Killing the wither with warded blocks

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
So people have asked me about this. So sure I'm game with a little testing and stuff heres the Shoop way to punch him to death. Though I suggest a sword it will go quicker.

So the warded blocks are basically imposable for the wither to break. But there are some issues. Ive noticed with testing the warded glass does some to break (and then replace it self) form his attacks and he can glitch out of it. I've not seen him do with the warded stone blocks yet. Also it seems to work a lot better if he never gets line of sight on you. So I come up with a sort of wither holder set up that does not let him move while letting him spawn and making him easy to kill.

Ward blocks to murder by Saice, on Flickr

That little yellow line there is where you will be standing later.

There seems to be some weirdness with the space around him when he spawns. I've made this tighter before but sometimes he spawns and then glitches right out of it. The 2 block edge around him seems to stop that.

Sorry its hard to see but you open one side with your wand. Put the soulsand in the holder and give it its heads. then replace the blocks jump back and wait for the explosion before stepping up and kill him.

Now just stab his feet and win.

Sorry never hit me I forgot to eat.

Reactions: Chocorate

Chocorate

Jul 29, 2019
Could this be automated with a Melee Turtle or Iron Golem, or does it depend on the angle of the sword which those cannot hit?

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
Could this be automated with a Melee Turtle or Iron Golem, or does it depend on the angle of the sword which those cannot hit?

I'm sure a turtle could do the murdering hell you could use a turtle to build him to like in the force field based farm if you like.

Reactions: Dravarden

Mash

Jul 29, 2019
Huh. For some reason I was under the impression that the Wither could destroy warded blocks.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
Huh. For some reason I was under the impression that the Wither could destroy warded blocks.

Its weird. He does break them sometimes but they pop right back in. Thats why I did this to restrict his moment. It seems that moment when the block is gone he can slip out of the trap in some cases.

Mash

Jul 29, 2019
Its weird. He does break them sometimes but they pop right back in. Thats why I did this to restrict his moment. It seems that moment when the block is gone he can slip out of the trap in some cases.

Hmm. Could this be prevented by double-layering?

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm. Could this be prevented by double-layering?

Not with warded glass. He will push on the glass while trying to get to you. As soon as he gets into a missing block when it pops back in he will glitch out of the wall. Ive tried 2 and 3 block deep builds as soon as he gets trapped in a wall he pops right out.

Mash

Jul 29, 2019
Not with warded glass. He will push on the glass while trying to get to you. As soon as he gets into a missing block when it pops back in he will glitch out of the wall. Ive tried 2 and 3 block deep builds as soon as he gets trapped in a wall he pops right out.

Ah, gotchya. I was hoping that he'd pop inwards instead of outwards if he had less distance to travel to glitch back into the trap.

That's a bit frustrating, in any case.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
Either way this build works well I've ran it a few times and it seems solid.

THUNDERGROOVE

Jul 29, 2019
I've had absolute horrible luck with similar setups in SMP. Withers break blocks for a split second allowing them to wedge into the blocks and eventually escape. It happened in my base, luckily it didn't ruin too much stuff.

Dravarden

Jul 29, 2019
I've had absolute horrible luck with similar setups in SMP. Withers break blocks for a split second allowing them to wedge into the blocks and eventually escape. It happened in my base, luckily it didn't ruin too much stuff.

I still don't get how the withers can break warded blocks for a split of second (I think is a tick) but not mffs.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
I still don't get how the withers can break warded blocks for a split of second (I think is a tick) but not mffs.

I'm not sure either but it happens. Someone would have to look at the code for Thuam to really know why.

Dravarden

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not sure either but it happens. Someone would have to look at the code for Thuam to really know why.

azanor said that he can't make so the wither doesn't break warded for a split of second because the awesome folks at mojang hard coded bedrock to be the only one.

no idea how thunder did it.

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
azanor said that he can't make so the wither doesn't break warded for a split of second because the awesome folks at mojang hard coded bedrock to be the only one.

no idea how thunder did it.
If MFFS looks for entities crossing block boundaries and pushes them around, but Thaumcraft just replaces blocks, that would explain it. Has anyone tried grabbing the Wither with a gravity gun?

ShireensPlay

Jul 29, 2019
I've tried to kill the wither with the warded glass and as you said he glitches out when he spawns. Sometimes when he spawns he glitches out of the corners of the warded glass blocks.

I'm going to try your method and see how it works :D

BanzaiBlitz

Jul 29, 2019
I recall DW20 talking about how the Wither affects MFFS blocks. Basically the same as the warded stone. Quick flash, one tick perhaps, and it's replaced again. Whether he knows the code aspect or not is another matter entirely but if MFFS is acting not by block presence, but entity detection and restriction, that's kinda cool. :)

Jerome Asich

Jul 29, 2019
I'm sure a turtle could do the murdering hell you could use a turtle to build him to like in the force field based farm if you like.
The turtle would be annihilated by the wither if it was ever in range to to be able to cause the wither damage.