Is there still a hope for redpower2?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
Status
Not open for further replies.

DriftinFool

Jul 29, 2019
You should look into Project Red. It is basically RP2. Even the recipes are the same for most things. The world gen, logic, tools, and red wire are all in the newest FTB packs. They don't have the machine component in the pack, but it says it is available when you 1st log in.

xbony2

WikiWorker
Wiki Staff
FTB Mod Dev
Jul 3, 2013
America
ftb.gamepedia.com
Surely if actual redpower makes a comeback it will be rp3 :)
Well, she has at least partly ported RP to 1.5 according to twitter, and I'd guess she might of worked on 1.6 a little bit, so I don't know if recoding it entirely would be needed.

Say, speaking of RP, last update was EXACTLY a year ago! Let's celebrate!

jatie1

Jul 29, 2019
I really don't like PR because every texture that was re-textured looks ugly as hell. The ores, the red alloy ingots, the everything is crafted stupidly and looks bad.

Yosomith

Jul 29, 2019
I personally think we have a higher chance of seeing a Xycraft release by Christmas this year (tomorrow for me) then we do of seeing a RP release before minecraft 2.0. And I think that's being generous.

Reactions: Sarda

ThatOneSlowking

Jul 29, 2019
I personally think we have a higher chance of seeing a Xycraft release by Christmas this year (tomorrow for me) then we do of seeing a RP release before minecraft 2.0. And I think that's being generous.
Just had to say it
And isnt xycraft planned to be released for 1.6?

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
Is there ROOM for redpower anymore? I think that's a more interesting question. Several mods have replicated huge hunks of RP's functionality directly. Other mods have taken new spins on other parts. From tubes to logic, crops, early weapons, and unique blocks, every aspect of the mod has been replaced and covered by others. The desire for the functionality of Red Power is truly a testament to how great a mod it was. The desire to have such great tools was motivation for many devs and we benefit as players.

Ultimately I don't think there's any room for Redpower anymore. Even Direwolf20 has a RP clone mod in his pack. The lack of updates & communication has forced the community to move on without this beloved mod. It's the nature of this mod game and we have to accept that people will simply disappear. What's important is that we had fun with Redpower when it was current. We now benefit from many devs releasing current content that is heavily influenced by Eloraam and her mod. I'd at least like to think that the tribute to her efforts is the duplication and/or refinement of her work by so many other devs.

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
I don't get this attitude. Equivalent Exchange was crucial to the original FTB map concept, yet when that got abandoned (sure, it was replaced with a mod that had the same name but 1% of the same functionality), no-one says the same thing about never trusting any future EE version. No mod pack has ever been world-compatible across MC versions, so what does it matter that a mod skips a few versions? XyCraft skipped 1.5 and might be seriously late to the 1.6 party, IC2 is effectively gone and replaced with a very different mod, as is TE, why all the hate for RP2? Only, as far as I can tell, because it was so well-loved. Personally, I would squee like a jaded cat if RP2 or RP3 appeared even if it takes until Summer 2015 for Minecraft 1.9.9.

twisto51

Jul 29, 2019
I've learned to do 99% of what I did with RP2 with other mods. There are so many other mods doing item transport now that I only really miss a couple features of the sorting machine. Between AE and TE about the only thing I'd use RP2 item transport/sorting for would be putting exactly what I want into a Factorization mixer.

Lots of frames replacements, though the only one I find in most packs---MFFS---hasn't been as reliable for me as RP2 frames. It has probably gotten numerous updates since I used it for a frame bore, maybe most of that has been fixed.

I miss blulectric solars and engines. Not a lot of power but it just looks neat. Being able to see the gear I had to put into the recipe for the engine actually part of the model and animated is very cool.

jokermatt999

Jul 29, 2019

This is the best post I've seen on RedPower, and it makes some very good points. RedPower was a fantastic mod, and its influence will echo throughout the mod community even if it never gets another version. It's ok to move on at this point, after a year of no updates and (almost entirely) radio silence. It did some great things and introduced some great ideas that other mods have implemented, and Eloraam herself has said it's ok for mods to reimplement features.

Reactions: RedBoss

Uristqwerty

Jul 29, 2019
In my opinion, one of the things that made RP2 so great was the overall design of it. The various components fit together well, and there was clearly a lot of thought put into each addition.

If a new version ever comes out with even a single new machine, I think that most people will return to RP2...

Reactions: immibis

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
The difference being XyCraft is actively being worked on.
The thing I really miss that I have yet to see other mods copy... cool ass windmills like RP2 had. :/
Install Mekanism, play Mekanism, thank me later. It's an amazing mod.
If a new version ever comes out with even a single new machine, I think that most people will return to RP2...
I won't. If I can't trust the author to continue updating it, why would I use it? I'm personally not going to use RP if it ever gets updated (it won't).

Reactions: Zexks and zorn

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
The thing I really miss that I have yet to see other mods copy... cool ass windmills like RP2 had. :/
I was thinking the exact same thing. I never used them outside of powering my allow furnaces and sorting machines but man were they cool.

Zexks

Jul 29, 2019
.00001% chance of hope.

Even if it did come back I know I'm not going back to it. Never really liked the tube system, having to build minor mostly useless power systems for 2 or 3 blocks only. Never liked forth, did like the concept behind the computer system though, CPU, memory, IO buses, etc. Was never a fan of the power system, either you use the thermal block or set up a ton of solars wired into batteries, and then you never used them again. The alloy wire, sickle, flax, and logic gates were all I ever used it for. With her dev "style" being so closed door, I'd rather keep with an open mod with lots of authors that has fast turn around and a higher chance of surviving MC updates.

Yosomith

Jul 29, 2019
I don't get this attitude. Equivalent Exchange was crucial to the original FTB map concept, yet when that got abandoned (sure, it was replaced with a mod that had the same name but 1% of the same functionality), no-one says the same thing about never trusting any future EE version. No mod pack has ever been world-compatible across MC versions, so what does it matter that a mod skips a few versions? XyCraft skipped 1.5 and might be seriously late to the 1.6 party, IC2 is effectively gone and replaced with a very different mod, as is TE, why all the hate for RP2? Only, as far as I can tell, because it was so well-loved. Personally, I would squee like a jaded cat if RP2 or RP3 appeared even if it takes until Summer 2015 for Minecraft 1.9.9.

I didn't say what I said over hate, I really like RP, it's just I hold hold very little hope it will ever get updated. I also was disappointed when EE2 development was stopped, but I wait patiently for EE3 to be of more use. I dislike how the Xycraft development is working, simply because as it was, the mod had some pretty good usability with a couple of machines (by the end of 1.4.7) and it became popular. Now all you can see about the mod is various teaser pics that Soaryn posts as he continually delays release in favour of new features. New features are nice and all but I'd be just as happy with what 1.4.7 offered if I could play it in 1.6.4.

I suppose in regards to RP, I'd hold more hope for it's future (As RP3 or RP4 or whatever, the name doesn't matter to me) if Eloraam was actually posting something.

Status
Not open for further replies.