Java Optimizations to help FTB Ultimate run better?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Taji34

Jul 29, 2019
Hey, so I run FTB Ultimate on the following computer:

Graphics: Intel HD Graphics
Processor: Intel Pentium CPU B970, 2.30 GHz
RAM: 4 GB
Java Version: Java 7 Update 21

Now I know this computer is not at all suited to run minecraft, but it's the only computer I have to play minecraft with my brother, and I was wondering how much I could get out of it. Here are the extra java parameters I have FTB run:
Code:
-XX:ParallelGCThreads=2 -XX:UseSSE=4 -XX:+AggressiveOpts -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:+UseParNewGC
What are some more java parameters can I use to help optimize java?

I also installed Optifine and have everything turned all the way down graphics wise, is there anything else I can do? If there is anymore information you need just ask.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
To be really honest its your RAM that is most likely your bottle neck for preformance. Win7 takes a fair chunck of the 4 GB just to run windows not leaving you much wiggle room. You can Optimize java until you turn blue but it looks like you got all the big tags already in use other then the memory ones and those will not help you until you have more memory really.

ex13

Jul 29, 2019
Funny, I'd say the RAM is fine but anything else is too slow: I have 4 GB of RAM as well, and run FTB with max settings in 1920x1200 at >100 FPS. Even if Windows 7 takes half the RAM, 2GB is still plenty. Without changes to the launcher, the java heap size is 1024 MB (which I've never reached so far), with everything else that java allocates thats still less than 2 GB.

However, the integrated Intel Graphics by OP is just plain slow, definitely causes some graphics lag. Also, the CPU seems kinda slow, and CPU power is usually the main limitation for minecraft. The options seem fine, but I would additionally increase the permsize to 128 MB: -XX:MaxPermSize=128m - if this does not help, I'm afraid there is not much the OP can do.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
If its the graphic card Optifine might help. My original system had worse CPU then that it was an old duo with i believe 1.8Mhz and it ran fine. But I did have a better Graphic card and the same memory. I used MinMem to clear memory out while running MC and ran with Optifine setting most of my stuff to lower settings and normal render distance. I would get about 30-40 FPS fairly steady.

ex13

Jul 29, 2019
Afaik Optifine pushes work from the CPU to the graphics card, so it should increase the performance if the CPU is slow and the graphics card is a bit faster (which is not the case here). I'm not really sure though, and it's definitely always worth the try to test Optifine.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
In this case your GPU is hurting your performance. It's an Intel integrated graphics, which are quite okay with DirectX, but universally bad with OpenGL. And guess what Minecraft uses to render? Yep, OpenGL... I wager that running Optifine will not help in your case very much.

(And unfortunately it is in fact the smallest, slowest possible Intel iGPU in the series, and that series will be two generations outdated come next week.)