Factorization: My thoughts and suggestions

What do you think of the new updates?

• Bring back the old features, get rid of most of the current new ones.

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Don't bring back the old features, but keep the new.

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Bring back the old features, and keep the new.

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • I don't know, but the twisted blocks are going to break something.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

SirHOBO

Nov 22, 2012
<slightly off topic> I always had fun trying to automate FZ back in older versions. My biggest complaint was always that the built in generous ore spawn was disabled for I guess cofh ore gen. I have not used FZ mainly because I never had enough silver and lead. By the time I had enough, I was quarrying and didn't need it.

Broomstone

Jul 29, 2019
[...]
But there are some reasons I don't like it:

Sometimes it's too complicated. The servos could be a bit more intuitive. The compression crafters are hopeless to automate, at least for me. Some things in it are just a bit extreme.
Although I agree that there is a degree of dificulty in learning how to use them, I disagree about it not being intuitive. Ever since the manual was properly implemented it became very simple to understand what each thing does, the rest can easily be discovered through trial and error. Discovery is also part of the experience. (believe me I've been messing with then from the very begining and the joy of finding out how to do stuff is ingrained in my brain : )

Also, there is the fact that it's hard to find a use for it. There are so many possibilities, yet most of the time there is another mod that does the same task and is easier to set up, or else you just can't find any reason to use it. The only super-useful thing I can think of is the triple-ore processing, which some mods are already starting to jump on to. For example, Thermal expansion now has 3x ore processing using cinnabar, which I personally really dislike. 3 ingots for one ore should not be that easy. I feel like eventually FZ will be completely gone from mod packs, replaced by simpler, easier, probably boring-er (I know, it's not really a word) mods. Which is really a shame, since I love the concept and idea of complicated in-world machines.
I believe that this situation is only plausable if you are playing with a pack that basically, has a lot of mods. For you to experience a mod like factorization I think you need to make a pack based around it, with a more restricted number of mods. If you want to play with a mod, well I think you should play with it.

Next time you find yourself saying you would prefer to make a wheat farm with Forestry instead of trying with Factorization just because it is easier, please ask yourself "Why do I want to do it the easier way?" (challenge accepeted!)

About the new updates:

I don't like them. Sure, they're kind of cool, like being able to rotate blocks with the twisted dark iron block, but I feel like they're kind of useless. They don't really do anything, [...]

DUDE. Drawbriges, REAL ONES. As well as amazing doors. And I imagine it is an amazing tool for map creators. Also, give it some time, the way the mod is going now it probably will lead to some amazing things (hint, hint, look the link below)

My suggestions:

Bring back the old features [...]

Add more features [...]
In relation to old features I too miss them, but I am enjoying the new stuff.

Well if you want more features why don't you check his list of things he's going to do and consider giving him some incentive? It is on his patreon page:

https://www.patreon.com/neptunepink

Last but not least, why no mention of the sculpting? It's really cool.

asiekierka

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
Dec 24, 2013
Yeah, I'll probably add router reborn to my pack, I just wish they were back in factorization, and the FZ texture was better IMO. I didn't see anything with craftpackets in Buildcraft, do you mean the auto-workbench?

1. Unity has superior Router Reborn textures
2. BuildCraft 7.0.2 adds a Recipe Packager and Stamping Table

Wolfie_Waffle

Jul 29, 2019
DUDE. Drawbriges, REAL ONES. As well as amazing doors. And I imagine it is an amazing tool for map creators. Also, give it some time, the way the mod is going now it probably will lead to some amazing things (hint, hint, look the link below)

Hmm, that looks interesting. I would like the dark iron smiting and the ore processing MK II, the first seems factorization-y, and the second would give people a reason to use it. No doubt though, if that happens mods will start having 4x ore processing or something... -_- The drawbridges seem cool, if they don't glitch, otherwise they'd just be a nuisance. But considering how well the servos work, it doesn't look like he'd cut corners or anything.

1. Unity has superior Router Reborn textures
2. BuildCraft 7.0.2 adds a Recipe Packager and Stamping Table

I guess it's more of an opinion thing. I liked the FZ texture better :p
For the buildcraft tables:
Yeah, I guess my point was that since now buildcraft has them it gives another reason to ignore FZ. And I haven't really seen the BC ones, but my idea for the FZ ones was to use them as a cheap early game autocrafting system.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Wait, you mean FZ is still being updated and maintained? I thought it had died out years ago.

It was a bold idea, but never really caught on. Even when DW20 used it in one season, it was still largely ignored.

asiekierka

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
Dec 24, 2013
Yeah, I guess my point was that since now buildcraft has them it gives another reason to ignore FZ. And I haven't really seen the BC ones, but my idea for the FZ ones was to use them as a cheap early game autocrafting system.

Well, in BC the cheap early game autocrafting system is the Auto Workbench - slow, hardcoded, but works. The Packaging system is meant to be an upgrade, allowing you to dynamically change materials and create crafting networks (as well as projectiles - packages can double as throwables), as well as use container items like buckets inside recipes. It's also supposed to fix the ACT's biggest issue - requiring a laser setup for every crafting table.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Sorry, say what you like, but the Auto Workbench is still the most stupidly useful block in the game. I use a lot of barrels. So being able to thump down a bunch of tables and feed wood into them, and have barrels come out the other end is incredibly useful. Being able to automate them completely without Redstone is also awesome.

On Factorization though: I think one of the problems was always lack of any internal automation. It was always reliant on outside mods for item transport. The addition of Servos changed that, but at the same time, the loss of the Router hurt it. Without the router, there's no real easy way to insert items into the wall of barrels.

I do still use the packager, because it's incredibly quick to crush 4's or 9's into block form. (I'm playing Monster where I get copious amounts of Fluorite from Rotarycraft.)

asiekierka

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
Dec 24, 2013
Sorry, say what you like, but the Auto Workbench is still the most stupidly useful block in the game. I use a lot of barrels. So being able to thump down a bunch of tables and feed wood into them, and have barrels come out the other end is incredibly useful. Being able to automate them completely without Redstone is also awesome.

The Recipe Packager is meant for different workflows - imagine a complex crafting system with multiple steps, dynamic material changes (building a TE machine item-by-item or OpenComputers) and the requirement for absolute fastest speeds. It's supposed to be an alternate option to the Auto Workbench, not its higher tier.

The Workbench is good for simple systems, the Packager is good for complex systems.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
I haven't really had a chance to play with Packager yet. I will in a couple weeks when my new computer is finished. For right now, three logs give me an Auto-workbench. Which means it's the cheapest method of automation around.

Auto-workbench does all those things, except for doing it fast, and since I don't care about that, it's not an issue for me. Though honestly, it used to be instant back in 1.4.7. I remember using it for quite a bit and was somewhat disappointed when it changed. Which is why I swapped to using the packager.