Industrial Steam Engine

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Kaffefilter

Jul 29, 2019
Hey guys.

So, We've been playing on our server for some time now, with FTB pack.
And I have been using train lava system, excaly like DW's system.
Been using Magmatic Engines to power my entire BC system, but it's become boring and I needed a new house to expand.
Now I've made HP Stream Boiler (2x2x2) and added 2 Industrial Steam Engines.
They freaking exploded!
Now for my actual question:
Do they need a cooldown timer not to explode? Or did I simply just mess something up?

Cheers,
Kaffe

Meldiron

Jul 29, 2019
As far as i know the industrial steam engines can't explode at all.
The boiler however will explode quite fiercely if it is hot, runs out of water, and then is given water again.
Im guessing the system providing your boiler water failed somehow, so what do you use to provide water to your boiler?

Kaffefilter

Jul 29, 2019
The boiler is running smoothly, it was the actual engines that exploded.
Using a Aquarious Accumulator to provide the water, better safe than sorry I guess.

I guess I was just unlucky.

Meldiron

Jul 29, 2019
Did you power wooden pipes/wooden conductive pipes or redstone conduit?
I believe i've seen somewhere that wooden pipes can explode if they don't have anywere to dump their power or something like that, never experienced it myself just saw someone write something like that on this forum.

Kaffefilter

Jul 29, 2019
yea, had them to pump into a wooden pipe, to gold, to an energy cell.
Made a new set of engines, same setup. Been running smoothly for about 15 min now. So, either a bug happened, or a creeper went assasin.

bigtwisty

Jul 29, 2019
Did you have the energy pipes set in such a way that there could have possibly been a loop? Energy loops in BC will always explode. Learned that the hard way a few weeks ago, not being that familiar with BC.

Squigie

Jul 29, 2019
Railcraft steam engines can explode if their internal MJ storage fills up, which will happen if they cannot expend their full output. If the energy cell filled up there may have been nowhere for the power to go. It's safer to turn off engines when they are not needed, though with how temperature relates to fuel efficiency the boiler should be kept at max temp constantly.

Evulperson

Jul 29, 2019
Hey guys, I don't have FTB pack, but i have many mods that are in it and some that aren't. (46 total)

I was not in creative mode while building this (for the record)

Anyway, to the point, I have a large 3x4x3 LP Steam Boiler running under my factory, with 12 (yes twelve) Industrial steam engines hooked directly up to it. HOWEVER, only half of them (6/12) run power constantly to my 2 (two) Oil Refineries. the other 6 engines are hooked up with a gate, that i can turn them on and off at will. Turning them ON will drain the single boiler pretty fast, then they start to stutter a bit, but they have yet to explode. The steam engines that run constantly are almost ALWAYS red and pumping VERY rapidly. again though, no explosions. lots of lag, but no booms.

I have 2 VERY large tanks for oil and fuel, so maybe it just hasn't happened yet, the refineries have yet to actually stop even once.

As a safety device, the 6 running constantly are powered by gates attached to the pipes, that will only activate the engines when power is requested, and the water source is directly below. I didn't have the accumulator when i built this, so its actually running off of JUST ONE pump powered by another gate that watches the water in the tank, which keeps it full.
2015-02-01_01.22.11.png

Gramling

Jul 29, 2019
As of 1.7 DW20 pack . did Cmode test, And tryed to fill a Industrial Steam Engine to max internal power and it never fills all the way. So i don't think they can fill them self's and blow up. But i am useing Fluxducts not Buildcraft pipes as discussed here. The BC pipes may fill with power and blow up them self's so i stopped using them after Duct's became a thing.