Help! How to get started with Steves Carts?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
In a creative test world, trying to work out how to use Steves Carts (and/or Railcraft). Never used either mod before.

So, I've got a logger cart, put a boarding track down in front of the cargo manager, told it to unload cargo into the manager, load into the carts engine, and load saplings into the sapling part of the cart.

Fuel up the cart, and it stops at the boarding track, and does nothing else. No interaction with the cargo manager at all. So obviously I'm missing something really simple :D

Idea then is that the cart will unload all it's cargo, then refuel itself with wood logs and saplings, and head off again.
All excess items then can be extracted from the cargo manager.
Or is there a better way with Railcraft Item loaders and unloaders?

Some screenshots
cart2.jpgcart1.jpg

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Yes, I downloaded that, and am using it as a testing world with creative+ mode and cheats enabled. Same difference.

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
with my treefarm, I used 2 cargo managers, as it tended to give the logs it had chopped back to the cart as fuel. so one manager stole all it's inventory (ALL of it) and the next gave it fuel... didn't bother with using a ton of sides

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
OK, so reading about the mod, I should have used an advanced detector rail, not a boarding track. But, I see the rail holds the cart until it receives a redstone signal. Does the cargo manager emit a signal at some point, if not, how would I go about making a signal once the cart is unloaded?

MrZwij

Jul 29, 2019
The cargo manager will release the cart once it's done with it, no redstone required. It can either send it back the way it came, or let it continue in the same direction.

Reactions: Lambert2191

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
The cargo manager will release the cart once it's done with it, no redstone required. It can either send it back the way it came, or let it continue in the same direction.
After posting, I went to my test world, and got it working. Plus, with 2 detector rails (5 blocks apart for signal time) to act as a basic timer with the cart passing over, I can force a filter to pull out anything left in the cargo manager after the cart has interacted with it.

Icarus White

Jul 29, 2019
There's something you should be aware of that caught me off guard several times:

The cart is very, very aggressive in how it cuts up leaves; if you leave some pneumatic tubing (for instance) too close to the trees, it'll cut that up, too. Best to rip up the dirt close to the manager, if you're planning on piping it.

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
There's something you should be aware of that caught me off guard several times:

The cart is very, very aggressive in how it cuts up leaves; if you leave some pneumatic tubing (for instance) too close to the trees, it'll cut that up, too. Best to rip up the dirt close to the manager, if you're planning on piping it.
I always thought that it's the leaves that grow over the pipes.

Icarus White

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm. That might be the case, actually. The end result is the same, though: if you're not careful, you could find your pipes cut off. I ended up just replacing the dirt near the manager with wood - nearly got a full barrel.

tedyhere

Jul 29, 2019
yeah the leaves break the pipes not the cart. Also look into using a distributor they are very useful.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
I'm building atop a redrock mountain, so I have to place the dirt, so have total control over the system.

A filter attached to the manager, with some detector tracks and redstone wire to pulse the filter to pull out the excess stock appears to work great for my needs. Just need to built it, decided last night to have an easy night with some interior decorating, no machine work.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
For those interested, here's my final design. Pain to build (steve's carts recipes are a bit arrgh! :D), but a simple design.

treefarm.jpg