FTB Horizons - General Feedback Thread

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
Status
Not open for further replies.

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
Woah nelly... (good album pun not intended) This thing is busy... Definitely hard. probably the thing that is irritating me is the map mod (opus?). Can't show grids and I'm really wanting some visual ques of markers. But I don't know a thing about anything of the terrain features. Very surprised on the number of loot oppertunities (2 dungeons, 3 darkwood tree chests). Can't find even a "flatish" area anywhere. Some of the difficulty is orienting to just van 1.6 too.[DOUBLEPOST=1386557999][/DOUBLEPOST]I think it is a good idea to put up a pack of experimental stuff. Just a question... This Galacticraft or whatever... Is that something that is available to FTB? Just wondered why that or something to its nature hasn't been considered.

FyberOptic

Jul 29, 2019
This guy upsets me. How in a game called Minecraft did he not consider mining an option. The quarry made resource gathering too easy, IMHO. There's also great alternetives from Thaumcraft and other mods.

If you ask me, digging with a 3x3 tool thanks to mods like Tinkers is a very satisfying experience. It almost brings back that same feeling of using the Destruction Catalyst. You get lots of resources, and explore in the process. When your inventory is full you just send it home via an ender pouch. I can't even remember the last time I set up a quarry because of it. Buildcraft Tools is another nice mod with 3x3 tools which I suggest that folks look up sometime.

..and I just remembered, no Ender Storage means you need a new way! Maybe magic mirrors? Something else I've never had much reason to play with till now.

Reactions: PierceSG

Jadedcat

Jul 29, 2019
Woah nelly... (good album pun not intended) This thing is busy... Definitely hard. probably the thing that is irritating me is the map mod (opus?). Can't show grids and I'm really wanting some visual ques of markers. But I don't know a thing about anything of the terrain features. Very surprised on the number of loot oppertunities (2 dungeons, 3 darkwood tree chests). Can't find even a "flatish" area anywhere. Some of the difficulty is orienting to just van 1.6 too.[DOUBLEPOST=1386557999][/DOUBLEPOST]I think it is a good idea to put up a pack of experimental stuff. Just a question... This Galacticraft or whatever... Is that something that is available to FTB? Just wondered why that or something to its nature hasn't been considered.

We had issues in testing with Galatcicraft.

Mazemaster97

Jul 29, 2019
So in regards to saving worlds, will the worlds that we make with any 1.6.4 packs be available when packs are updated? I know that the ones that we currently have in Unleashed or DW20 are not compatible, but will this happen every time packs update/new packs come out? Thanks!

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
So in regards to saving worlds, will the worlds that we make with any 1.6.4 packs be available when packs are updated? I know that the ones that we currently have in Unleashed or DW20 are not compatible, but will this happen every time packs update/new packs come out? Thanks!
The hope is, with the universal config, that worlds will stay compatible through future updates. However the future may hold unexpected turns which make this impossible.

On another random note will people be able to submit mod configs to be added to the universal config? That would make it A LOT easier to cover a much more vast array of mods.

Reactions: jokermatt999

Mazemaster97

Jul 29, 2019
The hope is, with the universal config, that worlds will stay compatible through future updates. However the future may hold unexpected turns which make this impossible.

Thank you, and yes, the future is certainly gray due to the vast changes going on in minecraft. But it is very good that things are at least projected to remain constant! :)

Reactions: Hoff

Ashzification

Jul 29, 2019
Haven't gotten to much playing yet, but it definitely showed some of my mods are out of date.
And I do like how it's nicer/smoother than my "lite" pack of 140 mods ;)

Flipz

Jul 29, 2019
EDIT: *High-five's Jaded*

Very interesting! Looks like I'll have to dive right in and see what's up, once I get my stream settings fixed. ;)

Jadedcat

Jul 29, 2019
Haven't gotten to much playing yet, but it definitely showed some of my mods are out of date.
And I do like how it's nicer/smoother than my "lite" pack of 140 mods ;)

You're too busy doing tech support. Sorry no play times for you or me :(

Ashzification

Jul 29, 2019
You're too busy doing tech support. Sorry no play times for you or me :(
Off topic: I bought pokemon x and I have a kitten. No time for anything at all

On topic: um....where to start? Such a small pack, filled with mods I know little about...

Nohl

Jul 29, 2019
Where any reason were given on why some mods are disabled? Blood Magic and ArchimedesShips

Jadedcat

Jul 29, 2019
Where any reason were given on why some mods are disabled? Blood Magic and ArchimedesShips

Blood Magic was deemed possibly a bit too adult for some children. *shrug* Its an awesome mod though.

AS is very hard on servers. We don't want a server owner having it enabled without choosing to do so.

Both mods can be enabled. They are in the pack just disabled by default for this pack.

Last edited:

eric167

Jul 29, 2019
I think it's an aptly named pack, because it's definitely going to encourage people to try/invent new ways of doing things. I haven't heard of or played with several of these mods, myself!

I've clicked on a few streams of people playing it. One guy seemed to be in total disbelief that there was no IC2, Dartcraft, or Buildcraft. He didn't know how he would get resources without a quarry. I honestly think he was completely reconsidering whether he wanted to be playing that pack.

Quite oppositely, a different guy was trying to play it, realized he didn't really have any idea what he was doing with some of these mods, and went to creative mode to play around. He seemed to like it and kept trying to get one of his friends to play it with him as well. He also stumbled onto that Advanced Genetics mod crash, but I was able to let him know that it was a known issue.

I think the pack will be enjoyable for new people, or those who are completely bored of starting/playing the game the same way. Others who are more set in their ways however will likely completely hate it. But that's why there's multiple packs, because not every pack is for everybody, so to each his own.

rotary craft has a few ways for auto-mining. similar to the RC tunnel bore but a fair bit more expensive/setup intensive. besides, huge processing multiplier! you can keep your silly 2x and 3x processing systems. iridium is rare no more!
its really "the" tech mod in this pack.
ive been following the development in the orginal thread.
its the main thing ive been messing around with in creative along with reactorcraft.

sorta glanced through the other stuff. looks neat.

really great showcase. thanks for putting it together.

Physicist

Jul 29, 2019
For Thaumcraft, the player needs to be given the wand recipe and thaumonomicon creation method to get started.

What about Blood Magic, Ars Magicka, Witchery, etc.? How does a person get started with those and are they spoiler sensitive the way TC is?

jokermatt999

Jul 29, 2019
This pack is full of so many mods I'd wanted to check out! There's a lot in here that would fit into a good large modpack. I'm really liking the look of RotaryCraft especially. I'm definitely glad this pack came out first, because there's so much new stuff to dive into.

I think the universal configs is a great change, and a worthy cause. It'd be nice to get all mod authors to strive for compatability, but this is probably the most realistic solution.

Other mod thoughts: N'thing "I wish LP didn't rely on BC", but it seems that would be tricky. I'm sad AS eats servers, but maybe I can convince my friend to try it on our private server. Roguelike dungeons: I don't know what this is, but I'm sold on the name alone.

Also, (semi-controversial opinion) I'm actually glad 1.7 is going to take a while. If 1.6 sticks around, we're more likely to have stable worlds and tons of mod updates rather than either having to roll our own packs or jealously look at new updates for a version we aren't on yet. Since it sounds like the new launcher has made a lot of progress, I'm guessing it may be done before 1.7 (but software delays are always unpredictable). If that's the case, then it will just be a case of waiting for mods to update to 1.7. Honestly though, the only Vanilla feature I really want is Amplified terrain gen, and I'd rather have it with BoP anyway. I think 1.6 being the main version for a while could actually be a very good thing for the cohesiveness of the modded Minecraft community.

Thanks for all your hard work, and good job so far!

Reactions: Flipz and Jadedcat

JoeOtaku

Jul 29, 2019
I would say its a great mod pack with lots of new things that I played around with. The lack of IC2 and BC were problems with going into servival since i love them so much and they are really helpful (and i love quantum armor and gravichestplate and vajra), but if this is a pack that is ment to show new packs not old ones then i have no problem. thermal expansion was great though.

Thaumcraft 4 is really fun to mess around with, since there were lots new to the mod and i had a fun time researching and building and making my flux go out the roof. Taint is really annoying though. I don't really rotary craft since i cant really transport energy across my base simpily by placing wires like i can with ic2 and the new ways of mining it brings is not that good compaired to quarries in my mind. The TiC addon was really cool and made TiC a much useful mod overall.

Also, i tried to get a survival world going and i found the early game stage to be really hard with this pack. maybe im spoiled by dartcraft but who knows. i died quite a few times compaired to say when i started unleashed survival. There do seems to be less glitch and frame drops compaired to unleashed.

BTW will there be any packs with triditional mods like mfr and ic2 and bc with their addons comming out? i still prefer bc and ic2 over rotery craft. Just asking.

Status
Not open for further replies.