FTB - It´s to easy, how to make it hard?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

behedwin

Jul 29, 2019
We are a group that play FTB .
But we think it is to easy.

Even with Gregtech we advance to fast and it becomes quite dull and boring when you have your quarrys and quantum suits etc.

Is there some way to make things hard, real hard?

I mean, we have the most fun in the beginning. When you struggle for your resources and you spend time to survive and not just spend time to build parts and your chests are flowing with materials.

We like it hard. We like all the mods and the variety it provides. So many mods I have not tested yet.

Enigmius1

Jul 29, 2019
Test the mods you haven't tested. If you're looking for "hard", you're playing the wrong game. Minecraft isn't set up to provide meaningful challenge. It's more about creativity and imagination. The challenge in modded Minecraft comes from the learning curve. Just because you've got the best gear and chests overflowing with goodies doesn't mean you've beaten anything or overcome any real challenge. It means you've managed a reasonable level of competency in the resource game.

atheneftw

Jul 29, 2019
you can mix together ftb and hexxit, though that will not make it hard, just a little more interesting i suppose. (also u can try the private OverLoad pack, it has like 180 mods in it)

Ember Quill

Nov 2, 2012
Try the Magic Farm pack on Hard mode. That's about as challenging as FTB gets on its own.

Besides, quarries are what I would consider "easy-mode" resource gathering. If you're building a quarry, you're not looking for a challenge. FTB is entirely self-motivated, so it's only as easy as you make it. Try just not using quarries next time. Or don't use ore-doubling machines. Or automate your item sorting and storage system WITHOUT the use of AE. Or simply do any of the things you would normally do, but without taking the easiest, cheapest option.

FTB itself is less about challenge and more about creativity, but you can create your own challenge by setting arbitrary goals and restrictions to make the game more interesting to you.

OlexaKid64

Jul 29, 2019
Set goals. Make it like vanilla minecraft where you have to make a cry from hand. But then use ftb to automate everything. Have competitions between your friends or set up little quests for them. It makes it interesting.

Siro

Jul 29, 2019

Even with Gregtech we advance to fast and it becomes quite dull and boring when you have your quarrys and quantum suits etc.

I mean, we have the most fun in the beginning. When you struggle for your resources and you spend time to survive and not just spend time to build parts and your chests are flowing with materials.

We like it hard. We like all the mods and the variety it provides. So many mods I have not tested yet.

Well, without adding or removing mods, there's always the option of setting a personal challenge (vanilla minecraft forums are great for ideas for this). If you want a few mods your community can install, I'd recommend things along the lines of hunger overhaul, infernal mobs and zombie awareness.

Ember Quill

Nov 2, 2012
Ummm, diamond BC pipes and vanilla hoppers are certainly less convenient than an ME network but not exactly what most people would consider...challenging?
The point I was trying to make was that a lot of people tend to use the cheapest, easiest, or sometimes just the most convenient methods to accomplish things, then take to the forums to complain about how it's too easy. I wouldn't say using other forms of sorting/storage would be more difficult, but rather it would be less convenient and more time-consuming. The OP seemed to be complaining about running out of things to do, so making tasks take longer is just another way to add what some people consider to be "difficulty".

tl;dr it was just an example. Not a particularly well-thought-out example, but the point I was trying to make was that in a game like Minecraft, you need to create your own challenge.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.

Its not FTB but ...its hard. Forget everything you ever learned about MC.
Watch the world change as your mere presence corrupts the landscape around you...
...As you compete with nature over a dwindling food supply...
...As the world hits you back. Hard.
Everything and Anything is out to kill- all you have are the tools to bend the world to your will....​
Survive and conquer your world or die trying.​
Good luck - and don't forget to bring shears.​

Kitchen_Fire

Jul 29, 2019
My problem is not with difficultly level but with the speed in which I get to endgame content. I have conversations with people on my server all the time about how they don't know what do next... I made it a point to slow way down, not use quarries, try to focus on one mod at a time, not use solars for power, and not wear quantum or power suits. Personally, the game has gotten so much better. Sure I still collect stupid amounts of resources but most of the time it is things I will never use. I am not interested in the most efficient builds anymore but focus on the builds I think are the most fun. Again, as angelnc mentioned, its all about setting goals and limitations for yourself.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Look for Velo's Configs for FTB, they should be sticked(keyword "Should"). Find the Hardmode config. Then play Unhinged with those Configs.
Also don't use Quarries. Half the problem is gone the minute you don't use them.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
My problem is not with difficultly level but with the speed in which I get to endgame content. I have conversations with people on my server all the time about how they don't know what do next... I made it a point to slow way down, not use quarries, try to focus on one mod at a time, not use solars for power, and not wear quantum or power suits. Personally, the game has gotten so much better. Sure I still collect stupid amounts of resources but most of the time it is things I will never use. I am not interested in the most efficient builds anymore but focus on the builds I think are the most fun. Again, as angelnc mentioned, its all about setting goals and limitations for yourself.
TerraFirmaCraft sounds like right up your alley. It really throttles the speed at which you can get to endgame content, it makes said endgame content entertaining and challenging, even when you have end-tier tools and materials, and it has a lot of verisimilitude and internal consistency built in.

Other than that, here's some challenges to try out for yourself:

1) Plain Jane Tools. Never augment, enchant, or otherwise enhance your tools. This includes upgrades and TiCo modifiers. If you can build it, you can use it. If it requires another tool to build, no-go.

2) Home Owner's Association Member. Your home must be 'up to code'. This includes using proper building material (such as stone brick blocks instead of cobblestone), All piping and wiring must be 'up to code' and not visible. Must have a neatly trimmed and manicured lawn (i.e. no creeper or 'civilization' holes) which is not cluttered with excessive things (such as torches, basically if you can hide it aesthetically, you can have it). Must have a proper roof with overhang and gutters. Must be decorated tastefully. Must have clearly designated rooms for your industrial machines, power generation, storage and autocrafting, living, dining, restroom facilities, and 'greenhouse' rooms which are separate. Must not have a mining operation entrance in your actual household, it has to be in a seperate facility, which must be in an enclosed building and otherwise comply with all building code and regulations. Other restrictions may apply depending on how restrictive you feel you want your HOA to be.

3) No powered equipment. We don't need no steenkin' power tools or powered armor 'round here. This pick was good enough for my grandfather back in the days of Beta, and it's good enough for me!

4) Never Ending Story. Do not complete any End Portals.

5) Whether wilt thou wither? You are prohibited from building an arena are for fighting the wither. Nor may you fight the Wither from within your home or on any property you have claimed as yours, they are against your city's pet ordinance. You may take advantage of naturally spawned terrain (nether fortress, village, abandoned mine, or dungeon) as long as you have not done any significant improvements to the property. You most certainly are prohibited from using an MFFS system to contain the wither to fight in. Furthermore, you MUST fight the wither every time you collect three wither skulls. You may never have more than two wither skulls in storage at any given time, unless you have stored them at base and are returning to collect them to build the wither.

6) Forcefields are for wimps! Never use any item from the MFFS mod.

7) E does not equal MC squared! Do not use anything from Applied Energistics. Fortunately, Iron Chests mod is still permitted.

Alcheya

Jul 29, 2019
Moving from Ultimate to Unleashed, I felt the same way losing Gregtech, but I've been playing for at least a few weeks now. I decided to touch all the mods and really learn everything. I even went into bee/tree breeding, which I normally don't do. Actually trying to do everything is what keeps the game going and keeps it interesting. FTB has a lot more to offer than just getting materials and making a sorting room.