Free Power - The Self Sustaining Turbine

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
I finally got around to snapping a pic of my self sustaining Turbine setup. I've mentioned this setup in a number of different threads, and I figured it was time to put it in the open. Note that I don't pretend to have an eye for building beautiful things.

This was made with the Infinity Pack with unchanged configs, but should work in most packs that have the relevant machines..

5UyIlZn.jpg

I had originally this done with EnderIO conduits, but I've decided I needed more love for Thermal Dynamics. There is something unexplainably pleasing about seeing items flying through those pipes, and the Cryo-Stabilized Fluxducts are amazing in both aesthetics and function.

So, in case you've not heard the breakdown bedore, the MFR Lava Fabricator feeds lava into the Fluid Transposer beside it, which is then placed into buckets. The buckets are sent along the Impulse Itemducts via Resonant Servo with a whitelist including only Lava Buckets. Those buckets are fed into open slots in the MFR Steam Boilers (five boilers per Turbine) to be used as fuel. Empty buckets are drawn back into the Fluid Transposer via Resonant Retriever with a whitelist of only Empty Buckets. The servo and retriever are the only two filters at play in this system, and of course are set to ignore redstone signal.

The water for the boilers is being pulled from the turbine with a pair of XU Liquid Transfer Nodes (a stack of Speed Upgrades in each) on Turbine Fluid Ports. One would probably sufffice, but I liked the look with the pair. The water goes into the boilers, becomes steam, and is automatically pushed into the Turbine Fluid Ports behind. The turbine actually creates more water than it uses to generate the steam, so extra is being put into Ender Tanks leading to off site storage. The Turbine Controller is set to void overflow, so if storage needs a top off, it provides it, but otherwise it just voids excess to save turbine performance.

Power (just over 28KRF/t per Turbine) is being pushed into Cryo-Stabilized Fluxducts which feed the Lava Fabricator and Fluid Transposer. Excess power is stored in the wall of Capacitor Banks, with overflow feeding via Tesseract to a Draconic Evolution Energy Sphere (housed in another dimension).

The Lava Fabricator/Fluid Transposer combo can feed up to three turbines worth of boilers (15) without falling behind. With the Infinity Pack, that's a touch over 84KRF/t without outside input.

Note that this setup was not built with being compact as a goal, but the footprint of the machines and piping are minimal. If the turbines were closer together, they could potentially share ducts and transfer pipes.

Dylz101

Jul 29, 2019
Very cool, self sustaining power is something I have wanted for a while. I have only used the reactor to power a turbine so this will be rather interesting setup for me.

Reactions: ucantrunaway