mekanism has an interesting way of ore refining. Either you can just use the Enrichment Chamber for a doubling of ore, or you can go the whole hog for Purification Chamber -> Crusher -> Enrichment Chamber -> Smelter for a tripling. Best of all, you can make Factories which can handle multiple inputs simultaneously. So you can have up to seven different items being smelted in the same machine simultaneously. Combine that with the speed upgrades, and you can crank out some pretty insane output rates.

Also, Mekanism machines are configurable with the Configurator. So you can have any side be an input or output, so you can automate them easier.

Oh, and the Mekanism Universal Cable and Energy Cube (energy storage device) can output EU, MJ, or UE energy, depending on which one is requested on the other side. So there's no need to rely on conversion blocks, it does so internally!

That was literally beautiful. Thank you so much. One question. Does the energy cube work like a Redstone Energy Cell from TE? Can you break it and still keep the energy? The fact it outputs all the main energy is amazing.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
That was literally beautiful. Thank you so much. One question. Does the energy cube work like a Redstone Energy Cell from TE? Can you break it and still keep the energy? The fact it outputs all the main energy is amazing.
Yes, if you break it you keep all the energy inside it, but it otherwise functions similarly to an IC2 energy storage device by having one output face and five input faces, wrenchable to point the output face in the right direction.

Reactions: OlexaKid64

OlexaKid64

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, if you break it you keep all the energy inside it, but it otherwise functions similarly to an IC2 energy storage device by having one output face and five input faces, wrenchable to point the output face in the right direction.

You sold me. 1.6 Mekanism gets added to my modlist XD

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
You sold me. 1.6 Mekanism gets added to my modlist XD
But wait! There's more!

Order now, and you get ABSOLUTELY FREE of charge... the fact that you can use your standard pick on ANY of the Mekanism machines and you'll always get the machine back instead of an inert machine frame! In fact, you can use your standard pick on the energy cubes and not only guaranteed recover the cube, but all the energy inside!

And as a bonus, we'll throw in this nifty voltage system... sure, it gets very inefficient when you have improper voltages hooked up, but you'll NEVER have an explosion because you hooked up the wrong machine to the wrong voltage!

No more worrying about your machines breaking when you look at them funny! Call now and order yours TODAY!

xBTx

Jul 29, 2019
Also, there's a new video showing off the logistical transporters (item pipes), and they look great. Imagine RP2's pneumatic tubes, but better.

Zenthon_127

Jul 29, 2019
But wait! There's more!

Order now, and you get ABSOLUTELY FREE of charge... the fact that you can use your standard pick on ANY of the Mekanism machines and you'll always get the machine back instead of an inert machine frame! In fact, you can use your standard pick on the energy cubes and not only guaranteed recover the cube, but all the energy inside!

And as a bonus, we'll throw in this nifty voltage system... sure, it gets very inefficient when you have improper voltages hooked up, but you'll NEVER have an explosion because you hooked up the wrong machine to the wrong voltage!
And if you call now, we'll even throw in a multitool and an obsidian tool/armor set! But if enter in this code on our website, we'll triple our offer and add two MORE tool/armor sets and multitools! Hell, we'll even make the game harder in a way that doesn't involve sitting and watching paint dry during crafting by giving these armor sets to zombies and skeletons!

Get Mekanism TODAY!

But seriously, Mek is an awesome mod. It connects to/runs off of everything, so you can connect your Universal Cable to EnderIO pipes if making things pretty becomes an issue. The power gen is also amazing.

DZCreeper

Jul 29, 2019
Also, there's a new video showing off the logistical transporters (item pipes), and they look great. Imagine RP2's pneumatic tubes, but better.

Link to said video? There is the Tubes mod which adds an almost exact replacement of RP2 tubes and TE3 is going to have something similar, but I always like having options.

xBTx

Jul 29, 2019
Link to said video? There is the Tubes mod which adds an almost exact replacement of RP2 tubes and TE3 is going to have something similar, but I always like having options.

It starts off just like the tubes, but the item routing filters towards the end are what makes it really great.

Reactions: PierceSG

Omegatron

Mar 29, 2013
England
Mekanism also has robits, little robots that follow you around and act as chests, furnaces, crafting tables and anvils.

mushroom taco

Jul 29, 2019
I've always LOVED mekanism's wind turbines. LOVED them.

too bad last time i checked i couldn't find much documentation on it... No matter how self explanatory it was.

Methusalem

Jul 29, 2019
And if you call now, we'll even throw in a multitool and an obsidian tool/armor set! But if enter in this code on our website, we'll triple our offer and add two MORE tool/armor sets and multitools! Hell, we'll even make the game harder in a way that doesn't involve sitting and watching paint dry during crafting by giving these armor sets to zombies and skeletons!

Get Mekanism TODAY!

If you haven't ordered already - today is Buy One, Get One Free day!

Buy Mekanism at regular menu price and you can get Atomic Science for no additional cost!(1) Nuclear Fission and Fusion and a giant Particle Accelerator ... for all the moments, when you need "More Power"!!!

(1) Offer excludes shipping and handling.

ThatOneSlowking

Jul 29, 2019
If you haven't ordered already - today is Buy One, Get One Free day!

Buy Mekanism at regular menu price and you can get Atomic Science for no additional cost!(1) Nuclear Fission and Fusion and a giant Particle Accelerator ... for all the moments, when you need "More Power"!!!

(1) Offer excludes shipping and handling.

And that's not all
If you order online right now, you can also have the choice of 3 ICBM modules!
So order now!