I feel so retarded - FTB Launcher vs Normal Launcher question.

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

DeMordrey

Jul 29, 2019
Hello fellow minecrafter.

As the titel says I feel retarded. Like this:

The reason why is that I try to mod my single player for a while now with 1.6.4 mods and something always causes me to crash.

So lo and behold, along comes magic farm 2 with most of the awesome mods I always wanted to work together but never managed to combine. (like using pams harvestcraft and forestry together and instantly having polling textures mess up :/)
A true miracle I thought.

Now human curiosity however takes the better of me. I wonder "how can it be?" that mods who slapfought each other even with only forge installed before them would work in ftb and not my singleplayer? Did I do so wrong? AM I SUCH A DERP?!

Being human I take the folders out of the magic forest modpack putting them into a fresh installed forge updated mc version. I fire up mc and...huzzah! It works! Now to do the usual test
I open up the inventory... and crash.

So yes if someone ever wondered "what is the difference between the ftb and the normal minecraft launcher?" its stability above all means. I do not know how, I get all the same errors I did modding myself but the FTB launcher stays true to its name BEING A BEAST! mowing down its error opposition like a horde of charged creepers being unleashed from a piston retracting just above your head.

This however leaves me with one question...

Since FTB uses also forge what is the secret behind the ftb launcher that its so incredible more sturdy? Please help me feel less retarded.

Tristam Izumi

Jul 29, 2019
At a guess, it would probably be that the FTB launcher has JVM arguments set that assign more RAM and/or permgen to Minecraft. I know somewhere on the forums is a thread that talks about different JVM args and how they can help stabilize your Minecraft experience.

Zenthon_127

Jul 29, 2019
It's not the launcher itself that give the greatest benefit (although the Allocate RAM feature helps), but the FTB team solving all the ID conflicts and keeping everything updated.

tedyhere

Jul 29, 2019
Its the fact that I myself put in over 80 hours testing modpacks for the launcher, along with other testers putting in just as much if not more than me. Add in JadedCat and Eyamaz making packs, configuring ID's getting bugs squashed. There is countless hours put into each pack to get the mods selected, tweaked, id's configured, mod interaction balanced among a ton of other things.

So the difference is experience in modded pack making.

Reactions: Flipz

DeMordrey

Jul 29, 2019
Yes of course.

The thing however is that I did tend to make large spreadsheets really rewriting every single id per hand for every mod taking hours upon hours (specialy with mods like pams harvestcraft or railcraft) to make sure there are no id conflicts. I do not wanna belittle the effort of the all the testers saying this, but what I wanna say is that despite generating the exact same forge logfile with ftb that I get using the normal client with the same mods the normal client crashes while ftb works fine.

Right now the epic FTB launcher allowed me to add up to 118 mods into a singlepack and it runs smoothly (EVEN WITH SHADERS!), while the vanilla launcher gave in when you opened the inventory with 40 mods (no shaders).

Also I noticed that running FTB minecraft finally uses over more ram when assigned. Using the normal client it will crash but never consume more 1,5gbram even when more can be consumed.

I just really wanna point out what an awesome launcher was created through your work and hours of testing and I am truly delighted that you made it possible to customize the packs even further.

The words I could probably put it best in is that the normal launcher is internet explorer while ftb is firefox :=).

Thanks a lot by the way Tristam for your answer is the one that makes me feel less dumb. Going through the logfiles permgen was often a headache for me, I shall now try to find the thread and branch out my wisdom even more.

Last edited:

Zexks

Jul 29, 2019
I've got 175 or so mods running mostly fine in the vanilla launcher, including pams, galacticraft, rotary craft, mists of rioV and all the old goodies (TC, RC, BC, IC2, etc). Took about a month to iron everything out (and 4 or 5 new worlds every time I added something with world gen). I would like to sit down and go through every config of every mod and align all the id's nicely but with that many mods I'm looking at another month or so of work. Right now the only real problems I have are to many similar ore types spawning (like 6 different coppers and 3 or 4 tins) and some item ID conflicts (smelting some bodies copper in a furnace gives me a portal gun, torn to fix that one :p), and the fact that it takes almost a full 5 minutes to load past the mojang screen. Persistence was the key for me. It's really easy to just say screw it and go get someone elses pack, but it's so much more rewarding knowing you're playing a custom conglomeration.

Reactions: kaiomann

Tristam Izumi

Jul 29, 2019
Yes of course.

The thing however is that I did tend to make large spreadsheets really rewriting every single id per hand for every mod taking hours upon hours (specialy with mods like pams harvestcraft or railcraft) to make sure there are no id conflicts. I do not wanna belittle the effort of the all the testers saying this, but what I wanna say is that despite generating the exact same forge logfile with ftb that I get using the normal client with the same mods the normal client crashes while ftb works fine.

Right now the epic FTB launcher allowed me to add up to 118 mods into a singlepack and it runs smoothly (EVEN WITH SHADERS!), while the vanilla launcher gave in when you opened the inventory with 40 mods (no shaders).

Also I noticed that running FTB minecraft finally uses over more ram when assigned. Using the normal client it will crash but never consume more 1,5gbram even when more can be consumed.

I just really wanna point out what an awesome launcher was created through your work and hours of testing and I am truly delighted that you made it possible to customize the packs even further.

The words I could probably put it best in is that the normal launcher is internet explorer while ftb is firefox :=).

Thanks a lot by the way Tristam for your answer is the one that makes me feel less dumb. Going through the logfiles permgen was often a headache for me, I shall now try to find the thread and branch out my wisdom even more.
I'll reiterate again, have you played with the JVM arguments on the vanilla launcher at all? They've tweaked them a lot on the FTB launcher, which is probably why you're having such disparate experiences between the two launchers. This thread will give you some insight into the mater.

kaiomann

Jul 29, 2019
I've got 175 or so mods running mostly fine in the vanilla launcher, including pams, galacticraft, rotary craft, mists of rioV and all the old goodies (TC, RC, BC, IC2, etc). Took about a month to iron everything out (and 4 or 5 new worlds every time I added something with world gen). I would like to sit down and go through every config of every mod and align all the id's nicely but with that many mods I'm looking at another month or so of work. Right now the only real problems I have are to many similar ore types spawning (like 6 different coppers and 3 or 4 tins) and some item ID conflicts (smelting some bodies copper in a furnace gives me a portal gun, torn to fix that one :p), and the fact that it takes almost a full 5 minutes to load past the mojang screen. Persistence was the key for me. It's really easy to just say screw it and go get someone elses pack, but it's so much more rewarding knowing you're playing a custom conglomeration.
Wow. You are one patient guy. I would probably put 5 mods in an instance, get 10 id conflicts and already say "Screw it, come here pre-configured modpack"