Launcher 1.2.4 and drop in FPS

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

slay_mithos

Jul 29, 2019
Hello,

Before I updated the launcher, I had a stable 125 FPS.
In my base, it dropped a bit, to 100-110, but still very high for what I cared.

Now, I get a frame rate that is bellow 60.

It needs to be noted that the pack is exactly the same, as so is the base.

Now, I know that the launcher sends some special arguments that basically makes the game use way more resources (cpu and/or graphic card), but gave a way better frame rate.

I am guessing that this system got messed up with the update, but I wanted other feedback from other people before submitting something officially to the FTB team.

So my question is, without changing packs or places, did you notice a big drop of FPS from when using the previous version of the launcher?

Gr3n

Jul 29, 2019
That's cute. I'm still trying to find out what I have to do to my computer to get above 15 FPS. I believe your eye can only see at 30 frames per second, so that shouldn't really be a problem for you.

Reactions: seannyyx

MonthOLDpickle

Jul 29, 2019
Not everyone but majority can only see thirty. Thing is when you get steady sixty+ then it goes to thirty out is really noticeable.

Second poster what is your cpu?

Freakscar

Jul 29, 2019
Thing is, the number does not matter in the end. If a player happens to notice a difference while playing, then he notices a difference. No matter the FPS in question. And if said difference makes the gameplay less enjoyable, that is completely subjective and not a thing one can discuss serious. It's an opinion. Mithos notices the framedrop and asks for a possible solution to revert that. Answer that and don't talk about stuff you can't even judge.

OnTopic: Did you, by chance, either forget to reinstall Optifine, or maybe use a different version? E.g. instead of, say "Standard A 1.74" (random number) you downloaded "Standard A 1.76" or similar?

Reactions: RedBoss

slay_mithos

Jul 29, 2019
That's cute. I'm still trying to find out what I have to do to my computer to get above 15 FPS. I believe your eye can only see at 30 frames per second, so that shouldn't really be a problem for you.
That's definitely not the point here.

I would like that this thread does not turn into a flame over "can you see the difference between 30 and 60 FPS".

The only thing that is certain is that the game is way less responsive with less than 60 FPS than it was at 120.
Also, Minecraft being what it is, the frame rate is never stable, and it feels like the whole game is stuttering a bit.

I am not saying that it is not playable, I am only saying that my computer was able to run it way faster before the launcher update.

The fact that you can not see or feel the difference above 30 FPS or that your computer is not able to even reach that is not the issue here.

So once again, let me state the returns I would like:
Did you get a noticeable FPS drop when you updated your launcher?

slay_mithos

Jul 29, 2019
No, the launcher seems about the same.

But the Javaw.exe from Minecraft, on the other hand takes the "normal" resources again.

Before, my laptop would clearly use more resources (resulting in my fans having to turn a bit faster and louder).
In a previous thread, I read about the difference in FPS between MultiMC and the launcher being based on the launcher inserting additional arguments while launching.

I think at least my launcher lost those, so I will have to search a bit to find them again.

It seems like my problem is only on my end, so it might have to do with how it didn't want to properly update for a while (always asking about an update to the version it was already in).

Thanks.

EDIT: I re downloaded the launcher, and I am again at 110 FPS, so it was indeed something that went wrong during the update.

Bigglesworth

Jul 29, 2019
Thats strange the launcher should have ANY impact. I wonder if it tried to change your FPS setting to power saver.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019

the eye 30 FPS limit is a common misunderstanding. And the turth is a little more complex than just setting a number becuase of how the human eye actually sees things. But it is effectively much higher the 30 FPS.[DOUBLEPOST=1367184502][/DOUBLEPOST]As a reply to the actual OP and thread topic. Have you tryed removing Optifine. I have an issue everytime I update the luncher it messes up Optifine I uninstall it and reinstall it and most of the times it works others I have to wait until Optifine comes out with an update.