Is Optifine compatible with the Direwolf20 1.5 v1.1.3?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

jskh1999

Jul 29, 2019
I know a lot of the time Optifine isn't compatible with FTB modpacks but I was just wondering if the Direwolf20 1.5 v1.1.3 pack was compatible with Optifine 1.5 in general. I'm pretty sure there's a lot of posts concerning this but I personally couldn't find any. :/

Vauthil

Jul 29, 2019
I've seen reports of some truly bizarre stuff in the 1.5.2 packs when Optifine is added. This goes from trivial render foofs to ladders no longer working.

The other thing to consider is that Modular PowerSuits basically runs with a disclaimer saying "never use this with Optifine". That's at least one mod that isn't going to have a good day with it.

As always, attempt at your own risk.

Succubism

Jul 29, 2019
From what I understand in regards to MPS and Optifine is that the two authors don't exactly have the best relationship.

You'll more than likely see this if you use Optifine with MPS.
4aY4r

You shouldn't really need Optifine, regardless. High res texture packs work great with 1.5.2 packs without it.
Is there anything about Optifine you'd really miss?

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019
Dynamic chunk loading. That's the only thing I really still use optifine for. I also don't use MPS, so not a big deal for me.

Also, the ladder bug shouldn't happen with U-D5. So if you use optifine so you can use shaders, your pretty much out of luck on that bug.

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019
That I know of, yes. You don't really need it for smp though, as your still going to be limited by the capabilities and settings of the server.

jskh1999

Jul 29, 2019
thanks for the feedback everyone :D I personally run a ok computer but I couldn't allocate more than 1 gb of ram to ftb so I was wondering if I could get optifine working for it :) thanks

Succubism

Jul 29, 2019
Ah, yeah that'd be an issue.
I've allocated 4GB to mine. (Probably too much, but it works okay for me)

lavarthan

Jul 29, 2019
thanks for the feedback everyone :D I personally run a ok computer but I couldn't allocate more than 1 gb of ram to ftb so I was wondering if I could get optifine working for it :) thanks
Optifine will not help with this. You need to have the 64bit version of Java to allocate more than 1GB to FTB.

Get the 64bit version of Java from this install guide.

Reactions: PeggleFrank

Enigmius1

Jul 29, 2019
You can get Optifine and MPS to work together by disabling the custom render settings in the MPS config. I've got OptiFine/shaders/MPS working in a custom 1.5.2 world without issue. I know it's not DW20, but at least I can confirm that MPS won't be the mod that holds you back if it doesn't work.

Darth Sith

Jul 29, 2019
Optifine decreases lag and freezing
From what I understand in regards to MPS and Optifine is that the two authors don't exactly have the best relationship.

You'll more than likely see this if you use Optifine with MPS.
4aY4r

You shouldn't really need Optifine, regardless. High res texture packs work great with 1.5.2 packs without it.
Is there anything about Optifine you'd really miss?

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
For me, I need Optifine to also provide CTM and random textures. Makes things much more varied/"natural".

Succubism

Jul 29, 2019
Optifine decreases lag and freezing

Yes I know, however later versions of minecraft are working to optimize framerate as standard.
While more powerful computers may not notice a difference, I'm at about the middle where yeah I kind of notice but it's not game breaking.

jskh1999

Jul 29, 2019
Optifine will not help with this. You need to have the 64bit version of Java to allocate more than 1GB to FTB.

Get the 64bit version of Java from this install guide.

Well I have a 64 bit computer but I didn't notice I didn't have 64 bit Java o_O whoops. Thanks for the heads up