How do you feel about AE2?

Deftscythe

Jul 29, 2019
Not to derail, but where can you see your network's power usage in AE2? I thought it was in the terminals somewhere but I can't find it.

Deftscythe

Jul 29, 2019
Negative. I was pretty sure I had tried that before but to be sure I just spammed r-click on it. As far as I can tell it doesn't even have a GUI. Same with the new controllers. Do I need some kind of reader tool?

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
Ive played AE2 for the last few months thinking that the energy readouts were a feature not yet added. Didn't even think to try the network tool.

Deftscythe

Jul 29, 2019
I would have to put that under drawbacks to the update, personally, now that I know about it. I hate niche tools like that and just inventory clutter in general.

Vasa

Jul 29, 2019
im okay with new ae2, but those meteors kind of doesnt belong to the mod because ae is mainly hi-tech mod and meteors just doesnt feel right. also i dont like in world crafting and crystal growing, because when someone say seed first i can think of is garden, pumpkin and agriculture. instead of in world seed growing i would add incubator block for easier automation and such. other than that im fine with ae2. ;D

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
I'd actually have fewer problems with a crystal growth system that allowed you to put your seeds into a jar full of water. Less risk of them despawning, and easier automation. You could even make it a better alternative to just kinda...tossing it into a pool of what amounts to groundwater. Maybe give it a small decrease in growth time required before acceleration's taken into account.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
I am pretty sure that the crystals don't despawn.
I really don't trust Minecraft to not screw shit up, especially when it comes to things that "shouldn't (or can't) happen." I've had several instances of things that "ought not happen" happened and at the worst possible time...dunno if it was lag or what, but I've learned to be wary, doubly so when it comes to shit lying around on the ground.

I eagerly await the day when someone ports AE1 to 1.7+. Wonder how much of a task that'd be...

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Those Pneumaticraft gate thingies. Those would work, right?
The "simple" solution would be to use XU item node with a world upgrade module and a filter. That will then suck up anything sitting in that block that matches the filter. Then you just have to trust that the seeds don't despawn as advertised :p

Another idea that's more complicated, and would look cooler, would be the PneumaticCraft drones. Have one hovering nearby set to pick up the crystals.

Reactions: Vasa

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
The "simple" solution would be to use XU item node with a world upgrade module and a filter. That will then suck up anything sitting in that block that matches the filter. Then you just have to trust that the seeds don't despawn as advertised :p

Just like this :)

Bagman817

Jul 29, 2019
I'm glad to hear there may be a way to disable the meteors. World gen is a bad idea until proven useful.

My take is pretty much that people who spend many, many hours a week playing MC said AE1 did everything, and did it too early, and now what are they going to spend their time on? For the vast majority of players, I submit that AE1 was already mid-game (at best), but that's neither here nor there. Algo (this is all in my head, you understand) responded by adding some really nifty things to AE2, and then trolled us with silly meteors (because Aliens), and derpy world crafting mechanics.

TLDR: AE2 has been 'fixed', much like you'd 'fix' a dog.

Reactions: RedBoss

mcalpha

Jul 29, 2019
World gen is a bad idea until proven useful.

How so? It seems to me that (in moderation) it adds more incentive to explore, and variety to a world that is for the most part repetitive. Anyway, most of the meteors I've found using the compass were underground and quite small, so no issue with destroying landscapes.

BTW, a tip on digging up these underground ones: although the compass only identifies meteor chunks, they often span multiple chunks or even a 4-chunk intersection. That means you can dig down at the chunk intersection and are guaranteed to hit skystone.[DOUBLEPOST=1409742202][/DOUBLEPOST]
I would have to put that under drawbacks to the update, personally, now that I know about it. I hate niche tools like that and just inventory clutter in general.
I agree. The multiblock controller has no GUI yet, right? Right-clicking it could show the same info as the network tool.

What I'm also missing is an overview of devices missing a channel. With the smart and dense cables it's pretty easy to figure out how many channels are used (and I'm sure WAILA will get some updates to show even more info), but when I add a device to an already-full line and its route is shorter than an existing one, it's kinda hard to find the device that shut down instead.