How to get steel in Unhinged?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

SpitefulFox

Jul 29, 2019
I do, and it fits Greg's usual MO of trying to force players to use his machines for even the most basic vanilla tasks, but neither choice is an appealing one, you can either pray to the Random Number Gods to find a dungeon with either steel or fire charges in order to access the Nether or you can expend an obscene amount of resources (read almost 200 refined iron, over a hundred rubber, and a whole slew of other resources to construct the most basic industrial blast furnace possible) and supply it with a constant 128 EU power source due to its lack of internal power storage just to get access to flint and steel.

Kind of a moot point, though. Do you honestly plan on ever touching Unhinged? :p

Dee_Twenty

Jul 29, 2019
Kind of a moot point, though. Do you honestly plan on ever touching Unhinged? :p

Not even if it were the last modpack on the launcher, but the OP should be aware of exactly what they're getting into for both choices, though, seeing as "Oh you could just Greg's industrial blast furnace." doesn't convey how much work is involved in actually building one.

Reactions: SpitefulFox

SpitefulFox

Jul 29, 2019
Not even if it were the last modpack on the launcher, but the OP should be aware of exactly what they're getting into for both choices, though, seeing as "Oh you could just Greg's industrial blast furnace." doesn't convey how much work is involved in actually building one.

Most people playing Unhinged probably already know what they're getting into and chose to play it because that appeals to them. No point in trying to dissuade people from playing it or going on anti-Greg crusades.

Dee_Twenty

Jul 29, 2019
Most people playing Unhinged probably already know what they're getting into and chose to play it because that appeals to them. No point in trying to dissuade people from playing it or going on anti-Greg crusades.

Don't plan to, just stating the facts.

immibis

Jul 29, 2019
I do, and it fits Greg's usual MO of trying to force players to use his machines for even the most basic vanilla tasks, but neither choice is an appealing one, you can either pray to the Random Number Gods to find a dungeon with either steel or fire charges in order to access the Nether or you can expend an obscene amount of resources (read almost 200 refined iron, over a hundred rubber, and a whole slew of other resources to construct the most basic industrial blast furnace possible) and supply it with a constant 128 EU power source due to its lack of internal power storage just to get access to flint and steel.
Or you can get a bucket of lava and a block of wood. That's even Greg's recommended way of doing it.

ewsmith

Jul 29, 2019
Wait... People are upset for flint-and-steel requiring steel? I never have any problem getting steel or an IBF even. What's the problem?

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
you can either pray to the Random Number Gods to find a dungeon with either steel or fire charges in order to access the Nether or you can expend an obscene amount of resources

No you don't. You just need a bucket some lava, water, and some wood. And just like that you can get to the nether.

Use the lava and water to cast a portal frame using any random blocks to make your cast.
use the wood and some lava to light it and wait for the flame to spread to the portal.
???
Profit.

mushroom taco

Jul 29, 2019
You could install mekanism (and the other UE mods, they're pretty cool), and make steel that way.
Or do what i do, disable the ridiculously stupid recipes like that.

Also, greg has mentioned adding matches...

AlwaysGoofingOff

Jul 29, 2019
I didn't intend this thread to become yet another anti-GT rant. But I guess GT is polarizing - if any thread has GT in it, it will degenerate.

I know what I was getting into when I chose Unhinged. I was just confused and thought I might be missing something regarding steel. I was, and a few helpful members pointed out alternate ways to acquire steel and light nether portals. To those people - Thanks!

I honestly never understood the pro/anti GT sentiments, other than maybe server admins having to cater to disagreements between their player base. I only play SSP so I just play whatever I like. I have both an Unhinged and Unleashed (and Ultimate) worlds and play them as my mood fits.

mushroom taco

Jul 29, 2019
I didn't intend this thread to become yet another anti-GT rant. But I guess GT is polarizing - if any thread has GT in it, it will degenerate.

I know what I was getting into when I chose Unhinged. I was just confused and thought I might be missing something regarding steel. I was, and a few helpful members pointed out alternate ways to acquire steel and light nether portals. To those people - Thanks!

I honestly never understood the pro/anti GT sentiments, other than maybe server admins having to cater to disagreements between their player base. I only play SSP so I just play whatever I like. I have both an Unhinged and Unleashed (and Ultimate) worlds and play them as my mood fits.
I'm neither anti gregtech nor with him.
I play his mod on "easy noob mode", because some of his new recipes are ridiculous (actually needing steel for flint and steel BEFORE he adds matches, like he said he would).
I like his mod in a certain way, but i do not like the author. He hasn't shown himself to being very smart or the one to think things through (crashing the game when a certain mod is installed? really?). I see greg as a 12 year old who thinks of himself as a "hardcore gamer" because he likes long recipes.
And like i already stated, i like his mod, but not the mod maker.

Now, nobody reply to this, please.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
I actual liked GT. But what finely killed it for me was the whole planks and plates thing. Basically doubling the cost for vanilla stuff until you build the plate bender and saw mill which then just normalizes your costs. And the whole drama around that and the crashing peoples games. Yeah It has gone down its only special road of crazy.

It is good that it is in a pack built around it. In theory if you dislike that play style you can just use the other FTB pack. And I've always said GT would be best with a Pack built around it instead of a Pack that just happen to have it in it.

Kerazi

Jul 29, 2019
Actually the plates and planks thing gave me a reason to make and use more tools. In Ultimate, most tools hardly ever had a use. Maybe the diamond saw. But now, I have a manual grinder for doubling my ore output, an iron saw for planks, and a hammer for plates. Even your first iron pick is something to carefully consider (although if possible, make a quartz pick, it uses no tools or plates to make). As a result I have to pick my projects much more carefully. Same with power. I have both a generator for coal and a geothermal generator for when I bring back some lava from my mining. In Ultimate I always skipped geothermal and went straight to thermal.

The ramp up is so much slower, I get to appreciate the intermediate machines and tools so much more. I don't just take my first 3 diamonds, create a mining turtle, 'excavate 30' and then go design a sorting system for my turtle.

Reactions: AlwaysGoofingOff

sks0315

Jul 29, 2019
Actually the plates and planks thing gave me a reason to make and use more tools. In Ultimate, most tools hardly ever had a use. Maybe the diamond saw. But now, I have a manual grinder for doubling my ore output, an iron saw for planks, and a hammer for plates. Even your first iron pick is something to carefully consider (although if possible, make a quartz pick, it uses no tools or plates to make). As a result I have to pick my projects much more carefully. Same with power. I have both a generator for coal and a geothermal generator for when I bring back some lava from my mining. In Ultimate I always skipped geothermal and went straight to thermal.

The ramp up is so much slower, I get to appreciate the intermediate machines and tools so much more. I don't just take my first 3 diamonds, create a mining turtle, 'excavate 30' and then go design a sorting system for my turtle.

Don't tell greg about quartz tools! He will nerf then too. Keep them secret

Jess887cp

Jul 29, 2019
I think some ancient cultures didn't have fire, so saying that they did is a really broad generalization. Even then, there were cultures that never even used flint and steel techniques to get fire. One that comes to mind would be a culture who's only source of fire is lightning. Said tribe would have to fetch a flaming piece of wood from a tree struck by lightning, and maintain it in such a way that it would never go out for generations. In fact, that practice continued on well into the 1800s.

Flint and steel isn't the only option for fire, even in minecraft, is all that I really want to say. If you only have one fire charge and no way to get another, then be careful, just as those of old did.

The_Enemys

Jul 29, 2019
I actual liked GT. But what finely killed it for me was the whole planks and plates thing. Basically doubling the cost for vanilla stuff until you build the plate bender and saw mill which then just normalizes your costs. And the whole drama around that and the crashing peoples games. Yeah It has gone down its only special road of crazy.

It is good that it is in a pack built around it. In theory if you dislike that play style you can just use the other FTB pack. And I've always said GT would be best with a Pack built around it instead of a Pack that just happen to have it in it.

But Tinker's tools fit so well with the theme of complicating Minecraft!
/whine

With respect to the fire charge, unless its changed recently you can just right click on the floor of the portal, using it as a one shot flint and steel. I last used one in 1.4.7 when a creeper switched off my portal (it wondered through with a buddy, which I know about because the instant explosion on entering the nether dropped gunpowder, saving me from hunting ghasts).

Arbitrary

Jul 29, 2019
Put a dispence on the side and use it to fire it into the portal frame.

heres a crapy youtube video I googled up that will show you what I mean.

[DOUBLEPOST=1374981467][/DOUBLEPOST]for the record this sometimes fails in SMP. A better way is to put a block in front of the portal and the dispencer behind so that it fires at the block and goes off inside the frame. I usesly do this with two dispencers behind my portal one with fire charges and one with a water bucket and use a piston to raise the block the fire charges hit on. This makes my portal somethign I can turn on and off in my base. You know so pig men dont come bother me.

How do I get the google mod? Is it 1.5.2?