How come there's no bloody autocorrect for browsers?

Chrissy

Jul 29, 2019
I do the thing where i screw up spacing a lot ( ont he )
Or some other stupid thing that the autocorrect of a word processor always picks up for me,
No such plugin exists for web browsers, Even though a spell check exists, Why?

Chrissy

Jul 29, 2019
Chrome does it for me without a plugin :D

Chrome refuses to autocureect fer mey

I dont means pel chek, A h mean autoocorrect
as in i don't have to do anything, The ballsed up sentence above shoulda' fixed itself as i was typing it

Lawbroken

Jul 29, 2019
It wont do it for you but it should put a line under the words that are misspelt.

If it doesn't do that even you may have it disabled.

Dreigon

Jul 29, 2019
Or, learn to type? Not to be harsh but I hate autocorrect on my phone as it is almost always making errors. Just relax, slow down a bit , and type it correctly. Also helpful, read what you typed before you hit enter. Autocorrect and other contrivances are what is making today's society appear illiterate. I swear it seems 90 percent of the posts I read online are so poorly written I can't even discern the meaning. I don't want to appear to be flaming you personally, just venting frustration on people in general relying on far from perfect software, when the solution is a simple re-read.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
From what I've seen- autocorrect has a habit of picking the wrong words, and as you're relying on it instead of proof-reading it can make things a lot harder to read. The human mind can easily skip past a spelling mistake or mistype but random words really bananna people off.

But yeah- use chrome, its fairly good at highlighting your spelling/grammar.
Anyone know how to change it from american-english to proper english?

Lawbroken

Jul 29, 2019
From what I've seen- autocorrect has a habit of picking the wrong words, and as you're relying on it instead of proof-reading it can make things a lot harder to read. The human mind can easily skip past a spelling mistake or mistype but random words really bananna people off.

chrome://settings/languages

That will take you to the change for you to change it.
Changed from to English(Australian) :p

Jinbobo

Jul 29, 2019

Actually, proofreading is less important when editing the wiki. The staff or I personally check over each edit to make sure it "flows" with the rest of the article and doesn't cause confusion. Spelling mistakes, however, are harder to spot on the review screen especially when large chucks of text are changed.

Beleriond01

Jul 29, 2019
IMHO, the best way of proof reading, especially where spelling errors and consistency errors are concerned, remains to print the document in double line spacing and read the hard copy with a pen in hand to mark the mistakes...

Munaus

Jul 29, 2019
There is a Typing Readable Online Language Lifesaver that comes with every forum. It will always help you pointing out your spelling mistakes by discreetly and anonymously highlighting your problems.

Jinbobo

Jul 29, 2019
I don't trust Chrome's autocorrect.
Especially when it suggests a correction for "Homosapian" is "Homophobia".

It's because it's spelled "Homo sapiens" and is two words. The heuristics used by autocorrect doesn't usually look that far for suggestions.

Beleriond01

Jul 29, 2019
@jinbobo: as a language trainer that is indeed my biggest objection to spell/grammar checks: they are mostly incapable of translating the gist of a sentence, let alone an entire text, because they cannot "read between the lines".

As humans we know (mostly) the literal meanings of words but also the metaphoric meanings (though perhaps not all of course). As such, we are able to read sentences/texts and determine which meaning is most appropriate for said context. Especially when translating, the literal meaning is sometimes needed yet at times a metaphor works better...depending on circumstances ;)

In short...people should first learn to use language adequately and appropriately before resorting to auto-whateveryounamethem.

Bel*.

Skirty_007

Jul 29, 2019
I can thoroughly recommend Mavis Beacon's typing tutor software, if it's still available. I used it a long time ago to learn to touch type, and I'm pretty fast and fairly accurate. If you can touch type well then autocorrect is not required. I'm with those that find it irritating, not helpful.

Succubism

Jul 29, 2019
It's because it's spelled "Homo sapiens" and is two words. The heuristics used by autocorrect doesn't usually look that far for suggestions.

Chrome's Autocorrect is still crap regardless. There are multiple occasions I've gotten angry with it of which I can't think of at this precise moment.

Beleriond01

Jul 29, 2019
I can thoroughly recommend Mavis Beacon's typing tutor software, if it's still available. I used it a long time ago to learn to touch type, and I'm pretty fast and fairly accurate. If you can touch type well then autocorrect is not required. I'm with those that find it irritating, not helpful.

IMHO, even though touch typing itself is a valuable asset, it doesn't change the fact that you first of all need a proper command/understanding of the language you're using.

An example is the age-old discussion of whether it's your or you're. If you touch type but don't know which of the two you need to use then the fact that you're touch typing doesn't alter the mistake of using your when you should really be using you're...

Tzukasa

Jul 29, 2019
Because most people hate autocorrect and it causes more typos than it fixes? Also it takes all of 3 seconds to READ what you've typed before hitting Post.... I mean FFS, if you can't be bothered to proof read what you're writing, then honestly I can't be bothered to read it at all.