Casual Server Gonna set up a private ftb server. need players

• This section is now closed. Server owners can remake their threads in the new server section here. If you are looking for a server you can use both this section and the new section for the time being.

ImClintBeastWood

Jul 29, 2019
hey everybody im wanting to set up a small server for ftb. not sure which pack yet reply with suggestions. ill be hosting on my old computer with 4 gigs of ram and a 2.2 ghz cpu. not the best but should suffice for a few people. i also have very good internet. my skype is imclintbeastwood feel free to skype me. btw im 17 :p. i should be setting it up tonight if i get any replies.

krugle

Jul 29, 2019
Won't work well for most people joining you I'm afraid, latency would be a huge problem I.E block lag combine that with a slow processor and not a lot of ram it wouldn't be very fun. If you have some friends in your city/town it might be okay for awhile anyway. Not trying to be a downer just wanted to give a little advice.

ImClintBeastWood

Jul 29, 2019
ive seen an ftb server run on a 1.6 ghz cpu and 2 gigs of ram fine without lag with 3 players so i think im good, but thanks for trying to help

kaovalin

Jul 29, 2019
There is a section for advertising servers. Maybe you could join one instead of building one given your specs.

Bigglesworth

Jul 29, 2019
Won't work well for most people joining you I'm afraid, latency would be a huge problem I.E block lag combine that with a slow processor and not a lot of ram it wouldn't be very fun. If you have some friends in your city/town it might be okay for awhile anyway. Not trying to be a downer just wanted to give a little advice.

False, all of that is more than enough for a FTB server if its dedicated.

Source: Ive done this

kaovalin

Jul 29, 2019
False, all of that is more than enough for a FTB server if its dedicated.

Source: Ive done this

Really it depends on what the OP means by "old". Technically it depends on what kind of CPU it is. GHz doesnt tell you anything about the performance. If possible on a linux server to be even MORE dedicated. RAM speed also matters as does what kind of HDD is in there. If its a 1TB green drive with a 2.2GHz celeron and 4GB of 800MHz DDR2, you may have some performance issues. Also if this computer was his main computer and junked up with stuff itl suffer a huge performance hit before it even starts the server. Lots of stuff in play.

Bigglesworth

Jul 29, 2019
If its a CPU made in the last 7 years it will be fine.

No RAM speed doesnt matter.

HDD doesnt matter either.

Have you run a small server before? If you have enough RAM and a CPU that isnt a decade old youll be fine will all but the most stupid large mod packs or packs with mods that are poorly coded. I can run the Ultimate pack in a VM with 2GB ram with no issues.

krugle

Jul 29, 2019
you cant really tell me that a traditional HDD would perform the same as a SSD, and sure his ram and cpu may be sufficient for a few people (for awhile) home internet is rarely sufficient for a server I read somewhere that it is roughly 150kb/s upload speed per player and that was in regards to 1.4.7 unleashed who knows what it would be for say monster. I have the best internet plan in Canada advertised 100mb/s download 25mb/s (its more like 30mb/s down and 1.5mb/s up) so given that I personally could only really support at best 7 people that does not include latency into the equation it takes time for the little 1s and 0s to get from point A to point B, that is why I said it may be alright for people in his town/city if he is in say the midwest united states and someone from even the east coast tries to join they would probably lose 10-30% connection speed due to the distance. The reason hosted servers are infinitely better is they are built with fiber optic connections in mind wired as closely to the "backbone" of the Internets infrastructure as possible bigger highways to get the 1s and 0s to their destination as possible. Most places route their internet to a central hub (closest big city) and then it hits the fiber lines that connection could go through 10 different hubs before it gets to a fiber line each time it hits a hub it takes longer for it to get to its destination.

Worgslarg

Jul 29, 2019
I might be interested in it, if its around 50 mods, my ancient laptop forbids me from playing with much more then that.

kaovalin

Jul 29, 2019
If the CPU has the GPU built into it like a few modern chips do, that will impact performance. Any onboard solution that isnt disabled can also pull resources from the system. That 4 GB of RAM will shrink real fast because it has to be shared with the onboard/onchip solution. HDD will matter for how quickly it loads/unloads chunks when teleporting around. The rate at which the server can load and unload chunks also impacts how much RAM the server will need in order to keep everything loaded without dropping tick rate. Green drives vs regular or even SSDs have quite a difference in performance.

Things balloon on a server. I just want people to have reasonable expectations of what their hardware can do, not saying anyone cant get away with it. I believe people should have the best gaming experience possible. Only reason I suggested they might look into a server someone else was advertising on the forums with better specs.

xXMINEfartzXx

Jul 29, 2019
[quotlook rgslarg, post: 552194, member: 100060"]I might be interested in it, if its around 50 mods, my ancient laptop forbids me from playing with much more then that.[/quote]
Well looks like u got a problem then cause its more than 3 times that (1.0.9 has about 175 mods)