Lets See Some Bases! Give Us a Tour!

Alestance

Jul 29, 2019
an8R6Ah.png

Here's another old shot. This one was on a private server. I never really liked Thaumcraft, or magic mods in general, but I figured I'd at least make an attempt. I didn't get far, but at least it looked nice.

I had a lot of platinum and not much need for enderium, so floating microblock shiny blocks. Floating microblock shiny blocks everywhere.

Last edited:

idjmleader

Jul 29, 2019
2014-03-15_15.50.15.png

Here's another old shot. This one was on a private server. I never really liked Thaumcraft, or magic mods in general, but I figured I'd at least make an attempt. I didn't get far, but at least it looked nice.

I had a lot of platinum and not much need for enderium, so floating microblock shiny blocks. Floating microblock shiny blocks everywhere.
WOW!!

Reactions: YekimonTheMarginal

Alestance

Jul 29, 2019
Here's a small collection of images from when me and a friend were playing sometime last October.

I had been stricken to do something oriental inspired at the time. I went hambone with microblocks and Carpenter's Blocks.
I also didn't account for the low ceiling, so the indoor lanterns are more in the way than aesthetically pleasing.

Most of my structures tend to be small. I don't like building grand and massive structures, I usually like things nice and compact. I also don't quite know how to make large structures aesthetically pleasing. Rooms tend to be, at the most, 7 by 7. My Thaumcraft room in my previous post was an exception, not a rule.

And finally, dirt bricks are amazing.

Here are some miscellaneous images from other things I've built.

Last edited:
Reactions: Yusunoha

Niko_Bellic_3

Jul 29, 2019
an8R6Ah.png

I love this. Especially the blue color scheme. I would show pics of my sky factory version of this, but I don't have any.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
I actually like smaller structures most of the time. It's just a matter of having a balance between cramped and cozy. Large rooms, become too empty, so I start trying to fill them up, with machines, or pipes, and they look a mess.

Reactions: rhn

RJS

Jul 29, 2019
an8R6Ah.png

How did you get that purple smoke? I want it :p

Middleclaw

Apr 12, 2014
I would hazard a guess that it's DE's particle generators (assuming it's installed) otherwise I would have no idea.I too would love to know if it's not DE.

Alestance

Jul 29, 2019
How did you get that purple smoke? I want it :p
Ars Magicka 2's Particle Emitter. The pack that server was using was the Direwolf20 modpack for 1.6.4. I always kind of preferred Ars Magicka over Thaumcraft, if I ever was going to go magic at all.

I had a particle emitter under the Runic Matrix, and every pedestal, and wanted to make it look evil and tainted. I accomplished just that, but at the cost of destroying everyone's framerate who dared visit me. Suffice to say, the particle emitters didn't remain for long, but I couldn't resist screen-capping it for posterity.

Reactions: Padfoote

Desman

Sep 23, 2014
Here's my Atonement underground base. I tried to make a video, but failed miserably. In the screenshots it doesn't look as good as in-game.

Lobby/exit
Black anti-blocks with chiseled glowstone.
tKEAqda.png

sfULGkH.png

Study - thaumcraft research
I made a separate room for researching stuff. Paperwall block with black dye, black/white anti-block. The floor is half-slabs, to make the table look like a coffee table. The wall stripes are done with the carpenter's ladder, black anti-block against a paperwall wall. That works very well with a bibliocraft painting frame, also anti-block. The closet is made from chiseled thaumcraft blocks with brown dye.

apcVfIM.png

rUKkFly.png

j8xERyZ.png

Main crafting room
I decided to ditch the usual setup of having a room full of chests and crafting tables. Just a crafting table and a couple of chests with primary/secondary crafting materials. Near the painting there's a secret door to a tiny cupboard with a few more chests for surplus stuff and a poppet shelf.

NnbCvnB.png

wMM7GH2.png

tNwrBsM.png

Secondary crafting room
Crafting stuff that is rarely used goes here. Namely Clockwork Phase and Bibliocraft devices. The closet in the middle is again chiseled thaumcraft blocks, with a bibliocraft framed shelf filled with colorful blocks. The hatches tastefully conceal jabba barrels for cobblestone and similar blocks.

zVDtEl6.png

oACMAjz.png

LblvT6o.png

Metalworking room
The Infernal Furnace is surrounded with Flaxbeard's crucibles on nether bricks. Behind the crucibles there are ingot molds, not very practical, I just added the crucibles for aesthetics at this point.

x05XXwo.png

VTQrjUP.png

dy65Zdz.png

Gardens
Most of Atonement is spent underground, leading to cave adaptation and claustrophobia. I try to fight that by creating an illusion of being outside, with the black anti-blocks making it impossible to determine where the ceiling really is. The chiseled stone walls somewhat look like eroded old ruins. The overgrowth bush effect is achieved with carpenter's blocks filled with greatwood leafs, with more leafs added as layers on top of that, adding variety to the grass.

I made a small gazebo for the Botania altar, with carpenter's blocks filled with Botania livingwood planks. The roof contains two mana pools with six mana spreaders pointing at the altar for fast crafting. Everything blends in pretty seamlessly.

I named the squids in the fountain with nametags, so they don't despawn and shed ink sacks. Black ink has been rather hard to produce in decent quantities in this modpack, and this base design uses a crazy amount of black dye...

8BaZMgx.png

sPLFpfb.png

WpUW4hY.png

xNFCuFI.png

UXzgFbe.png

Will be continued below...

Desman

Sep 23, 2014
Part 2.

The zoo
In this little corner I can sit on the bench, relax and have a drink, watch the critters... They shed feathers, eggs, slimeballs and blaze powder that is being hopperhocked into the chest. I found an op exploit that allows you to spawn a blaze in the overworld very early, and that blaze has been pooping powder ever since. The magma cube was a late and mostly unnecessary addition through the thaumcraft containment focus.

ptg4p7L.png

rPSNsd8.png

The farm
Not very creative, it follows the previous stone wall decoration. I mostly farm pumpkins for pies, and black dye from thaumcraft roses.

9OLeOPG.png

The spooky forest
Now back to the good part. Here I'm going for a thick and dark forest, themed around witchery.

The nether portal is surrounded by horizontally placed carpenter's stairs with nether bricks, randomly colored with gray dyes. Kinda like a dark temple. I made trees with scary faces, as in old fairytales, using dyed pumpkins. If you played Don't Starve, you'll know what it's supposed to look like. Randomly placed ruin obelisks among the trees, with mystical lights dancing everywhere (thaumcraft Nitor).

I made a ruin structure that somewhat resembles the witchery circles you can find on the surface, chiseled stone with a cobblestone "altar" in the middle, topped with a thaumcraft lightball. The real altar gets about 4500 power from the surface, with more stuff below it. After I filled the chalice and got a dragon egg, it now has 20000 power. Carpenter's trap doors conceal chests and the enrtrance to the power room.

HEGuLsZ.png

R1j32Z5.png

2nCKMXK.png

XfWY74Z.png

G83c8wD.png

hlY3ylM.png

pyIO8Rq.png

8TSh95G.png

NBbY7Cj.png

5n98zBY.png

Thaumcraft infusion and crafting
Following the previous designs. Not too happy with the infusion setup, I did not plan that very well.

The alchemy lab has a back room with two doorways that are blending in with the walls. That's where the golem can discreetly empty the alembics, without any of it being very visible.

1HnTE3T.png

qwhY9Qg.png

mZLO27f.png

EL7jmEa.png

anThMPg.png

f4b36AL.png

bjPxdDO.png

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
So I'm finally ready to show off: The Land of Trains (Monster Recommended)

My house:

My Thaumcraft Areas:

The upper area is my research and non infusion crafting area. There's a crucible on the left and research table on the right. With a Biblio desk containing a Thauminomicon.

Storage:

I see your puny Jabba walls and raise you this.

Cobble Compression:

Goes up to Quintuple compressed and keeps it out of the barrels. Otherwise...well, you get the idea.

Golem Farm:

All four Natura Berries, wheat and potatoes. I don't have carrots on hand, but I'll put them in eventually. Plus golems are awesome. If only they'd stay on the correct side of the fence.

Tree Breeding:

One forest bee and a bunch of forestry trees. Then go do something useful for a while.

And now, for the main event: Trains.

Railyard:

This is where all of my (one) long distance trains come to. At the moment it's only capable of item unloading. Soon though, it will have fluid handling capabilities. Or possibly be converted to a fueling station only, and have routing capabilities instead.

Rail Lines:

This is the rail line heading north, from the main rail yard. The cross sections have signal blocks on them, set up to stop trains heading through from passing. I need to construct additional signals to stop the cross trains from hitting a North-South Train.

Railcraft Production:

Creosote Storage:

There's two drums and four more double glass tanks out of sight, keeping the coke ovens going, and the charcoal feeding into a 1x1 boiler to power the production of rails. Carpenter for making ties, and then some auto-workbenches to convert them, and turn them into tracks.

Alestance

Jul 29, 2019
The beginning of a new base
1st: My main crafting room and temporary storage facility. The Smeltary is built 12 layers tall, capable of melting 108 simultaneous items.
2nd: The beginning of the main hallway. You could see that its still heavily WIP, as is much of my base in general right now.
3rd: Manual farms. Ancient Warfare requires quite a lot of string to progress down it's tech tree, and since I don't have access to machines to turn wool into string(or even sheep to provide the wool), I'm taking the slow route. Wheat is for cows and research. Barley is for food. I don't have carrots nor potatoes yet.
4th: Cows. There's the beef.
5th: Iron Furnaces. I cook things in large batches.

I'm playing a heavily modified version of the Direwolf20 pack. All the magic mods have been removed, as well as iChun's stuff(Not that I don't like Hats or Portalgun, they just don't really fit my playstyle for this specific game) I've also added in Ancient Warfare, which leads me to note that I'm playing with a bit of a challenge. Any item or block that requires power in the form of EU, RF, Charge, or other electricity-type energy, with the exception of Ancient Warfare's, is off limits until I finish the research tree in Ancient Warfare. Though that severely limits what I have access to in the early game, I still have quite a few things I can work with until then. Tinker's Construct will be extremely useful. I'm stock-piling lava as it will be my main method of processing ores until I finish research.

EDIT

Progress
I've made it far enough down the research tree to get some farms going. I was already producing more food than I was using, and now I have two minions civilians that are producing even more food. I've also decorated a bit more.
1st: The main hall is coming together nicely.
2nd: Crop farm. Technically this machine can take RF, but it also can be powered manually by slave labor our hard working civilians. I did change it so that the farm itself produces wheat, while I have to manually pick cotton. I do my fair share around here.
Speaking of civilian workers, lets take a peek at them while they're working!
3rd: Here's Ted. He's currently fishing. I don't know if he likes fishing or not, but he's caught a weeks worth of food for three.
4th: And here's Bill. He's currently working with the crops. What a pro serf.
5th: This is the hallway that leads to civilian apartments.
6th: At the moment the apartments aren't decorated, but I plan to fix this shortly.

Last edited:
Reactions: Yusunoha