Just started,help would be nice!

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Sobe Fanta

Jul 29, 2019
Hello fellow ftb'ers! I've just started playing ftb with a few friends. I've got a decent amount of materials (I think). This might sound noobish, but considering there's all these awesome items to craft I have no idea where to start. I'd appriciate some kind of outline of what order to make stuff. If there is no specific order maybe post in what order you did it, also some helpful hints couldn't hurt. Thanks in advance for anyone who helps. :)

okaayha

Jul 29, 2019
read the TE (thermal expansion) wiki and see the awesomeness of those items and start building them[DOUBLEPOST=1355345439][/DOUBLEPOST]and for buildcraft power production set up a railcraft low pressure boiler with solid fueled firebox 1 by 1 will be fine at the start

BurningCake

Jul 29, 2019
Just pick a random mod and start working at it. Of course, starting with IC2 and Thermal Expansion are probably best, as you can double ores outputs and such.

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
I recommend starting with Thermal Expansion. The pulveriser or induction smelter should be your first machine. The machines are pretty cheap overall, and you will make multiples of some of them. Aqueous Accumulator is a good way to provide water to machines.

For starting buildcraft power, I recommend the magmatic engine if you have easy access to lava, if not, the railcraft hobbyist engine is pretty nice. You can use some lava and the igneous extruder to get easy access to the nether before you even have a diamond pick.

For better buildcraft power, some people go forestry and biogas engines, other go to the railcraft boiler and steam engines. Up to you. There are advantages both ways.

ItharianEngineering

Jul 29, 2019
I would recommend getting some of the railcraft stuff set up early. In this case I am talking about the coke oven and the blast furnace. The coke oven let's you turn your coal into coal coke which is 4 times as effective, and also produces creosote oil which is required to make any rails now. It just requires brick and sand but is a multiblock structure so you have to put it together yourself. http://railcraft.wikispaces.com/Coke+Oven+(Device)

BurningCake

Jul 29, 2019
I would recommend getting some of the railcraft stuff set up early. In this case I am talking about the coke oven and the blast furnace. The coke oven let's you turn your coal into coal coke which is 4 times as effective, and also produces creosote oil which is required to make any rails now. It just requires brick and sand but is a multiblock structure so you have to put it together yourself. http://railcraft.wikispaces.com/Coke Oven (Device)

The Blast Furnace is pretty expensive to make though (doesn't it require lots of nether fortress material?), so I would recommend only making the coke oven in early game.

ItharianEngineering

Jul 29, 2019
Yea, but with IC2 you really just need the netherrak because you can compress 3 of it into 1 netherbrick. Expensive but useful if you don't want to find a nether fortress. Probably the issue is the magma cream. Since I am playing with a pack that includes all the mods in 1.4.5 I have ThaumCraft and can just go to a desert and get the blaze powder from the flowers there. Magma cubes in the nether are pretty much the only other choice, aside from hunting blaze, which I will add... if you want blaze powder from the rods: Macerate them, you get 5 powder instead of 2.

Sara Dr In te House

Jul 29, 2019
Slimeballs can be made with Factorization. Place a mild bucket and cactus green dye in a crystalyzer that is touching a furnace heater block. Then all you have to do is wait 20 min for 2 slimeballs. Not fast but it is rather easy.

zwahlm14

Jul 29, 2019
what you should really try to do is get a steve's cart tree cutter cart going on about a stack of rail. It isn't too expensive and you will be really glad you made it because it produces a LOT of wood. Also, all you need to put in it is 4 internal chests and a small coal engine and obviously the wood cutter attachment.

zemerick

Jul 29, 2019
Slimeballs can be made with Factorization. Place a mild bucket and cactus green dye in a crystalyzer that is touching a furnace heater block. Then all you have to do is wait 20 min for 2 slimeballs. Not fast but it is rather easy.

You can add the dye to more slots to get more slimeballs each time it finishes.

ItharianEngineering

Jul 29, 2019
Really if you are using the magic pack I think you should just add factorization. A lot of it seems more magical than most of the other mods in the pack with it's wrathlamps and routers, and those are the parts that most people note it for aside from it's ore processing... and barrels. Because Barrels.

EternalDensity

Jul 29, 2019
Really if you are using the magic pack I think you should just add factorization. A lot of it seems more magical than most of the other mods in the pack with it's wrathlamps and routers, and those are the parts that most people note it for aside from it's ore processing... and barrels. Because Barrels.
I really want to add Factorization for barrels to my Magic World, though I'm a little worried about it messing up ore generation or causing ID problems if its ever added officially. Plus I don't really want to have to update it manually, as avoiding all that process is why I'm using FTB in the first place.

As for slimeballs, okaayha, I suggest you find yourself a swamp biome (or make an all-swamp world with mystcraft).

okaayha

Jul 29, 2019
i know but no swamp biomes near and no swamp symbols yet so i did it the old fashioned way and dug out a slime chunk
the i realized i was next to a red mountains biome and those things have crazy caves so no slime spawns for me :)

EternalDensity

Jul 29, 2019
^I might be mistaken, but from 1.4.5 onwards, don't slimes spawn in swamp biomes? Just explore swamps at night.
Yes, that's why I suggested it. Though I think it's it any 1.4.x version.

I haven't experienced red mountains yet, so I don't know what effect they would have on slime spawning.

okaayha

Jul 29, 2019
the fact that there are crazy amounts of caves has a bad influence on hostile mob spawning since they have more places to spawn at it's not the red mountains themself

EternalDensity

Jul 29, 2019
Ah, so with all the caves it's already spawned so many mobs elsewhere that it doesn't spawn slimes. I guess you'll have to find a better located slime chunk :( Or else explore some more random ages to learn the swamp symbol. (If you're low on feathers or leather, an age of just meadows is a good source.)