Installing FTB on Minecraft Launcher?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

rseitz

Jul 29, 2019
Does anyone know how convert the modpack files the FTB launcher downloads into a form the normal Minecraft launcher can recognize and run? I know how to do it with the Technic Launcher modpacks, but I can't quite figure out how to do it with FTB.

By the way, the reason I want to do this in the first place is because I get dramatically improved FPS when it's running on the Minecraft launcher instead of the Technic and (I'm hoping) FTB launchers - like 2 to 3 times more.

xBTx

Jul 29, 2019
Open your vanilla /bin/minecraft.jar and drag the contents of the forge.zip into it, then run minecraft from the vanilla launcher once and it should create the configs, coremods and mods folders. Delete those and replace them with your ftb folders of the same name from whichever pack you wish. And you can drag your saves over too. Just make sure your vanilla minecraft is the same version.

rseitz

Jul 29, 2019
Open your vanilla /bin/minecraft.jar and drag the contents of the forge.zip into it, then run minecraft from the vanilla launcher once and it should create the configs, coremods and mods folders. Delete those and replace them with your ftb folders of the same name from whichever pack you wish. And you can drag your saves over too. Just make sure your vanilla minecraft is the same version.

Thank you! Just for anyone else who would want to do this, the forge.zip xBTx mentioned is actually MinecraftForge.zip in the instMods folder.

rseitz

Jul 29, 2019
erm..why bother?

For some unknown reason, running Minecraft on a custom launcher like the ones Technic and FTB use just destroy my FPS. For example, running normal, vanilla Minecraft from the Minecraft launcher gives me an average of 37 FPS with all the default settings. Running vanilla Minecraft on the Technic launcher causes it to run at around 14 FPS. No idea why, but it then sucks playing modpacks on those custom launchers because the mods themselves lower the framerate even more.
Or use multiMC, it and FTB install mods in practically the same way
I'll try it out, but if it and FTB are so similar I wouldn't expect it to boost my FPS much at all.