Is there a known "safe" ID range to add mods to packs?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

CheshireKatt

Jul 29, 2019
I haven't seen it anywhere on the forums in my (admittedly, somewhat limited) searching, but was wondering if there's been any post or announcement about any ID ranges that the FTB team is setting aside for use by people like me that are adding mods to one of the existing packs without fear of them being used by a later mod added to the pack (or, say, if I want to switch to the Ultimate pack when it is released)?

I've got a handful of mods I want to add to, currently, the MindCrack pack, but am somewhat concerned that I don't know what ranges are planned to be used for the Ultimate pack and if possible I don't want to collide with them and have to rework the conflicts when it does come out.

Any thoughts on this, or links to the post I missed if there was one?

Exedra

Jul 29, 2019
Over 9000 maybe. 100000 just to be safe. Just go ino mind crack, go to the last thing and check its ID. Then change the new ones accordingly.

afa7336

Jul 29, 2019
I haven't seen it anywhere on the forums in my (admittedly, somewhat limited) searching, but was wondering if there's been any post or announcement about any ID ranges that the FTB team is setting aside for use by people like me that are adding mods to one of the existing packs without fear of them being used by a later mod added to the pack (or, say, if I want to switch to the Ultimate pack when it is released)?

I've got a handful of mods I want to add to, currently, the MindCrack pack, but am somewhat concerned that I don't know what ranges are planned to be used for the Ultimate pack and if possible I don't want to collide with them and have to rework the conflicts when it does come out.

Any thoughts on this, or links to the post I missed if there was one?

The Block ID range from exactly 2510 to 3999 is free for you to add mods to.

Over 9000 maybe. 100000 just to be safe. Just go ino mind crack, go to the last thing and check its ID. Then change the new ones accordingly.

Thats Item IDs not Block IDs (Which will cause crashes trying to add blocks to that range.

afa7336

Jul 29, 2019
I did a Block ID Dump via NEI for that. As far as Item IDs I can check in a few (Limited connection at the moment)

Edit: Okay dumped Item IDs as well, your safe range should be between 27977 and 29255.

Dumping via NEI is as official as it gets because it reads all the ids inside that instance of minecraft (Up to and including Vanilla IDs.)

MilConDoin

Jul 29, 2019
NEI dumps are nice and all, but they won't help the question, if certain ID spots are reserved for future mods.
Thus the question for an official source of the quality "We won't (probably ever) use the following ID ranges for ourselves. Feel free to use them for user added mods." would be nice.

Reactions: TheLoneWolfling

CheshireKatt

Jul 29, 2019
NEI dumps are nice and all, but they won't help the question, if certain ID spots are reserved for future mods.
Thus the question for an official source of the quality "We won't (probably ever) use the following ID ranges for ourselves. Feel free to use them for user added mods." would be nice.
That's exactly what I'm looking for, yeah. A block of current-and-future modpack planned free sub-4096 IDs and another block of planned free post-4096 IDs for items. The fallback case for me is of course "dump NEI and cross my fingers", but if possible I'd like to avoid that.