Is Rotarycraft really useful in Monster?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

IL_Giudice

Jul 29, 2019
Hi, i'm starting a new game with FTB Monster, and i'm wondering if Rotarycraft is really useful or not.
I mean, i usually build everything i need with Minefactory Reloaded, TE, BC, IC2, AE, and Rotarycraft seems a very big mod but i don't really know if there are any uniquen machines that i really need for playing.

So, what are the peculiarity of the mod? Is there any machine that does something that other mods doesn't?

Cheers!

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
Well the extractor can do ore pentupling (5 ingots out of a single ore). So that's useful.

The boring machine can mine horizontally forever.

Bedrock tools are very strong and have powerful effects (looting 6 on the sword as I remember)

There is a lot more then this but those are a few hilights.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
RoC can really dominate any pack, including Monster. The only drawback is that the pack's version is a bit out of date: Reika has released several versions since then.

It basically has "better than everything else" versions of many blocks and tools. This includes but isn't limited to ore-multiplying, mining, farming, mob-spawning, and lots of other things. The bedrock tools in particular are just totally bonkers compared to anything else (you can massacre a forest in minutes with a bedrock axe)

In terms of peculiarities, it has an unusual power transmission mechanic: rotation. When you run a RoC machine, it may require a certain speed (rads/s), torque (nm), and/or power (speed*torque) in order to function properly, and more speed and/or more torque will usually make that machine work much faster/better. The in-game manual can be helpful in getting your feet wet with this or you can just ask questions of this community.

IL_Giudice

Jul 29, 2019
Well the extractor can do ore pentupling (5 ingots out of a single ore). So that's useful.

The boring machine can mine horizontally forever.

Bedrock tools are very strong and have powerful effects (looting 6 on the sword as I remember)

There is a lot more then this but those are a few hilights.

Thanks guys, this is what i was looking for!

ScorpioOld

Jul 29, 2019
So, what are the peculiarity of the mod? Is there any machine that does something that other mods doesn't?

RoC is industrial scale mode. Easy to build machines, but it requires some thinking and planning to run those machines. Also some of them require maintenance. When you can generate enough power (big reactors or nether star generators are just dwarfs with respect what you can reach in RoC) you can scale performance of each machine virtually to infinity. Instantaneous ore pentupling and smelting. Spawners that can generate thousands mobs. Harvesters that can handle Magical crops. Boring machine (Quarry) can simply sink you with resources, you need many many Ender chests to provide constant stream of ores. All you can reach, but those are end game toys. You can store insane amount of energy, but such batteries might require 1000 diamonds to build:)

Spend some time in creative to be familiar with mod. Consider to add Electricraft and Reactorcraft atop of RoC. This is an example of Reika's imagination scale.

zemerick

Jul 29, 2019
A heads up: The extractor does not do a set 5 times ore multiplication. It has 4 stages, each with a certain chance to double ores. So, if you stick 1 iron ore in there, you can get very unlucky and get 1 iron out. Or, you can get very lucky and get 16.

Also, the average ores you get vary based off of the ore. 5 is only the starting amount with the majority of ores. "Rare" ores have an increased rate, as do nether ores. Rare nether ores ( For example, nether platinum ) actually have an average of 13x.

Next, for things like Redstone which drop more than 1 item per block naturally, you will get more than 1 out when you smelt them. Redstone is 4 for example. This means half a stack of nether redstone gives you something like 18 stacks of redstone dust.

There's also a "grinder" that is ore tripling ( every time ), that you get access to a fair bit earlier.

You should be aware though: Rotarycraft and its addons eat through HSLA steel ( a special steel for RoC. )

It is a very good idea to update the version in Monster to 25z ( The last 1.6.4 version.) It should be pretty much drag and drop.

RoC working perfectly with magical crops can not be stressed enough BTW. It's great at it, and very useful. ( A fan directly powered by a single steam engine can run more than 16 farm blocks. )

Some tips:

To power a machine, start with its required "power". This will tell you which engines, and how many, you will need. ( RoC stuff is almost always each machine powered individually, unless you get into electricraft later on. ) Once you have the power, look at the torque your engines are putting out, and the torque needed by the machine, and divide/multiply to get the torques to match up exactly. This gets the speed to the highest possible, which is usually the fastest. ( Note: Friction Heater, and a few other items, should actually have torque and speed as even as possible. ) If the torque is not mentioned, it means there isn't a minimum torque. For example, if it says 32,768W and 128r/s ( speed, radians per seconds)...you can still run it at 32,768r/s and 1NM (torque).

Take your time, and do the math! It's all simple addition, multiplication and division ( using perfect squares )...and getting it wrong will make things at best not run very well. At worst, you'll blow up your brand new 16x diamond gearbox, which just ate like half a stack of diamonds.

It's tempting to make a ton of the same machine to speed things up in the mid-game for that machine. Don't. While it will run faster now, if you had spent those resources on other things ( especially better engines ), you could hit the tipping point. Pretty much all RoC machines have a speed at which they go from about 1 second per action, to 0.05 seconds. This means you would need 20 extractors with enough power to run at 1 second each to match it...meaning it's 10 times as efficient to just super-power it. ( FYI: With simple switching, the extractor reaches this at 16MW. )

Don't get frustrated with how "difficult" the mod is. It's like LEGO. It's a few simple things, that can combine together in many ways. It's actually still pretty simple.

Don't try to skip stuff when you are first learning it. The progression is designed a lot like the tutorial levels of a video game. They introduce you to 1 new mechanic at each stage, and teach you the basics, leaving you to master it. If you start trying to skip stuff in RoC, you can end up missing something while it's simple, and trying to do it when it's much more complicated ( as it's expected you know what you're doing by that point. ) It's actually pretty hard to skip though, as it's built with a fairly linear progression.

Get a rotarycraft handbook, and read it! Also, read from the wikis when you don't understand something. ( Be aware though, you are on a very old build. Lots of things have changed. For example, Magnetostatics do not require liquid nitrogen. )

Leave that magnetite in the ground! At least until you get silk touch. You need insane amounts of it for the fusion reactor ( tens of thousands ), so you want to run every single piece possible through the extractor.

Reactions: Gamefury64

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
It is a great mod but something players skip due to the amount of work and thinking one needs to put into it.

I would say it is like GregTech without all those vanilla altering configs.

And I prefer it over GT.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
It has some interesting surveying equipment, the ground penetrating radar and cave mapping system are a few things I haven't seen in other mods.
The ground penetrating radar will give you a slice of what the ground underneath it looks like. The cave finder will give you a somewhat 3d representation of the pockets of air in the terrain.
Rotary craft actually has a lot of interesting tools that people seem to glean over, people really only ever see ore quintupling and unbreakable tools neglecting the rest.
Rotary craft even has a programmable note block, it's kind of out of place but I have no idea why those more musical players have over looked it.
RoC indeed has a lot of goodies both practical and frivolous but as people can't or wont get their heads around how energy works, no one ever bothers to investigate.

Reactions: Reika and PierceSG

zilvarwolf

Jul 29, 2019
I didn't have problems with the energy early on (or at least, I didn't think I did), I had a lot of problems with power transfer. I destroyed half a dozen (expensive) gearboxes trying to grind up enough canola seeds into oil to be able to make a diamond gearbox that wouldn't fall apart.

TBH, I don't remember what I did, so I can't say what I did WRONG, but I do know that I ran into early frustrations trying to figure out what was expected. I also ran into a few frustrations trying to find good information online. Seems like there were signficant enough changes (at that time) between versions that what information was easily available was out of date, and I'm fairly sure that contributed to my issues.

More toys than a 5 year old's toybox, though. Gotta agree with that.

zilvarwolf

Jul 29, 2019
Playing under the assumption you need diamond gears (which I have no idea where you got that from) to run a grinder is one thing.
That wasn't the assumption.

I was trying, if I recall correctly, to use 4 engines to generate the necessary power and my gearboxes kept failing too quickly to be useful. I ended up making every stage of gearbox that I had access to (stone through diamond) at least once each in order to run the thing long enough to finally get enough juice to lubricate a diamond gearbox so that it wouldn't break down.

I seem to recall that I could not discern the correct single engine to use to accomplish the task, where all of the parts of the engine were within the tech level that I had unlocked. I finally got a working setup, but not without a cost that I knew had to be excessive.

@ScorpioOld. Thanks. If I'm ever playing on a server with RoC included again, I'll be sure to dig up this thread. :) Anything was better than fumbling around, wasting stacks of things that I know were never intended to be wasted.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
That wasn't the assumption.

I was trying, if I recall correctly, to use 4 engines to generate the necessary power and my gearboxes kept failing too quickly to be useful. I ended up making every stage of gearbox that I had access to (stone through diamond) at least once each in order to run the thing long enough to finally get enough juice to lubricate a diamond gearbox so that it wouldn't break down.

I seem to recall that I could not discern the correct single engine to use to accomplish the task, where all of the parts of the engine were within the tech level that I had unlocked. I finally got a working setup, but not without a cost that I knew had to be excessive.
The correct answer to your problem, by the sound of it, was the worm gear.

zilvarwolf

Jul 29, 2019
The correct answer to your problem, by the sound of it, was the worm gear.
Telling the story is helping me remember some of the particulars, I think.

I had 3 shaft junctions (I think) tying into a single (something that I think was a lot of gear boxes that kept falling apart). That (something) should have been a worm gear? The writeup of the worm gear says it loses power due to inefficiency, and I probably did not consider that (assuming I saw it) because the 4 engines I had were only just enough power to actually run the grinder. Once my gearboxes started losing efficiency, the grinder would stop working entirely.

Again, I'm quite positive that what I was doing was dead wrong, but at the time I wasn't able to find the right answer to deal with it. I needed canola oil to proceed, and I needed something I couldn't get to produce canola oil. My answer ended up being 'brute force, and thank goodness for magical crops'.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
because the 4 engines I had were only just enough power to actually run the grinder.
No engine in RotaryCraft produces too little power to run a grinder but also powerful enough that four of them can without gearing (the DC engine meets this power requirement, but they require a significant step up in torque (8x) to do so). This, combined with the fact that the worm gear loses speed, not torque, and is a 16x gear, meaning that even if you did lose torque, it would still work, makes me think you understand the power system less than you realize.

One steam engine and one worm gear run it, albeit slowly.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
Telling the story is helping me remember some of the particulars, I think.

I had 3 shaft junctions (I think) tying into a single (something that I think was a lot of gear boxes that kept falling apart). That (something) should have been a worm gear? The writeup of the worm gear says it loses power due to inefficiency, and I probably did not consider that (assuming I saw it) because the 4 engines I had were only just enough power to actually run the grinder. Once my gearboxes started losing efficiency, the grinder would stop working entirely.

Again, I'm quite positive that what I was doing was dead wrong, but at the time I wasn't able to find the right answer to deal with it. I needed canola oil to proceed, and I needed something I couldn't get to produce canola oil. My answer ended up being 'brute force, and thank goodness for magical crops'.

You need to be bit more specific, asking whether or not you should have used a worm gear depends on the engines used. If you where using steam engines all you would need is 4 of them junctioned together to meet the torque requirements and no gearing other then the shaft junctions and bevel gears.

That being said, I did find it odd that before you can use wooden gears properly you must first construct a worm gear from HSLA steel.

Vaeliorin

Jul 29, 2019
Presumably he's saying that you need a worm gear to power a grinder to get lubricant for wooden gears (though I thought I saw somewhere that they use heat sinks now instead of lubricant...it's possible I imagined that though, I've never used wooden gears.) Personally, I always just do a steam engine and 8x stone gear, let it get trashed, then replace it with a 4x stone gear that I get lubricant in before I face it to engage with the engine. It's not like stone is a rare commodity on anything other than a skyblock, and I've found that the steam engine running the grinder can keep a pretty decent number of gearboxes lubricated.

Reactions: Azzanine