Forestry Tree Farms.. possibly bug?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Kaffefilter

Jul 29, 2019
Godmorning all.

So the other day I was rebuidling my base, as we wanted all on our server to be fairly close to get a "village" atmosphere.
When I setup my tree farm again, I ran into an issue.
All my farms has a Wrathlamp above them to light them up at night.
The lamps are about 20 blocks above, and yet I cannot get my tree farm to work without moving it.
For me it wasen't a big deal, just move it and bam, trees growing.

However, the real issue isn't on me, but a buddy of mine.
Hence he wanted a diffrent system than me, he choose to build hes farms and process lines below in a huge manmade cave.

According to Forestry's wiki the height is 10 required, and hes cave is 15.

Has anyone encountered the same issue as us? or even better found a solution for the same problem?

Cheers,
Kaffe

Turned out it was the actual wrathlamp causing the issue

Shinrei186

Jul 29, 2019
we had a weird issue with the lamp and the build craft builder where the builder was trying to delete the light given off by the lamp. It may be an issue with the lamps not the tree farms.

Stanekk

Jul 29, 2019
So, as the wrathlamp might create "solid" light blocks, they may block the trees from growing.

Shinrei186

Jul 29, 2019
So, as the wrathlamp might create "solid" light blocks, they may block the trees from growing.

that's the issue I assumed when i saw how they were reacting with the builder. Might be the way they were coded to get light to travel that far. But honestly I haven't looked into how they work just noticed a similar issue.

Stanekk

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah and that's how i tried to rethink the issue with the farm. I'm not into coding at all, but what you're saying makes sense

Shinrei186

Jul 29, 2019
Im not much into coding myself but I was really impressed with how far the light reached on those lamps =P. anyway id try moving the lamps and maybe its a bug or something and will be fixed in the future.

Bibble

Jul 29, 2019
I believe it's a quirk of how the wrathlamp works, as has been said. Light can only travel a maximum of 15 blocks, so they need to create invisible sources to flood an area with light. It's the same reason that a quarry will follow a mining helmet if you're wearing one. Any blocks that create light are viewed as solid by most things (quarry, trees, etc.).

damnedsky

Jul 29, 2019
Haven't played so much with the wrath lamp but do the tree farms work if you put the lamp below or jut next to the farms?

CoderJ

Jul 29, 2019
Just use torches; flood lights (wrath lamps are not alone in this) can cause all sorts of fun issues because of their invisible light source blocks with automated systems that try to clear/use that space (since the lamp block will restore the block right after the break, causing these things to hang or just start to grind out the server resources). I like wrath lamps in my workshop area, but in the tree farm/wheat farm area, it's all aluminum torches :) (was jack o lanterns before that)

Reactions: Zelfana