FTB & Plugins

Myobi

Jul 29, 2019
Hello everyone, first of all I must warn you that I'm still quite a newbe in moded MC clients...
I administrated Vanilla servers, played awhile on a Tekkit Classic servers and that was pretty much it...

Now, I'm planning to run a FTB server for a small gaming community I belong to, but I must confess that I'm in need of some good advice. I would like to avoid banning as much stuff as I can, with sounds tricky...

I always been a big fan of factions, tough most of servers now seem to use "Grief Prevention", did see some videos and I must admit it looks quite good. Problem is, that according to the plugin description, I would still need to ban a bunch of items, such as the mining laser, inclusive the entire "mystcraft" mod....

I did read some posts here and there, but still quite confused about all this. Is there actually a way to make Grief Prevention work out, should I just use another protection plugin instead?

I also welcome any other advice you feel like giving me at this point =P
Big thanks.

Greedseed

Jul 29, 2019
You dont need to ban all items, you make Mystcraft only for admins by disableling the creating of new words in the mystcraft configs by disabeling the book binder and such.

Then you get a plugin that will disable recipy's. And you will allow them again once a player gets a rank, lets say "Trusted" players can use a mining laser, but a "Freshling" cannot yet.

The reason that turtles and mining lasers are banned on so many server is that there is NO sollution!
These mod items work in a special way, they dont act as player that uses it. They act as a "Fake Player" (most of the time) So if you want to block this it wont work for anyone. Its a bit tricky and a bit of a crap issue with mods but its still how it is now.

Myobi

Jul 29, 2019
You dont need to ban all items, you make Mystcraft only for admins by disableling the creating of new words in the mystcraft configs by disabeling the book binder and such.

Then you get a plugin that will disable recipy's. And you will allow them again once a player gets a rank, lets say "Trusted" players can use a mining laser, but a "Freshling" cannot yet.

The reason that turtles and mining lasers are banned on so many server is that there is NO sollution!
These mod items work in a special way, they dont act as player that uses it. They act as a "Fake Player" (most of the time) So if you want to block this it wont work for anyone. Its a bit tricky and a bit of a crap issue with mods but its still how it is now.

Humm, sounds like a way to do it. Still, a little sad to see mystcraft having to go... though it's probably for the best, allowing players to create new worlds sound... a little expensive ? =P
Thanks for the tip mate, I really appreciate it.

Greedseed

Jul 29, 2019
Well you dont get rid of Mystcraf, you stell let them make linking books and all, you just limit the creation of new worlds to admins, so it cannot be abused. So then its up to you if you give everyone a world or just not.

And no problem, glad to help.

Myobi

Jul 29, 2019
Humm, sounds like a way to do it. Still, a little sad to see mystcraft having to go... though it's probably for the best, allowing players to create new worlds sound... a little expensive ? =P
Thanks for the tip mate, I really appreciate it.

Ohh I see, forgive me for my ignorance, I honestly didn't even try any of this yet xD
That's even better, big thanks =D!