GregTech Steam Turbine

MrMindyMindMaxi

Jul 29, 2019
Is there anywhere any documentation on gregtech's steam turbine? I searched everywhere and couldn't find anything on it.
I'm very interested in using it but I want to know more about it before I do anything with it.

StaticPixel

Jul 29, 2019
GT steam turbine? I've heard of the ic2 one, but then again do t really play GT

Edit: it's actually from rail craft I'm pretty sure

MrMindyMindMaxi

Jul 29, 2019
Check BevoLJ on YouTube. He does a complete overview of the GT steam turbine

I saw his tutorial, but it actually didn't provide information, but perhaps any of you guys can.

I pretty much know everything on the turbine now, except one thing: does it require maintenance other than replacing rotors?

tobi1449

Jul 29, 2019
Afair yes it does need some maintance:
There are about 6 subcomponents that can randomly fail and then reduce the efficency of the turbine.
You need about 5 or so different tools to cover all of them and use them on the maintance latch (afair those are the same tools one needs to start/build that thing in the beginning).

Also I thought I read somewhere that the turbine might explode if the rotor breaks, do you know anything about that?

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
I saw his tutorial, but it actually didn't provide information, but perhaps any of you guys can.

I pretty much know everything on the turbine now, except one thing: does it require maintenance other than replacing rotors?
I would imagine that it would since it's GT. I don't know anything else since I don't use GT or IC2. GT items tend to have sparse documentation. I suppose you could ask for info on the IC2 forums, but don't expect an easy answer

Siro

Jul 29, 2019
There is actually ingame documentation on its construction, use, and maintenance. However, it seems like its maintenance can't be automated which is bizarre when considering that the fusion reactor can be.

tryple5soul

Jul 29, 2019
how can I use the railcraft boilers steam to power this monster? I cant figure out a way to transport that much steam

Democretes

Jul 29, 2019
And my friends this is why in-game manuals suck. Really, this stuff needs images.

No, this is why you need documentation. mDiyo provides great manuals in game. I don't think there's anything that isn't clearly explained. The Thaumonomicon, which is basically a manual with research, explains how everything works pretty dang well. Both have images to boot.

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
No, this is why you need documentation. mDiyo provides great manuals in game. I don't think there's anything that isn't clearly explained. The Thaumonomicon, which is basically a manual with research, explains how everything works pretty dang well. Both have images to boot.

Still not as good as having the same info available on a wiki. Those in-game manuals tend not to remember the page you opened them on, and you can use even a simple textsearch in them. It's fine if it's made available both in-game and on a wiki but I dislike the current trend of mod author providing only an in-game manual (or worse; a whole bunch). It's a fad that somehow 'hip' in MC-modding and now everyone is doing it.

Look at ae-mod.info, that's a good example of documentation done right.

Democretes

Jul 29, 2019
Still not as good as having the same info available on a wiki. Those in-game manuals tend not to remember the page you opened them on, and you can use even a simple textsearch in them. It's fine if it's made available both in-game and on a wiki but I dislike the current trend of mod author providing only an in-game manual (or worse; a whole bunch). It's a fad that somehow 'hip' in MC-modding and now everyone is doing it.

Look at ae-mod.info, that's a good example of documentation done right.

I agree with you there, AE has phenomenal documentation. I'm not sure if it could get any better. As far as a wiki goes, some people have dial-up, even in this day and age, and it's more of a pain to just "Google it" whenever they need to know something. Having an in-game manual on the other hand, gives you the ability to check it whether or not you have internet access. I'm not saying modders should abandon their wikis, because those are very helpful, but even if modders don't create wikis, someone else will. FTB is an example of this.

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
I agree with you there, AE has phenomenal documentation. I'm not sure if it could get any better. As far as a wiki goes, some people have dial-up, even in this day and age, and it's more of a pain to just "Google it" whenever they need to know something.

Not an argument, sorry. If you have the bandwidth to download the FTB launcher you most definately have the bandwith to simply make a website available offline. And I don't think catering to a very small minority is a good time-investment for a mod-maker anyway. Heck, people who don't have time to "google" are very probably playing vanilla minecraft anyway.

'm not saying modders should abandon their wikis, because those are very helpful, but even if modders don't create wikis, someone else will. FTB is an example of this.
Yeah, and those wiki's tend to be VERY outdated. Besides, the FTB wiki doesn't allow free editting which simply goes against what a wiki is anyway.
First and foremost the mod author is the best source of information. Most make their stuff available offline and also add an in-game manual. Only adding an in-game manual is bad IMHO. I'm not saying they should not be there, I'm saying it should be available both on the web and in-game.
And that descriptive text of setting up the boiler is just fucking terrible. It just reeks of the "we can't be arsed to write proper documentation" many bad software devs have.

retep998

NoLifeBunny
Wiki Staff
Dec 31, 2012
Worcester, Massachusetts
Yeah, and those wiki's tend to be VERY outdated. Besides, the FTB wiki doesn't allow free editting which simply goes against what a wiki is anyway.

The FTB wiki is free for anyone to edit, although I believe you have to register first, mainly due to the issues we've had with spam bots in the past.

loboca

Jul 29, 2019
Afair yes it does need some maintance:
There are about 6 subcomponents that can randomly fail and then reduce the efficency of the turbine.
You need about 5 or so different tools to cover all of them and use them on the maintance latch (afair those are the same tools one needs to start/build that thing in the beginning).

Also I thought I read somewhere that the turbine might explode if the rotor breaks, do you know anything about that?
It is literally days, IRL, before the rotor breaks. And yes, 6 different tools for maintenance. Just check it every few IRL days and perform necessary maintenance.