Getting a community

john01dav

Nov 30, 2013
Hello FTB! I have recently started up my Direwolf20 1.6.4 server. However, I am finding it difficult to find a playerbase. I have tried the following things:
- Post on FTB forums
- Listings in various server listing sites for FTB (this, and this)
- Attempting to contact 3 youtubers to have a lets play series made on my server (direwolf20, Divey1130, and odedex)
All of this, and I only got 16 joins in total. And almost constantly 0 online players. What can I do to get a community?
If you want to check my server to make sure I'm not doing something terribly wrong, the ip is mc.terraftb.pw.

DZCreeper

Jul 29, 2019
Odedex hasn't been seen in over a year. Direwolf20 has plenty of stuff to do that is better than some random server. No idea who Divey1130 is. Getting Youtube promotions from random people for a small server is silly and unprofessional.

You are joining a crowded market. Players are moving to 1.7.10 already and most servers still on 1.6.4 are on Monster. If you are making a server with the illusion of starting a large community or making your money back, its not going to happen.

john01dav

Nov 30, 2013
Odedex hasn't been seen in over a year. Direwolf20 has plenty of stuff to do that is better than some random server. No idea who Divey1130 is. Getting Youtube promotions from random people for a small server is silly and unprofessional.

You are joining a crowded market. Players are moving to 1.7.10 already and most servers still on 1.6.4 are on Monster. If you are making a server with the illusion of starting a large community or making your money back, its not going to happen.
It is not silly to try to get Youtube promotions, it is done all of the time by vanilla server owners. They just pay the Youtuber some money, almost every major non-modded Youtuber (ZexyZek, CaptainSparklelz, etc.) all do paid promotions and series.

I agree that the market is crowded, so do you recommend that I move to a beta 1.7.10 pack (I am OK with map resets, as they bring in player spikes and keep players from becoming disinterested in the server due to having everything).

Automation2000

Jul 29, 2019
If u moved your pack to something like yogscast complete some people might not be able to play for lag reasons but it's a great pack. Even if u don't can u PM me the IP I'd love to join if u have Skype PM me and we could talk about what pack and plugins

DZCreeper

Jul 29, 2019
It is not silly to try to get Youtube promotions, it is done all of the time by vanilla server owners. They just pay the Youtuber some money, almost every major non-modded Youtuber (ZexyZek, CaptainSparklelz, etc.) all do paid promotions and series.

I agree that the market is crowded, so do you recommend that I move to a beta 1.7.10 pack (I am OK with map resets, as they bring in player spikes and keep players from becoming disinterested in the server due to having everything).

Big servers get Youtube promotions. Its not a good way to start off a small server. Most of the people willing to do promotions play vanilla from my experience.

I would definitely suggest moving to a 1.7.10 pack. The best way to get a server off the ground is get into a market like 1.7.10 early with a proper server.