Making Things Look "Nice"?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

imGreggzyy

Jul 29, 2019
Hey guys,
So I know for a lot of people like myself building things that actually look good in FTB and Minecraft in general is pretty difficult. Some people pick it up naturally and others don't.
However, at the moment I am finding that everything I seem to do just looks ugly as hell and I don't know what to do about it! I always go online and look at photos screenshots of other peoples builds, but I can just never transfer that into my own builds.

Have any of you got any tips on how to improve my building skills in Minecraft / FTB?

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
Look at other builds, find what you like and try to duplicate the best parts. What's really good is to download save files from sites like planetminecraft and walk around a build you like. You can see what blocks were used and it's easier to see how things were built when you're in game with them.

From there you can either duplicate the build with your own materials or figure out how to reinterpret it in your own way. Maybe hop into creative and try some things out. It's easier than trying this in survival mode. And though I don't like to build things twice, it's better to build in creative first when you're getting into designing. Mainly because with the mods you can get a sense of space needed for your mod blocks in creative mode then build it better in survival.

What I also do now is select a palate of blocks before building. I'll select a few logs and planks with various mod and vanilla stone blocks to see what works best. I'll leave these blocks in from of my build so that I don't stray to far from my original vision and it saves time deciding what to use in a build. Just like a painter, I go Bob Ross on a build sometimes.

The best advice is just to start trying this though. No one has THE best way to design but this thread may give you good tips. Just build until you like it and roll from there.

DanteGalileo

Jul 29, 2019
I really like some of the chisel mod blocks, especially some of the ones that are crafted with an iron ingot surrounded by stone (futuristic?)

I think spruce looks really good with vanilla stone bricks or chisel mod limestone and a lot if mods lately are adding decorative blocks and carpenter's blocks help.

Still, I think minecraft is best viewed either from a distance or with a keen imagination.

Reactions: Padfoote

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Well for me it just comes natural. I actually lie awake at night thinking up architecture and designs :p

The way it works for me is often that I explore the terrain and find a nice unique spot. The immediately I start building in my head and some times I can have it all mapped out before I even place the first block.

But other times it doesn't come that easy and then I just grab a large pile of cobblestone and dirt and start building something. Then as it progresses and I can see which way the design goes I often decides on materials as well and switch over midway and replace all the cobble/dirt with a wand of equal trade.

When choosing materials it is very important for me that the materials have microblocks and if possible facades available. This does limit the selection of materials quite a bit. It is vital for me that at least one of the materials have both microblocks and facades so that I can hide cables and wires, then I can probably settle with the other other only having microblocks available. I then pick out a small bunch of each of the different materials of the colour range that I want and go somewhere to set up a testing ground where I test how they mix and match together. Hopefully that will lead to having chosen 2-4 main materials which I will then use.

Reactions: RealSketch

RealSketch

Jul 29, 2019
Well for me it just comes natural. I actually lie awake at night thinking up architecture and designs :p

The way it works for me is often that I explore the terrain and find a nice unique spot. The immediately I start building in my head and some times I can have it all mapped out before I even place the first block.

But other times it doesn't come that easy and then I just grab a large pile of cobblestone and dirt and start building something. Then as it progresses and I can see which way the design goes I often decides on materials as well and switch over midway and replace all the cobble/dirt with a wand of equal trade.

When choosing materials it is very important for me that the materials have microblocks and if possible facades available. This does limit the selection of materials quite a bit. It is vital for me that at least one of the materials have both microblocks and facades so that I can hide cables and wires, then I can probably settle with the other other only having microblocks available. I then pick out a small bunch of each of the different materials of the colour range that I want and go somewhere to set up a testing ground where I test how they mix and match together. Hopefully that will lead to having chosen 2-4 main materials which I will then use.
That lie awake thing, same for me.

Tristam Izumi

Jul 29, 2019
Honestly, just practice practice practice. Perhaps spend some time in a semi-creative (or creative+ with NEI) world and just try building for a while.

You're right that it comes naturally to some people and not to others. I'm one of the ones that it doesn't come naturally to, but I think over time I've become at least a slightly better builder.

Albin_Xavier

Jul 29, 2019
All i do is take either a pre-built house, or an empty field, and just go. If I don't like it, I'll change it later.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
It is also important to have the will to really invest some time into it. It doesn't come out of the blue. I spend hours upon hours on buildings things, fiddling around with an inventory full of all different microblocks and 3 hotbar slots free for them.. Or sometimes the landscape is just perfect! Almost... And you end up having to build a mountain from scratch to make it look right:
gbffSUS.png

0z7KVhW.png

I have known plenty of people who have so and so big ideas, reserve big areas of land on servers, start to demolish the landscape and then never get anywhere further than a dirt hovel.

Albin_Xavier

Jul 29, 2019
It is also important to have the will to really invest some time into it. It doesn't come out of the blue. I spend hours upon hours on buildings things, fiddling around with an inventory full of all different microblocks and 3 hotbar slots free for them.. Or sometimes the landscape is just perfect! Almost... And you end up having to build a mountain from scratch to make it look right:
gbffSUS.png

0z7KVhW.png

I have known plenty of people who have so and so big ideas, reserve big areas of land on servers, start to demolish the landscape and then never get anywhere further than a dirt hovel.
Wow, when I build something, usually it's 4 9x9s (Direwolf20 style) connected by some blocks and decorated with a triangular roof. (with slopes from carpenter's blocks)

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
It is also important to have the will to really invest some time into it. It doesn't come out of the blue.

I was a mod on a vanilla server where crap like that happened. It's fine when the lots are small but one guy earned 100+ chunks to claim, built a huge ring in the sky, and disappeared. Naturally it was near a noob village full of younger players. I got tired of them dying when they wandered beneath this massive mob trap so I spent 2 hours destroying it.

kilteroff

Jul 29, 2019
ImGreggzyy, I feel your pain, though my problem is more a lack of shits-given about appearance, I play for mining / playing with tech.

Chisel is the light and the truth, it realllllllly makes it easy to look like you actually put work into your buildings with just 5 minutes of effort.

Bruigaar

Jul 29, 2019
Micro blocks help even out those rounded spots. And turning your basic bock in new ways add to a build. Want a cross shaped window use 4 stairs and 2 slabs bammm!!!.. You just made a church.... Want an arrow slit in your wall bammm!!! 4 1/4 blocks and you can shoot out but they can't shoot in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
As others have said, Chisel, Carpenter's Blocks, and multiparts go a long way. I'm awful at building, but these three help make things look much better.

Reactions: YX33A

ESchrodingersCat

Jul 29, 2019
Something that helped me a lot was actually learning a bit about architecture. Like, real life architecture because a lot of the same rules apply. For example, learning about spacial priority drastically improved my builds. Also, let the minecraft circle guides on google images be your bffs tru frands 5ever. Curves can add a lot to a build because they help you avoid repetition and add variety. And one of the most important things to keep in mind is that you need depth. As other people have mentioned, microblocks can go a long way with this but you don't necessarily need them. Building big helps a lot (shout out to the builder's wand--thank you bunches, CPW). And as a general rule, if you back up and the blocks on your build start streaking, you need more detail.

Mostly, as others have said, the more you build, the more you get a sense for what looks good and what doesn't. It's important to stick with a build because if you don't struggle, you don't learn (sorry for being cliche; I can't help it).

Jack0928PC

Jul 29, 2019
How I see it, building good is just a mindset. Take Direwolf for example, If you look at his builds it usually just entails a couple boxes with connecting tunnels made on stone brick. Is it impressive, Not really but its what he fills them with that is. Im sure your able to put together something better than just a couple boxes with tunnels. Just plan something out and stick with it, make sure to add detail and depth, as that is the key in making builds standout and typically look good. Now if you still have problems with that build in the ground. It is alot easier to shape a base when you dont need to look at its perspective from the outside. Then detail on the inside should just come naturally. If thats not your thing pull and etho. Make a base in a cave system and just bring it to life. That is all I have to offer hope it helps.

Kyll.Ing.

Jul 29, 2019
A few years of playing the The Sims series taught me one crucial thing: Never build rooms without a purpose. That is certainly so in Minecraft too. Note that this post gives tips on general layout, not necessarily pretty details. Still, after having built and used a fair number of frustratingly laid-out bases (Strongholds are the worst offenders of this, ever), I can definitely attest that layout is a very important factor in your base's likability.

Simply stacking boxy rooms next to/on top of each other does not make a pretty base. Before you start building, you should ask yourself a question or two. For instance, "What should the reactor/enchanting/cookie baking room look like?". Then, design the room with the purpose in mind. It's a lot better than building a base first, and then awkwardly trying to shoehorn in a setup in whatever idle room you find. Or worse, leaving the rooms empty because you can't find a purpose for them.

Try to begin with the end in mind. What kind of rooms do you need? What should they contain? Which rooms should lie next to each other for maximum convenience? For instance, you'd want your storage room to be close to your ore processing line, to avoid having to string pipes everywhere. Likewise, power generation should be close to the machine room. There should not be a maze of corridors between your bedroom and the room where you spend most of your time, if you go to sleep every night. Similarly, seldom-used rooms (for instance, housing Implosion Compressors, Enchantment Tables or BC laser setups) kan be kept away from the central part of the base. Having to run around the Assembly Table every time you walk between your machine room and your depot will get really annoying after a while. Speaking of really annoying, keep your cow farm far away from everything else. Your ears will thank you.

In the process, don't be afraid of ripping up your entire earlygame setup when upgrading your base. That wall of Iron Furnaces will serve no purpose once the Induction Furnace is running. Stacking more and more chests to store ores and ingots in your machine room works in early-mid-game, but eventually you're going to need a separate depot (or convert to AE). That library you've got can be rebuilt elsewhere if it stands in the way of your Molecular Assembly Chamber.

And with function, beauty usually follows suit. Integrate the purpose of the various rooms into your design, rather than designing separately from the purpose. If you know you're going to need a Nuclear Reactor, for instance, build a mini power plant around it. Shielding walls, a control room, perhaps even a particularly well-protected chest to store valuable stuff in when tinkering with the reactor. Your reactor might be totally safe, but that storage room provides an extra level of depth to your design. Same goes for your base entrance, why not put in a reception desk?

In short, lay down a basic map of your base in your mind before building it. It might also be a good idea to leave room for expansion, for instance having a pretty little garden outside your depot so you don't have to demolish anything other than a flower bed when you eventually run out of room in there. Less important rooms can also be stacked vertically, for instance in towers or dungeons. If you only use your Assembly Table to make a Gate every other week or so, the setup can be placed in some far-off corner of your base.

Last, throughout different stages of the game, your base will have different requirements. Your initial dirt-and-planks hovel won't need to house much more than a furnace, a crafting table and a few chests. You will have to build new rooms as the game progresses, and unless you're super-efficient at reuse, you will discard a few rooms on the way too. My tip then is to rebuild, not expand, once you feel that your requirements have changed sufficiently from the last phase. Trying to keep your hovel as the centre of your high-tech base is going to require a lot of skill to pull off properly. It's better then to abandon it or tear it down, and build something epic from the ground up.

Reactions: YX33A