How many blocks per second does a quarry mine?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

The_Ianator

Jul 29, 2019
None of the wiki's that I have looked at tell me how many blocks per second a quarry mines at full power, I would like to know so I can calculate how many machines I need to meet the output as it is produced.

Specifically, right now I am trying to get more chrome ingots by centrifuging ruby dust gotten from redstone dust which has in turn been gotten from netherrack dust. I would like to know, If I have a 64x64 quarry in the nether running off of two combustion engines using fuel, how many rotary macerators I need to turn the netherrack into dust, how many centrifuges I need to process all the netherrack dust, and how many more I'll need to process redstone and then ruby dust. If I did my math correctly, which it is very possible I did not, I think I should get about 1.6 chrome per quarry layer.

Any insight into the numbers I seek would be greatly appreciated.

conagozn

Jul 29, 2019
On the wiki it says 5.2 at max speed, which is 32 mj/tick. That means it'll be a little over 10 min per layer.

Edit: It also needs 60MJ each time it breaks a block, so there you need 48 MJ/tick to run at max speed.

MavericK96

Jul 29, 2019
Faster than my Sorting Machine can keep up with...lol.

I typically run it with 4 magmatic engines...It'll take 6, but it's almost too fast.

The_Ianator

Jul 29, 2019
Guess I was looking at all the wrong wiki's, still thought it was 9mj/t for max speed. So I think If I wanted to keep up with a full speed quarry I would need 4 rotary macerators and 25 industrial centrifuges for just processing the netherrack dust. Good thing that recipe doesn't need empty cells in the centrifuge.

Dravarden

Jul 29, 2019
as I would say: slow and underpowered, just like everything else in the pack.

I hope greg never finds the thaumcraft wands or the new xycraft laser thing or the turtles, he will make them only obtainable with 8 nether stars and 456 diamonds.

Exedra

Jul 29, 2019
as I would say: slow and underpowered, just like everything else in the pack.

I hope greg never finds the thaumcraft wands or the new xycraft laser thing or the turtles, he will make them only obtainable with 8 nether stars and 456 diamonds.
Yes, because mining TEN BLOCKS PER SECOND is TOTALLY slow and underpowered.

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
After playing on a popular tekkit server for some time, the look on my face when 2 TE steam engines made the quarry as fast as a (power converters mod?)energy link was priceless :p

raiju

Jul 29, 2019

I heard greg mention he is planning on some thaumcraft changes soon, but remember the mining laser doesn't need any nether stars and if you have RP2 in, not really any need for diamonds either. The most difficult bit is the titanium really.

ItharianEngineering

Jul 29, 2019
I heard greg mention he is planning on some thaumcraft changes soon, but remember the mining laser doesn't need any nether stars and if you have RP2 in, not really any need for diamonds either. The most difficult bit is the titanium really.
Actually his most recent updates added a way to generate EU from enchanted materials like thaumcraft shards and the nether star. He also added a way to generate EU from Aura Nodes themselves, but it can cause a great deal of damage to your aura nodes or backfire badly.

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019

Since the quarry is a Buildcraft thing, what does Greg have to do with it?

raiju

Jul 29, 2019
Actually his most recent updates added a way to generate EU from enchanted materials like thaumcraft shards and the nether star. He also added a way to generate EU from Aura Nodes themselves, but it can cause a great deal of damage to your aura nodes or backfire badly.

Nice to know :) I haven't looked since friday I think... god damn he puts out so many updates!

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
well he changed the quarry/pulverizer recipes...

Seriously?

Ah. Just found it on the changelog. That's just really fucking annoying. Now you have to build all kinds of IC2 crap just to be able to build a BC quarry that's already expensive enough.

Oh well, even more reason to not include it in the Ultimate pack.

Dravarden

Jul 29, 2019
Seriously?

Ah. Just found it on the changelog. That's just really fucking annoying. Now you have to build all kinds of IC2 crap just to be able to build a BC quarry that's already expensive enough.

Oh well, even more reason to not include it in the Ultimate pack.

I think slow said that it will be included but disabled

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, that's what I meant basically. Totally fine with that. Most servers will use the default pack anyway (most server owners don't really seem to want to dive into the config settings) and since I tend not to use IC2 at all I really don't want to play on a server where I'm required to dive into IC2 stuff just to get a basic BC machine that's already expensive enough.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
I remember building my first ever quarry. Almost all my diamonds I had managed to find, used up in one block. But in time, it pays for itself quite easily, and I had 5 quarries running eventually.

I can see why they were made more expensive, but that just adds a big gap between mining manually and mining automatically.

WayofTime

Jul 29, 2019
I remember building my first ever quarry. Almost all my diamonds I had managed to find, used up in one block. But in time, it pays for itself quite easily, and I had 5 quarries running eventually.

I can see why they were made more expensive, but that just adds a big gap between mining manually and mining automatically.
That said, with a few fortune picks when added to a good EXP farm, you can easily double or triple your manual diamond output. I've started to use them for most ores, now!