is FTB Normal map for 1.2.5 a good way to learn FTB and its mods?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Nycozi

Jul 29, 2019
So in the future i plan on a FTB lets play but I want to play the map through first is it a good way to learn with the bonus of survival that high up?

blek

Jul 29, 2019
You'll learn about many core mods of FTB, but considering the current pack, that's not the optimal way to learn. The FTB 1.2.5 map depends a lot on EE2, which is not in the new pack nor will it ever be, seeing as it won't be updated, being replaced by EE3, which for what I know is really different and more balanced. Also, the new pack contains a lot of mods that have been released/gained popularity recently, and therefore are not present in the old pack, such as Thermal Expansion, Factorization, Gregtech among many others.

That being said, I still recommend it, it's a very fun map and it does have a lot of mods in common with the new pack that are essential for understanding the synergy between all mods (IndustrialCraft, Forestry, Buildcraft, Redpower).

Nycozi

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks for quick reply and very good response ill do the map then should be fun :)

zemerick

Jul 29, 2019
I would not suggest the FTB map as a starting point. It is built expecting you to have a significant knowledge of how everything works. It'd probably get the job done, but you could expect to hit a number of complete stopping points as you wonder how you are supposed to get something. NTM the whole part of the entire thing being based around EE2 which isn't in FTB modpack.

Quick Note about EE2: It says it will be updated after EE3 is finished. This is of course very up to change as it will be quite awhile before EE3 is finished, but it's not entirely abandoned either. ( Honestly I'd expect an add-on to bring in the stuff from EE2 to EE3 first. )

For learning, I would just recommend running through on survival. As you go, make a point to try out the different stuff. Don't worry about building a cool house, etc. Just once you've built 1 machine, open NEI and look for something else to build. Look up how it works, and play around with it.

Nycozi

Jul 29, 2019
Well i do want to play through it via survival but with out RP2 ready i don't want to start as it really is a major part of the whole pack

MadDoctor5813

Jul 29, 2019
A good idea would be to watch some youtube let's plays or something as they are usually experienced people who will inspire you to create better builds yourself. For fear of being banned for advertising, let's just say the channel I recommend rhymes with pirewolf20.

zemerick

Jul 29, 2019
Well i do want to play through it via survival but with out RP2 ready i don't want to start as it really is a major part of the whole pack

Unfortunately it could still be quite awhile before we see RP in FTB. I would not recommend waiting for that.

There's still so vastly much you can learn without RP. Then, when it finally arrives, you can figure out where it goes in with what you already do. That's really where Red Power shines, is just taking something existing and making it better.

Nycozi

Jul 29, 2019
I don't think you'd get banned for saying Direwolf20 Im already massive fan of his, Its how i found out about FTB :D