Family Gaming

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Indie

Jul 29, 2019
Whilst chatting to Staxed on another thread, he mentioned running a server for his family. I too run a server for myself, 2 daughters and their 2 friends. I prefer to build automated machines whilst my youngest likes to build and furnish buildings. My eldest just likes to mine!

Does anyone else play with family? Do the parents show the kids how it's done? Do the kids beat their parents in PvP? It'd be interesting to see just how many families play together.

Indie

Jul 29, 2019
Would it be cliché to call you the best parent ever? :eek:

I'm used to growing up in a household where playing video games is considered the most disgusting and depraved of sins.

I'm trying to figure out if you come under the 'parent' or 'kid' category. You could fit in either with that response! lol

Indie

Jul 29, 2019
My dad and my mum say they both get "headaches" when they play games, however my mum taught me how to play Mario Kart when I was like 5 on the Nintendo 64. But my sister and brother game as well but they are Tekkit kids :(

I must admit, I'm a 'Tekkit Kid' too. But they've asked me to try out FTB on the server to see what else they can do.

Something just occurred to me. In this day and age it seems strange that my kids like plopping engines everywhere they can fit one, whereas I prefer the solar panels. It should be me who wants to get my hands dirty while they play with the high tech gadgets!

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
I believe engines are much more fun in mechanical sense. Unlike solar where you just place them down and wait for energy.

Reactions: schyman

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
I'm actually a little envious about that. I can't even convince my clost friends to pkay minecraft. :'(

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
Myself, my wife, my daughter and my son all play (all at the same time sometimes). I'm the mechnical genius whereas my wife loves just doing the basics (building houses and mining). My daughter does everything and my son just wants to pvp.

Reactions: Indie

kasper_tfg

Jul 29, 2019
I build a modpack for my two boys and daughter, as well as run a server at home that we all play on together. It provides quality family time on a small budget while they learn about many facets of life. I am also a Comp Sci (Games tech) student so it allows me an insight into what the future generations of gamers will want and expect in games.

Indie

Jul 29, 2019
I believe engines are much more fun in mechanical sense. Unlike solar where you just place them down and wait for energy.
I agree with you there. In Tekkit I was obsessed with making a High Voltage Solar Array factory. I managed it eventually. It churned out a few chest loads of arrays, when all we really needed was 1 or 2 each lol.
But with FTB I'm going to explore other avenues. Engines and their various fuels, and Thaumcraft too. And I'm sure I'll have a few late nights programming Turtles!![DOUBLEPOST=1376479413][/DOUBLEPOST]
You're best parent BTW :)
Shucks :rolleyes:

Indie

Jul 29, 2019
I build a modpack for my two boys and daughter, as well as run a server at home that we all play on together. It provides quality family time on a small budget while they learn about many facets of life. I am also a Comp Sci (Games tech) student so it allows me an insight into what the future generations of gamers will want and expect in games.
I've toyed with the idea of creating a mod pack, to include the mods we like, and exclude the ones we don't. (Ok, after reading that back to myself, it's completely obvious that's what a mod pack is for!!). Specifically to see if we can set challenges or projects without using some of the mods which make these particular things easy. I hope that makes sense!
On a side note, I'd love to build an adventure map some day. :)

Reactions: SpitefulFox

whd23

Jul 29, 2019
I wish.

The wife hates Minecraft, or rather she hates that I play Minecraft. Probably in the way an alcoholic's wife might hate beer. lol

I've played some with my son and nephew (hosting on my own server) but they're more interested in creative build than survival play and creative bores me to tears. I'd rather not play Minecraft than play it in creative mode; creative is for testing resource-intensive builds before committing to them in my main world. So it's SSP for me nearly 100% of the time.

Reactions: Vixation

zilvarwolf

Jul 29, 2019
Heh. My wife would love to be able to play, but gets headaches from playing. Something about a fishbowl effect (and that's with the viewing angle all the way down...she goes to the bathroom to hurl if I turn it up to quake pro levels)

My son's too young, but watches, and my daughter claims that she doesn't want to get hooked on the game without having beaten some of her current backlog. :)

Staxed

Jul 29, 2019
Well since my name was mentioned I guess I'll post too :).

I run a server right now with me, my wife, my younger brother, and my older brother. I'm debating getting two more accounts for my children so they can play as well by themselves, but I'm not sure I'm ready to release them into the server quite yet (5 and 8). Trying to get my mother to play as well, she insists one online game is enough for her though (we all also play Lord of the Rings Online as a family, me, wife, mom, cousin, two brothers, and both daughters...though the 5 year old just likes to fish...).

I consider myself very blessed to be able to use video games as family/bonding time...sure beats going out into the sunlight! :D

----- On a side note, I almost got divorced 8 years ago because I was addicted to World of Warcraft...I quit WoW cold turkey, haven't touched it since...and then got my wife hookd on LotRO...and that's how the family gaming began :).

And I'm with Indie on solar panels...I like to use them to start my main power generation. Though I love big builds (I'm in the process of building a 30 story skyscraper...consists of about 100K blocks), it's going to include pretty much every machine that can be made in the "mechanical rooms", as well as residential areas for the family :) (59 wide, 111 long, 181 tall...not including the basement levels)

zorn

Jul 29, 2019
I run into the problem that my son wants to play creative mode or 'skydoesminecraft' type mods/maps that to me are ridiculously boring, but he doesn't enjoy the machines/tech mods like I do. Do you guys just play separately or do you suck it up and play what is boring to you? I try but I can only take it for so long before quitting.

I had hoped minecraft would be something my son and I could play together and both enjoy, but unfortunately he only wants to play modes that drive me crazy. :/

@Indie, do you mine and build buildings with your kids, or do you let them mine and build, while you work on your base next door in the same world?

Staxed

Jul 29, 2019
I run into the problem that my son wants to play creative mode or 'skydoesminecraft' type mods/maps that to me are ridiculously boring, but he doesn't enjoy the machines/tech mods like I do. Do you guys just play separately or do you suck it up and play what is boring to you? I try but I can only take it for so long before quitting.

I had hoped minecraft would be something my son and I could play together and both enjoy, but unfortunately he only wants to play modes that drive me crazy. :/

@Indie, do you mine and build buildings with your kids, or do you let them mine and build, while you work on your base next door in the same world?

Right now me, wife, brothers play on a survival world (my base is quite a bit more advanced than theirs...they are still used to vanilla minecraft), though if I get my girls accounts so they can get on, I will most likely create another world set to creative mode for them...then run over there to play with them while they are on. I'm with you, I don't enjoy creative mode that much unless I'm planning a build. While I do you quarries/turtles/etc to get my items...I'm still actively earning them so it feels like progress at least...unlike getting everything for free in creative.

NashuLee

Jul 29, 2019
Yah, my son and I have such a different gaming style, we don't play together. Though I would like to start a world where we do. Are you guys running a server in your home or are you hosting it somewhere outside?

Staxed

Jul 29, 2019
Yah, my son and I have such a different gaming style, we don't play together. Though I would like to start a world where we do. Are you guys running a server in your home or are you hosting it somewhere outside?

Mine is hosted on one of my dedicated servers, I intend to open a public server again soon, so figured I might as well start it on that.