Ideal Server Mods for FTB mod pack?

ThinkSlow

Jul 29, 2019
Hey people!

Not sure if right thread for this so...

I will be using Direwolf20 pack.

Wanting to create a private/friend server - just wondering what is the recommendations for FTB Mod Packs for plugins? Like Backup, Permissions, Misc plugins (such as maps, town related plugins like MyTown), anti-griefing etc?

Cheers!

Puggy

Jul 29, 2019
Hey people!

Not sure if right thread for this so...

I will be using Direwolf20 pack.

Wanting to create a private/friend server - just wondering what is the recommendations for FTB Mod Packs for plugins? Like Backup, Permissions, Misc plugins (such as maps, town related plugins like MyTown), anti-griefing etc?

Cheers!

The most important part of your post is, the "Private/Friends" server. I would recommend (if you trust your friends) running no plugins. Most game servers will provide the ability to run backups from your console so that solves that, and if you're OP permissions will not be needed unless you plan on having others in charge of commands in your server; but once again if it's private, there should be no need for that.

I run a private whitelist only server and have no plugins running at all, and have had no problems administrating the group online.

ThinkSlow

Jul 29, 2019
Sorry for the late reply - I don't visit the forum that much :(

Thanks for that.

Any good world backup's though for servers? Just incase for thinks like resets, chunk errors etc.

DarkDestry

Jul 29, 2019
McMyAdmin have a very nice interface that allow for easy server restarts and backup. However it limits to 8 players for the free version. Since your server is a private server for friends, I assume it doesn't exceed 8 players?

Puggy

Jul 29, 2019
Another important thing to note, if you are using a shared game server, ie Beastnode and not a VPS most of their control panels allow setups for automated commands, messages and even backups. It i a good idea to have regular restarts every 3-6 hours to reduce lag from memory leaks IMHO. If you really want to get into plugins that allow teleporting and such look into BukkitForge and Essentials with a permissions plugin to start.

Protip: link these forums to your email for automatic updates, add the forum email to your contacts, and you will recieve updates whenever someone replies to your posts! Great for keeping on top of your threads!

Jul 29, 2019
I'm also running a small private server. I just run it on my desktop when we want to play together; it's not worth paying for a professional server host (yet).

• Backup: I'm using Simple Backup, it's easy to use and basic, and it does what I need.
  • Permissions: Shouldn't be necessary, but sometimes other plugins need it to work right. I just use Permissions Bukkit
  • Anti-Grief: Unnecessary for me, but perhaps someone can suggest what they use? I've used anti grief plugins before when I was admin on public servers, but they may not be the latest / greatest out today. I used Big Brother, Log Block, and World Guard primarily. I'm guessing the OP has a couple of close friends and possibly some of thier little brother / friend of friend / cousin / etc. who he doesn't totally trust?
  • I also highly recommend World Edit and Essentials [Bukkit.org link]. I assume you know what World Edit is and it needs no introduction. It has many uses so I always install it in my servers. Essentials adds a lot of nice functionality that you see in public servers (sethome, colored signs, tpa, colored chat, etc.) even with just the base part of the plugin. I ended up disabling a lot of what it adds with Permissions Bukkit so we didn't have free teleports, etc. for balance reasons, but overall I still think it's worth it to have.
  • I also have World Border. You can use it to limit the world size if you're worried about performance, although I don't use that (it's unnecessary even just running on my desktop). I installed it for the trim and pregen features (it lets you pre generate terrain).