just how much performance does modded minecraft require?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

elkillo

Jul 29, 2019
heres the deal i have a nvidia 550ti 1g DDR3 GPU, 8gigs of 1600 hrtz ram, and a 3.1 i-5 E2400 quadcore processor plus a 7200RPM 1.5 terabyte harddrive and windows 7 ultimate. and im still getting 24 frames in my base. just how much do some of these mods take to run?

PS: im using the direwolf 20 pack(v5) , and have most settings maxed

MrRobbie

Jul 29, 2019
I am not sure but there are little adjustments you can do..my son uses the families Dell Inspiron one nothing special he gets around 30 with Optifine but without it around 12 fps. All we do is set java priority to high and lowering the ram usage down to 1gb form 2 helped more then I thought it would. On mine I had to make sure Java was using my GPU (It wasn't) under graphics setting I had to set to and helped a lot.

Sphinx2k

Jul 29, 2019
I cant Answer it. It depends on what you build.
I have a big tech basement...it kills the fps totaly. Well with mit big gaming rig it runs finde, but everyone els is crying when entering.

I think the RP2 tubes even if covered are a big drop in framerate. If i switch to low graphic settings i can see that the covers have a different lightning on them and think they let light through sometimes. Over all it is the lightning engine of the vanilla minecraft that is big involved.

elkillo

Jul 29, 2019
how do i find out if its using my GPU is it in the control panel or is it somewhere else?

Sphinx2k

Jul 29, 2019
how do i find out if its using my GPU is it in the control panel or is it somewhere else?

Name your Launcher Minecraft.exe
A Friend of mine hat this problem with his laptop (hase two graphic cards one power saving for 2d and a 3d one). Starting the game normal with the minecraft.exe worked perfect. Starting with MultiMc did not work till we renamed multimc.exe to minecraft.exe.
Then the graphics drivers used the 3d card.

elkillo

Jul 29, 2019
im using the FTB launcher so couldn't i just add FTB to my GPU using nvidia control panel?

jnads

Jul 29, 2019
There's a lot of snake oil around here, but two options that DID help my performance (add under FTB Launcher > Options > Additional Java Parameters):

-XX:UseSSE=3 -XX:+AggressiveOpts

I put these on my client and server on my 6-core AMD 1055T OC'ed @ 3.2Ghz, and it cut my CPU usage (Task Manager) from 60% to 25-30% (when I have BOTH the server AND client running). I'm running MindCrack.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Interesting. Considering I currently have to run a server and a client on the same 6.5 years old Core 2 Duo, those options might help me a lot. I'm currently cruising between 95% to 100% on both cores, every little bit of breathing room will help a ton :p Thankfully SSE3 is supported despite the CPU's age.

What exactly does "aggressive optimizations" do, though? There usually is a reason why these things aren't enabled by default...

Reactions: MrRobbie

jnads

Jul 29, 2019
Interesting. Considering I currently have to run a server and a client on the same 6.5 years old Core 2 Duo, those options might help me a lot. I'm currently cruising between 95% to 100% on both cores, every little bit of breathing room will help a ton :p Thankfully SSE3 is supported despite the CPU's age.

What exactly does "aggressive optimizations" do, though? There usually is a reason why these things aren't enabled by default...
I don't know, all I know is it helped.

I haven't had any crashes.... technically. I did have a java crash once, but I was running the SMP server alongside a Creative single-player server (was testing a machine out in creative before putting it on the SMP server). Dunno the source of the crash.... all I know is it really hard crashed stuff (java stack trace and all). So it's gotta be doing something. It's probably similar to -O3 in most gcc setups (i.e. insane performance but YMMV with compiler bugs).

But with just the MindCrack Client + MindCrack Server running, I haven't had any issues.

I do have some other options on MindCrack Server. I suspect most of them are snake oil. Except for one that creates a multi-threaded instance for the Java garbage collector. It does cause crazy memory use though, but I have 16GB ram.

Despite people's insistence that "java will use the best options".... NO... it will use the safest options. The above does help and is reasonably safe. I'd watch out though, with a lot of the other "recommendations" floating around.

MrRobbie

Jul 29, 2019
I hope you are not saying that my suggestions are snake oil..laughs mine are the safest ones posted and I do know why they work..lol. If you go to Java's website they have suggestions for better performance. Like that you need both 32-bit java and 64 bit installed..it reduces lag apparently not sure why but going to Java for answers is better the telling someone what fixed your lag problems but don't know why???

EternalDensity

Jul 29, 2019
I don't see how lowering ram usage from 2GB to 1GB would help, as when I accidentally had FTB set to 1GB it would spit out 'out of memory' errors every time it attempted to play a sound.
As for having 32bit java installed, I had to forcibly uninstall it from my system as it kept using it instead of 64 bit no matter how many times I told it to use that.

Jay Cee

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah I had issues previously, you can add the .exe into the nvidia control panel to ensure it uses the gpu and I've had an increase with dropping my RAM to 1gb (this is due to minecraft filling up the RAM before it wipes it and starts again - higher RAM means longer time between 'restarts' as such and puts more of a strain on your computer)

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
I'm running client and server both on 1 GB memory (my computer has a total of 6). I've never experienced an out of memory error with FTB.

When I was still running an older version of Minecraft, though, I used to have a 64x texture pack installed, and boy that killed the RAM in a hurry. Even 2 GB wasn't enough to stop the errors, and that was with less than half as many mods as FTB has. So, for users who are running texture packs - a huge performance boost can be gained simply by turning that off.

Also, one thing I learned while running server and client together: installing Optifine allowed me to limit my framerate to 30 FPS instead of vanilla Minecraft's minimum of 40. This freed up enough CPU cycles for the server to stop stuttering, while it had only a very minor effect on the look and feel of the client (since I was getting slowdowns to begin with anyway).

Finally, when you are playing on a server, ask the admin what kind of view distance he specified in his server.properties file. Setting your own client's view distance to higher than that number will not show you additional landscape, but it will still cost a little bit additional performance and memory because it still increases the skybox; it's just filled with air. The default value for server is 9, which corresponds to a client view distance of "Normal +16", one tick more than Normal; the maximum possible for servers is 15, which corresponds to "Normal +112" in the client (in other words, one tick less than Far). Obviously, without Optifine you don't have that kind of fine control and should probably stay on "Normal" if you have performance issues. Chances are the server is on default view distance anyway.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Quick update: using -XX:UseSSE=3 -XX:+AggressiveOpts in both client and server reduced my average CPU load from 95% to 85%. Minor improvement, but still an improvement ;)

jnads

Jul 29, 2019
Quick update: using -XX:UseSSE=3 -XX:+AggressiveOpts in both client and server reduced my average CPU load from 95% to 85%. Minor improvement, but still an improvement ;)
The other options for Server was:

Code:
-Xincgc -XX:ParallelGCThreads=2

These two are huge (for lag). Spawns separate threads for Garbgage Collection (old chunks), and does garbage collection in increments rather than large swaths (introduces lag).

A lot of them are described here:
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/hotspotfaq-138619.html#general_options
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/tech/vmoptions-jsp-140102.html

Technically, the options I got were a separate thread on, but I'm just posting the ones that (I think) helped the most.....

This has been mentioned in the past:
Code:
java -server -Xincgc -Xmx2048M -Xms1024M -Xmn512M -XX:NewRatio=2 -XX:CMSFullGCsBeforeCompaction=1 -XX:SoftRefLRUPolicyMSPerMB=2048 -XX:+CMSParallelRemarkEnabled -XX:+UseParNewGC -XX:+UseAdaptiveSizePolicy -XX:+DisableExplicitGC -Xnoclassgc -oss4M -ss4M -XX:+UseFastAccessorMethods -XX:CMSInitiatingOccupancyFraction=90 -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:UseSSE=4 -XX:+UseCMSCompactAtFullCollection -XX:ParallelGCThreads=4 -XX:+AggressiveOpts -cp "FTB-Beta-A.jar" -jar "FTB-Beta-A.jar

My server_start.bat file uses some portion of that (where I get the 50% CPU load decrease).

whythisname

Jul 29, 2019
I've just installed Optifine and I think I've got a new "must have mod".

Without Optifine and in "windowed" mode I had literally 10-15 FPS in my "machine chunk" (which are a few Peat bogs, a Boiler, redstone conduits and a host of Forestry and TE machines).
I turned on "Fullscreen" which gave me ~2-5 FPS, so I can recommend doing that.
After installing Optifine I gained the most though, I now have 40-50 FPS in that chunk.

So yeah, if you haven't tried Optifine yet I can only recommend that you do. It does add some visual glitches (primarily the Xycraft glowing stuff seems to suffer), but I'm more than willing to put up with that if I get 20-30 FPS for it.

jnads

Jul 29, 2019
I've just installed Optifine and I think I've got a new "must have mod".

Without Optifine and in "windowed" mode I had literally 10-15 FPS in my "machine chunk" (which are a few Peat bogs, a Boiler, redstone conduits and a host of Forestry and TE machines).
I turned on "Fullscreen" which gave me ~2-5 FPS, so I can recommend doing that.
After installing Optifine I gained the most though, I now have 40-50 FPS in that chunk.

So yeah, if you haven't tried Optifine yet I can only recommend that you do. It does add some visual glitches (primarily the Xycraft glowing stuff seems to suffer), but I'm more than willing to put up with that if I get 20-30 FPS for it.
Yeah, Optifine definitely helps. It lets your graphics card flex more of its muscle.

It will probably become deprecated a bit once MC 1.5 hits, as they're overhauling the rendering engine for MOAR SPEED.

Also turning ON "Advanced OpenGL" helps. Despite the name, Advanced OpenGL adds Z Occlusion, which means the game can skip rendering the back sides of hills.