Lets See Some Bases! Give Us a Tour!

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Well, I see two physics problems:

1) There's no reason it should stay aloft, you should add some balloons, propellers, jet engines, etc.
2) that base, assuming it did have some magical method of staying afloat, would tip around a lot, as it has only one chain keeping it down, and so needs more chains.
Or...
3) Quantum Locking based Levitation.

For examples of this, go play Bioshock Infinity.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Yes yes I know what you mean, but considering he's growing trees, and living there, I doubt it's cold enough.
...You know how how super-conduction works, right? Yes, one can use super cooled systems, but in theory one can use room temperature kinds(if you invent them first), and even if you used super cooled versions, you can easily make those in areas that are not all that connected to anywhere else. Warming up the area outside of the superconductor rooms is easy enough with a few boilers.

the_j485

King of the Wicked
Dec 19, 2012
Look behind you
...You know how how super-conduction works, right? Yes, one can use super cooled systems, but in theory one can use room temperature kinds(if you invent them first), and even if you used super cooled versions, you can easily make those in areas that are not all that connected to anywhere else. Warming up the area outside of the superconductor rooms is easy enough with a few boilers.
Just consider how big the superconductor would need to be. And seeing as room-temperature super-conduction hasn't been invented yet (just waiting for scanene), we can assume you couldn't do it at room temperature.
To lift something that massive, you would need a huge superconductor and a huge magnet.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Just consider how big the superconductor would need to be. And seeing as room-temperature super-conduction hasn't been invented yet (just waiting for scanene), we can assume you couldn't do it at room temperature.
To lift something that massive, you would need a huge superconductor and a huge magnet.
Yup... Also can be under the bloody thing. The magnet can be in the sky, and the superconductor can be underground.

the_j485

King of the Wicked
Dec 19, 2012
Look behind you
Yup... Also can be under the bloody thing. The magnet can be in the sky, and the superconductor can be underground.
I believe I mentioned that the magnet would have to be massive as well :p

Basically, just put some kind of upwards thrust things - rocket engines, jet engines, propellers, ion thrusters, whatever floats your giant sky-base / boat.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
I believe I mentioned that the magnet would have to be massive as well :p

Basically, just put some kind of upwards thrust things - rocket engines, jet engines, propellers, ion thrusters, whatever floats your giant sky-base / boat.
...You haven't played/seen Bioshock Infinity, have you? It's totally doable even for a city. And before you say "it's just a game" it's spot on with that bit. Yes, it needs to be big, but the infrastructure for it is based around "where do we put this giant magnet?" and nothing else.

the_j485

King of the Wicked
Dec 19, 2012
Look behind you
...You haven't played/seen Bioshock Infinity, have you? It's totally doable even for a city. And before you say "it's just a game" it's spot on with that bit. Yes, it needs to be big, but the infrastructure for it is based around "where do we put this giant magnet?" and nothing else.
I was talking about this guy's base. And isn't that the city that people would die of too low air pressure?

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
I was talking about this guy's base. And isn't that the city that people would die of too low air pressure?
If it was above the death zone, yes, they would. But the city in Bioshock Infinity is below the death zone.
Plus, he'd need smaller everything then the city in said game, since his place is smaller. Like, a lot smaller.

Spiffysunkist

Jul 29, 2019
Some updates to the base:

8sa3d7X.jpg

The main hub is well on it's way! Most of the machines will be placed within the 4 huts (some for automation and some for manual use). A little pixel art to correspond to the wing that will branch off from each side.

ZLYr578.jpg

The letters look upside down from outside the huts, but there will be a roof in place over the whole platform eventually

wCWuNX7.jpg

The lower structure will be the fluids room (soon to be fully enclosed). It will eventually house twenty 7x7x8 steel RC tanks. With a floating structure, I had to build in some behind the scenes buffer room on the top/bottom/sides for pipes and associated machines. I'm thinking of using illusion blocks to allow hidden access to this space for tweaking.

bdqWIlu.jpg

It does look good with open bays, but I plan on closing it up once I devour another volcano. Makes it easy to access while I'm building inside.

Reactions: Padfoote

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
Heres an update to my last set of pics. I know its not as intricate as some people's bases but I like it.

Ive pretty much moved everything out of my starter base there on the left to rooms beneath the tower. Redesigned the golem farm a bit.

Beneath the thaumcraft room is a secret underground facility. Heres my ore processing. Redstone ores on the left, metals on the right. I never see anyone use induction smelters for ore doubling but to me, they are the best.

Ive upgraded my AE system quite a bit since the last pic. Ive created two subnetworks on the left and right so I have less stuff to scroll through in the access terminal. That and the ten ME chests makes all of my items easy to find without typing.

Warning Hazard Zone!

Big Reactor, many resonant energy cells, Ender IO dimensional transceiver (aka tesseract) connected to a quarry plus. Flip lever, lights turn on, items shoot through itemduct into ender chest.

not finished with the room below.

Aaaaaand the WIP room where I think I will build a mob prison/creeper torture room. The holes in the wall are where Ill put different cells, each holding a different mob.

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
Ok so I set up an automatic snowman maker/grinder:

Works great! Now I have infinite mob essence which will power my nonstop creeper torture.

Taiine

Jul 29, 2019
Mash that map is freaking insane. What did you use to edit the world like that? I know of worldpainter and world edit, but man I can never get my landscapeing to look that good, and the cut away wow!
I hope some day you share your secrets.

masterzh

Forum Addict
Jan 6, 2013
Slovakia
Mash that map is freaking insane. What did you use to edit the world like that? I know of worldpainter and world edit, but man I can never get my landscapeing to look that good, and the cut away wow!
I hope some day you share your secrets.
In video is showed mostly imported map called The Mysterious Island.
But its pretty small part compared to what i created with worldpainter.
Here is whole project map overview http://i.minus.com/iQJlC7KdD5UDJ.jpg
Intact nature is imported custom map rest is mine. I used as you sad: worldpainter, WE and voxelsniper.

MrD3cisive

Jul 29, 2019
my UU matter sky base recently made, The main reason its this high in the air is because of windmills. anyways its basically 6 bio generators (ethanol) , 1 HV solar, 2 EV windmills, 77 Generators and 32 compression dynamo's with the RF being converted to EU. Modpack: Monster Resource Pack: Sphax pure Bdcraft

sorry for the screen caps, wasn't sure how to find my screenshots on a mac. for FTB

http://imgur.com/yC5I23p

http://imgur.com/Uik5PGv