Is my PC Strong enough?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Bigcheater36127

Jul 29, 2019
I recently ordered a new desktop and was curious if my new computer would be strong enough to run FTB on relatively high specs. The specs for my new computer are:
  • i5-6500 3.2 GHz (Quad Core)
  • 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 2133Mhz
  • Geforce GTX 1060 6GB
  • 256 SSD
  • Liquid Cooling

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
Yeah, just don't make a rookie mistake and allocate too much ram and you will be fine...

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Oh sure, no problem. Your core is a little on the weak side (remember that Minecraft isn't multi-threaded, so it's only able to take advantage of a single core), but everything else more than makes up for it.

Start off by allocating 3-4 GB RAM to the instance and adjust from there. Use F3 to tell if it is actually using that memory or not.

Also, liquid cooling? Why? Seems like you could easily keep up with that setup with air cooling alone.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
If you're playing SSP, you may be able to enhance performance by running a server on your machine. Technically, MC runs a server during SSP, but it tries to run it all on one thread. Running your own server can allow the server to run on one core and the client on another. This helps a lot if your processor is on the weaker side (and doesn't hurt higher end PCs either).

AliasXNeo

Jul 29, 2019
If you're playing SSP, you may be able to enhance performance by running a server on your machine. Technically, MC runs a server during SSP, but it tries to run it all on one thread. Running your own server can allow the server to run on one core and the client on another. This helps a lot if your processor is on the weaker side (and doesn't hurt higher end PCs either).

You mean my i7 could've been doing so much more all this time? Wish I would of knew that tidbit :p

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
You mean my i7 could've been doing so much more all this time? Wish I would of knew that tidbit :p
I just recently started doing this with my Myan potato-puter. I had trouble running 1.10 at all before, and now I'm running a decent sized custom pack with far less chug than I saw in 1.7. It's not the answer for everyone, but its an option.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
How do I run a local server? A simple link is sufficient if you have it, but I've never been able to work it out on my own.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
How do I run a local server? A simple link is sufficient if you have it, but I've never been able to work it out on my own.
I had a friend walk me through it, as I had never set a server up before, but it was pretty simple. I downloaded the 1.10.2 server files from the Legacy Launcher, then copied my modlist into the mods.folder (I also copied the configs I had altered in my SSP). I even copied my world over to the server folder and managed to use my existing game when I launched the server. The "hardest" part was configuring the server properties, but even that is self explanatory for most things once you start looking at the options.

I know this is amazingly vague, but as I said, I had a buddy walk me through it step by step. I'm certain a decent tutorial exists, but I'm definitely not qualified to have it come from me. Sorry that I can't be more helpful.

Edit:. Don't forget to change the agreement line in the EULA file to true, else your server won't boot.