Has Greg finally lost it for good?! GregTech gone mad

GameMakerWorld

Jul 29, 2019
Hi folks, today I wanted to build an iron tank in FTB Ultimate after a user tried to do it and failed. Alright, I thought, seems like this part of mods has been defiled by greg as well but in the past my server users had trouble removing GregTech recipes (the change wasn't there in their config and some of them couldnt be bothered to fiddle with it) so we have the full GregTech nightmare installed.

Now comes the insanity: To craft iron tank walls I need iron plates. To make iron plates I need a plate bending machine. To make a plate bending machine I need a conveyor module. To make a conveyor module I need aluminium plates. To make those aluminium plates I need.... YESSS!!! A FRICKIN PLATE BENDING MACHINE!!!

I think this time Greg has really shot his brains out through the rear end. Don't get me wrong - I really love all that "intergalactic" stuff with new technology, new chemicals and metals and all the wonderful toys. But why can't that guy stop messing up other mods that were working perfectly fine? It's the apogee of arrogance and shows imo very little regard for both the modmakers who probably spent more years making those mods than greg did making his own and the users who are left not only with terribly unmotivating crap but also broken messes.

Is there a solution out for this particular problem? I mean both the circular recipe bullturd and getting rid of Greg's recipes without users having to mess with configs on their side? And I am curious about other ppl's experiences and opinions on this.

EDIT: typos.

YellowMiner

Jul 29, 2019
The conveyor module can be made wit some refined iron ingots instead of plates. (but the rolling machine for plates was nice)

Sadistical_satan

Jul 29, 2019
Now comes the insanity: To craft iron tank walls I need iron plates. To make iron plates I need a plate bending machine. To make a plate bending machine I need a conveyor module. To make a conveyor module I need aluminium plates. To make those aluminium plates I need.... YESSS!!! A FRICKIN PLATE BENDING MACHINE!!!

And then you'll need some stick's but to get the stick's you'll need to punch the tree and then you'll need to grind the stick's into pulp and then place the pulp into a rolling machine to make paper (since Greg disabled crafting paper from sugarcane) and then you'll take that paper and combine it with string, resin and wool to make a band aid in which you'll need to stop the bleeding caused by punching the tree...

Aussiexenu

Jul 29, 2019
Hi folks, today I wanted to build an iron tank in FTB Ultimate after a user tried to do it and failed. Alright, I thought, seems like this part of mods has been defiled by greg as well but in the past my server users had trouble removing GregTech recipes (the change wasn't there in their config and some of them couldnt be bothered to fiddle with it) so we have the full GregTech nightmare installed.

I think this time Greg has really shot his brains out through the rear end. Don't get me wrong - I really love all that "intergalactic" stuff with new technology, new chemicals and metals and all the wonderful toys. But why can't that guy stop messing up other mods that were working perfectly fine? It's the apogee of arrogance and shows imo very little regard for both the modmakers who probably spent more years making those mods than greg did making his own and the users who are left not only with terribly unmotivating crap but also broken messes.

Is there a solution out for this particular problem? I mean both the circular recipe bullturd and getting rid of Greg's recipes without users having to mess with configs on their side? And I am curious about other ppl's experiences and opinions on this.

Problem lies between chair and keyboard, solution is... frowned upon by civilised society.

Other solution is easy, click the "next page" arrow in NEI and viola! You can use refined iron or aluminium INGOTS instead of bent plates.

MilConDoin

Jul 29, 2019

Maybe you use another version of RC and GT than I use, but in my current version I craft the iron plates for iron tanks by putting 4 iron bars (in a 2x2 pattern) into a rolling machine.

Whovian

Jul 29, 2019
GameMakerWorld said:

33517616.jpg

Yes, I'm pretty sure there are other ways to go about making the materials needed for an Iron Tank. :)

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
Other solution is easy, click the "next page" arrow in NEI and viola! You can use refined iron or aluminium INGOTS instead of bent plates.

He should have done that in the first place, when seaching for how to make steel plates. Then he would have found that the ages old, normal, Railcraft recipe for steel plates was still in place.

Of course, the GregTech way gives higher output for the resources....

GameMakerWorld

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks for your replies - I did find the other recipe eventually. Still hoping for packs without GregTech or with a GregTech that is set to leave other mods alone by default.

Xeonen

Jul 29, 2019
There is a very easy solution, before booting up your server, select GTech file from the modlist using Explorer and press SHIFT and DELETE at the same time, if neither modpack nor server has not booted before you will have no problems also SHIFT + DELETE is a sure way to delete files, deleting them forever.

ahwtx

Jul 29, 2019
ya know, this forum could use a whole lot LESS of the snarky replies that always plague threads like these. gregtech is a great mod, but it's not for everyone. you (and i mean that in the most general sense possible) don't need to be a dick to people who don't immediately jive with the complexity the oft revered/hated gregorius has envisioned.

DaemosDaen

Jul 29, 2019
He should have done that in the first place, when seaching for how to make steel plates. Then he would have found that the ages old, normal, Railcraft recipe for steel plates was still in place.

Of course, the GregTech way gives higher output for the resources....
How? GT gives you plates on a 1-1 scale 1 at a time, RC gives them to you on a 1-1 scale 4 at a time. If I need 4 plates, to make a tank wall, I think it would matter more as to which power system I have in place.. (imo MJ is easier than EU when you have GT installed.)

abculatter_2

Jul 29, 2019
ya know, this forum could use a whole lot LESS of the snarky replies that always plague threads like these. gregtech is a great mod, but it's not for everyone. you (and i mean that in the most general sense possible) don't need to be a dick to people who don't immediately jive with the complexity the oft revered/hated gregorius has envisioned.
The problem here wasn't that he hates Gregtech, the problem was that he didn't press the next page button in NEI, and immediately started hating on Greg because of it.

Reactions: Gun_Shy

GameMakerWorld

Jul 29, 2019
Well, I should not have replied to that thread again, bringing it back to the top but seeing how the conversation is going I guess I should add one more post:

It is true, I did not properly use NEI. Thanks for the help from those who helped, sorry to those who felt insulted. Now would be a good time to close or remove this thread. Thank you very much.

Reactions: ahwtx

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
How? GT gives you plates on a 1-1 scale 1 at a time, RC gives them to you on a 1-1 scale 4 at a time. If I need 4 plates, to make a tank wall, I think it would matter more as to which power system I have in place.. (imo MJ is easier than EU when you have GT installed.)
pretty sure you only get 3 plates for 4 iron

ahwtx

Jul 29, 2019
Well, I should not have replied to that thread again, bringing it back to the top but seeing how the conversation is going I guess I should add one more post:

It is true, I did not properly use NEI. Thanks for the help from those who helped, sorry to those who felt insulted. Now would be a good time to close or remove this thread. Thank you very much.
nice to see the OP being a class act. i could (and should) have been quite a bit more classy in my own reply.

Reactions: GameMakerWorld

Moezso

Jul 29, 2019

Don't feel bad, I didn't figure out that NEI button for quite a while myself. I was trying to make things in ultimate using only the first page of recipes for everything. I went crazy and finally figured it out when I tried to make some waterproof pipes and thought to myself "There HAS to be a way to this without bees.". Then I clicked that little button and saw the recipe with cactus instead of wax. Then I kicked myself for about an hour for being so dense, and proceeded to look up all the easier ways I could have done things. Live and learn. :cool:

Reactions: un worry

Velotican

Jul 29, 2019
To further illuminate the situation re: GregTech recipes:

Greg often makes several recipes for items. The first uses the most basic materials but works out as being more expensive eventually once you have access to the better materials. The other recipes will take advantage of access to superior materials to make the item cheaper to craft overall.

In other words, GregTech mimics real-world industrialisation.

If you ever run into a situation where a machine apparently needs itself to craft, there will always be an alternate, more clunky recipe with more basic materials.

Reactions: Whovian and Moezso

TekFan

Jul 29, 2019
The alternative recipe seems to be gone. Downloaded the ultimate pack on my laptop this weekend and can't craft the old recipe with ingots. Of course I'd be happy to be told otherwise with a how-to attached.

For now I just removed GregTech from my list of mods. In my opinion, the mod itself should rather be improved with massively expensive lategame-recipes, instead of messing with recipes of other mods.
GregTech has lost the appeal for me. Instead of bringing in features like fusion-reactors, reactor-planners or electric blast-furnaces, the mod has become about messing with other mods recipes.

It is funny though, how Greg kept the cheaper recipes for lapotronic and energy crystals all that time, despite making the IC2-recipes considerably easier. That had been a reason for its appeal for me at the start. I think just like it was for a lot of people.

Reactions: SilverStar